Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Spindle Setup with VFD

  • gcode fi (hanermo)
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
      You need an analog out board, like the c6 from cnc4pc.
      It takes the step/dir and converts to 0-10v.
      I have some, they work fine.

      wildgrav wrote:

      > Hi All
      >
      > Could someone please explain how you get 0-10 using step/dir in
      > Ports/Pins. Motor Outputs / Spindle. Where do the two pins go after
      > that. The VFD has 0-10 input and a common so how does step/Dir fit with
      > that.
      >
      > Ports/Pins, Spindle Setup allows you to choose a pin for the relay and
      > the Step Direction for Motor control. Is there a flow chart for dummies?
      > Using SS and a C23.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Noel

    • wildgrav
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
        The CNC4PC C23 Board which I have has a 0-10 out. assigned to pin 14. I cannot figure how step/dir (2 Pins) relates to that??

        --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "gcode fi (hanermo)" <yahoog@...> wrote:

        > You need an analog out board, like the c6 from cnc4pc.
        > It takes the step/dir and converts to 0-10v.
        > I have some, they work fine.
        >
        > wildgrav wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi All
        > >
        > > Could someone please explain how you get 0-10 using step/dir in
        > > Ports/Pins. Motor Outputs / Spindle. Where do the two pins go after
        > > that. The VFD has 0-10 input and a common so how does step/Dir fit with
        > > that.
        > >
        > > Ports/Pins, Spindle Setup allows you to choose a pin for the relay and
        > > the Step Direction for Motor control. Is there a flow chart for dummies?
        > > Using SS and a C23.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > Noel

      • gcode fi (hanermo)
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
          Sorry ! - Did not remember about the an/out (As I use a C25).

          I have a multifunction board as well, on another lathe, and on that the
          analog out was just like wiring to a kbic speed controller, just like
          the c6, just like the vfd.
          Use a separate power supply for the analog out unless things have changed !

          What is your difficulty ?
          In wiring, or mach setup, or exactly where ... if you let me know where
          you are, I can maybe go look at mine.

          wildgrav wrote:

          > The CNC4PC C23 Board which I have has a 0-10 out. assigned to pin 14.
          > I cannot figure how step/dir (2 Pins) relates to that??
          >
          > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>, "gcode fi (hanermo)"
          > <yahoog@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > You need an analog out board, like the c6 from cnc4pc.
          > > It takes the step/dir and converts to 0-10v.
          > > I have some, they work fine.
          > >
          > > wildgrav wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Hi All
          > > >
          > > > Could someone please explain how you get 0-10 using step/dir in
          > > > Ports/Pins. Motor Outputs / Spindle. Where do the two pins go after
          > > > that. The VFD has 0-10 input and a common so how does step/Dir fit
          > with
          > > > that.
          > > >
          > > > Ports/Pins, Spindle Setup allows you to choose a pin for the relay and
          > > > the Step Direction for Motor control. Is there a flow chart for
          > dummies?
          > > > Using SS and a C23.
          > > >
          > > > Regards
          > > >
          > > > Noel

        • Noel Anthony
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
            For me the MACH setup. From what I gather the 0-10 is created somehow by
            step/direction with the Spindle Motor Output. i.e assign two pins there.
            What pins do you choose and where do you take them. Have a separate power
            supply for 0-10 output.

            Any clues appreciated

            Kind Regards

            Noel Anthony

            Director

            wild gravity

            www.wildgravity.com.au <http://www.wildgravity.com.au/>

            wildgrav wrote:

            > The CNC4PC C23 Board which I have has a 0-10 out. assigned to pin 14.
            > I cannot figure how step/dir (2 Pins) relates to that??
            >
            > --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
            > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>, "gcode fi (hanermo)"
            > <yahoog@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > You need an analog out board, like the c6 from cnc4pc.
            > > It takes the step/dir and converts to 0-10v.
            > > I have some, they work fine.
            > >
            > > wildgrav wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Hi All
            > > >
            > > > Could someone please explain how you get 0-10 using step/dir in
            > > > Ports/Pins. Motor Outputs / Spindle. Where do the two pins go after
            > > > that. The VFD has 0-10 input and a common so how does step/Dir fit
            > with
            > > > that.
            > > >
            > > > Ports/Pins, Spindle Setup allows you to choose a pin for the relay and
            > > > the Step Direction for Motor control. Is there a flow chart for
            > dummies?
            > > > Using SS and a C23.
            > > >
            > > > Regards
            > > >
            > > > Noel

          • gcode fi (hanermo)
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
              Ports n pins/Spindle setup
              check - x - "use spindle motor output"
              check - x - "step/dir spindle"

              Ports n pins/Motor outputs
              At the bottom, for spindle, check the right step/ dir pins for your setup

              Noel Anthony wrote:

