Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Servos on a Stepper System <--Thanks

  • Will Schmit
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2009
      Thanks a lot guys -- that is encouraging.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2009
        Check out www.granitedevices.fi They have some really nice servo drives that will run almost any motor made.
      • Will Schmit
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2009
          Actually, I have a whole box of Teknic servo drives -- but,I found out way too late that there is ZERO support if you aren't Intel, Signetics, Sumotomo (take your pick). Even guys that work for wafer handling companies look down on "us". Kewl - I'm not naming names, but, a major producer of Pentium chips is downsizing their USA workforce, and those "helpful" types are working at Home Depot.

          A part of me says "outfits that play that way deserve what fate throws their way", so as long as they don't need experimenters, they won't have any. Open sources and grassroots supported hardware companies can always look forward to hobbyists to bring more customers. Lets assume that one of those newbies is a cub scout that develops a new use for motion control equipment --- it is unlikely that it will be pioneered on equipment that is unfamiliar to him/her.

          It is unlikely that a mentor will be using unsupported equipment.

          In this case, I would love to find someone that knows how to separate the devices, so I can replace the servo with a stepper, and just "rock-on" using all steppers - all gecko, Mach3, G code.

          Unlike that cub scout, I don't have time to figger it out.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2009
            Not quite any motor, their drives do seem to be good, but last I looked they
            had pulled the higher voltage ones off the market.

            There is another drive manufacturer with HV drives for the bigger motors, I
            have one for test which looks very well made, and from my discussions with
            the designer very well designed, hopefully I'll get time to run it up in the
            next few weeks, when I'll post more details. (prices are good too).

            Regs Mark

            Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D., B.Eng. M0VAU

            Managing Director

            Vaughan Industries Ltd., reg in UK no 2561068

            Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

            Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH UK.

            Phone/Fax 44 (0) 1872 561288

            RSGB DRM111 (Cornwall)

              > Actually, I have a whole box of Teknic servo drives -- but,I found out way too late that there is ZERO support if you aren't Intel, Signetics, Sumotomo (take your pick).

              Teknic drives aren't bad. I've got 2 machines running them (with Mach 3), and setup isn't that big a deal unless you have some REALLY old ones. I'm running XCX, ACX, and UCX drives...they all work fine. The worst part is wiring up all the molex connectors...jeez I hate those things.

              --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Mark Vaughan" <mark@...> wrote:

              > Not quite any motor, their drives do seem to be good, but last I looked they
              > had pulled the higher voltage ones off the market.
              >
              > There is another drive manufacturer with HV drives for the bigger motors, I
              > have one for test which looks very well made, and from my discussions with
              > the designer very well designed, hopefully I'll get time to run it up in the
              > next few weeks, when I'll post more details. (prices are good too).

              Hmmm, they might not run motors at full speed, but they'll still function just fine. I'm very interested in your "secret" drive manufacturer. Are these 100% digital drives with a nice PC tuning setup??
            • H & J Johnson
              Message 6 of 10 , May 5, 2009
                Mark I'm a bit late to the party but just for the record Tero is in the process
                of addapting the power stage of the VSD-E drives to be able to drive 160vdc
                and 30amps! They should be on the market in 3-4 months as per last reports.

                Fwiw

                Jarrett [I've got VSD-A drives and LOVE them!! ]