              > For me the MACH setup. From what I gather the 0-10 is created somehow by
              > step/direction with the Spindle Motor Output. i.e assign two pins there.
              > What pins do you choose and where do you take them. Have a separate power
              > supply for 0-10 output.
              >
              > Any clues appreciated
              >
              > Kind Regards
              >
              > Noel Anthony
              >
              > Director
              >
              > wild gravity
              >
              > www.wildgravity.com.au <http://www.wildgravity.com.au/
              > <http://www.wildgravity.com.au/>>
              >
              > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

            • Noel Anthony
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
                Kind Regards

                Noel Anthony

                Director

                wild gravity

                www.wildgravity.com.au <http://www.wildgravity.com.au/>

                At the bottom, for spindle, check the right step/ dir pins for your setup

                [Noel Anthony] This is what I don't understand. You assign two pins for Step
                and Direction. How does that end up being 0-10v and if so on what pin? Is
                0-10 supposed to come from this pin selection some how. I am sure it is
                simple but maybe I am too HA

                Noel Anthony wrote:

                > For me the MACH setup. From what I gather the 0-10 is created somehow by
                > step/direction with the Spindle Motor Output. i.e assign two pins there.
                > What pins do you choose and where do you take them. Have a separate power
                > supply for 0-10 output.
                >
                > Any clues appreciated
                >
                > Kind Regards
                >
                > Noel Anthony
                >
                > Director
                >
                > wild gravity
                >
                > www.wildgravity.com.au <http://www.wildgravity.com.au/
                > <http://www.wildgravity.com.au/>>
                >
                > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                > [mailto:mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com

              • gcode fi (hanermo)
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
                  (I dont have a C23- but the setup is the same as for a c6 board. Mine
                  are connected to a lathe spindle motor control, but the procedure is the
                  same for a mill. I get about +/- 1 rpm variation in steady state speed
                  ie non-cutting).

                  Ok .. to start with, lets ignore the direction.
                  Pin 14, on the C23 bob, is analog out.
                  So, in mach

                  Ports n pins/Motor outputs
                  At the bottom, for spindle, check the right step/ dir pins for your setup
                  the step pin is pin 14 (port 1 of the SS I think).
                  the dir - use any free pin with relay (set this up later).
                  Save and exit mach. Restart mach (just in case).

                  So, for the analog out, between connectors 1 and 2, on the C23, you will
                  get a voltage that is proportional to the commanded speed of your spindle.
                  This is next to the trim pot, that adjusts your voltage.

                  Connect a volt meter to pins 1,2 on the c23, meter on dc 12 V range
                  (without vfd).
                  set the speed to say 1000 - in mdi in mach with S1000 (assumes mm/sec)
                  (Voltage should be zero - spindle is still off).

                  Put on the spindle, from the screen.
                  The voltage between these pins should now be near 10 v.
                  Put your spindle speed, in mach, to your max real speed.
                  Assume max spindle speed is 3400 (Bp M-head ;) for example.
                  S3400
                  Now adjust the trim voltage on the C23, the R37, so that its output is
                  your vfd max, 10 V.

                  Now connect the pins 1,2 to your vfd.
                  Mach can now control the speed of your vfd -> spindle !

                  Then put a relay, or use the relay on the C23, to the dir pin on your vfd.
                  If using C23 mechanical relay - use pin 16.

                  Ports n pins/Motor outputs
                  At the bottom, for spindle, check the right step/ dir pins for your setup.
                  Step is already set up.
                  the dir pin is now pin 16 (port 1 of the SS I think).
                  Now, you should be able to change the direction of the spindle, cw/ccw,
                  from the screen or with mdi.

                  Hope this helps.
                  cnc4pc docs;
                  http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C23R2WG.pdf
                  http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/KBIC_WD.png

                  Noel Anthony wrote:

                  > Kind Regards
                  >
                  > Noel Anthony
                  >
                  > Director
                  >
                  > wild gravity
                  >
                  > www.wildgravity.com.au <http://www.wildgravity.com.au/
                  > <http://www.wildgravity.com.au/>>
                  >
                  > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

                • Noel Anthony
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
                    Hanermo You ROCK. Have to go away for 4 days but will be straight onto it
                    ASAP.

                    Thankyou thankyou

                    Noel Anthony wrote:

                    > Kind Regards
                    >
                    > Noel Anthony
                    >
                    > Director
                    >
                    > wild gravity
                    >
                    > www.wildgravity.com.au <http://www.wildgravity.com.au/
                    > <http://www.wildgravity.com.au/>>
                    >
                    > From: mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > [mailto:mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com

                  • gcode fi (hanermo)
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
                      Thats all right.
                      We all help each other out here- and everyone has something to learn.
                      Hope it works out for you ... it should.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1, 2009
                        Mate I couldn't help it. Been down there and all the voltage measures
                        correct and the relay is a snappin. Time to pack and will throw wire at it
                        when I get back. Never saw it written anywhere that the STEP did the voltage
                        and DIR did the Relay.

                        Long Apprenticeship

                        Thankyou again