Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Mach Feed studdering on single Axis

  • art2
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi:

      You dont mention what axis was what when stuttering, can I assume that its independent and the same axis still stutters?

      You say it wont move unless in sherline mode, thats a good clue.

      Building a stretcher would not be good. The problem is that in sherline mode the pulses are about 40us wide, thats VERY wide, and means a limitation of 12.5Khz maximum speed though when 25Khz is selected. Selecting higher speeds woudl make the pulse narrower, and yours is too narrow already, and stretching it will make your top speed very limited.

      Kcam puts out a very wide pulse I think, but what speeds are you getting with it, if your only doing 5Khz or so it may explain the difference in operation.

      >>The current controller consists of a opto-isolator then a ttl 74148
      then discrete Power transistor ( 2n3055 style) per uni polar coil.

      Thats not a driver, its a passenger.. :) , and I suspect explains the trouble. You likely have a resistor also on the path through the coil, this type of RC driver is known to be very bad in most cases, and its opto's may be very slow as thats a very old design.
      Personally, Id recommend a real set of drivers, or perhaps a G540 which has 4 drivers in it. At any rate Id definitely turf those drivers if you ever want any real performance.. Just my 2 cents though.. ( Been there, done that.. bought the TShirt years ago, those drivers will fight you to the death and never deliver the performance of the very reasonably priced chopper drivers you get today..)

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
        Yes the same X axis is the only one that stuuders.
        So it looks like a Controller upgrade.
        The current motors are Nema 23 rated at 100 Hold In/On at 1.65 vdc at
        4.7 amps.
        My intent is to cut mostly plastics but aluminum as well is in the
        future.

        Calling upon your "experience" -

        can i use the Warp9 Smooth stepper to act as the parallel port drive
        to the existing controller/Steppers ?

        or should i look for a new controller and motors?
        if so - any suggestions ?

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
          Hi:

          Your steppers are fine, but the drivers are junk. Id replace just those at least for now, the SS would make it worse I think as its pulses are shorter than Mach3's.. If you want to cut aluminum in the end, definitely upgrade those drivers..

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
            Thanks for the confirmation and what not to do :-)
            ;
            Can You or anyone on the list suggest a possible controller to
            replace my JUNK ?

            thanks in advance

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                Hi:

                Look to www.geckdrives.com , their G540 woudl probably be ideal for those motors.

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                  Thanks ,,, you have been a great help

                  I looked at the G540 but the current is limited, i found something in
                  ebay ,, Item number: 190277031293 - if you have time could you take
                  a look and see if it might be a good economy fit ?
                  again thanks for all your assistance

                • Henrik Olsson
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                    Hi,
                    I wouldn't go for that board if I where you. It is the same type of unipolar
                    L/R drive that you have now. In other words, to get any kind of performance
                    you'd need big power-wasting resistors between the drive and the motors.

                    I'd definitely concider the Geckodrive G540, wire your motors in series and
                    make sure to isolate the center tap of the windings. Set the current to 2.3A
                    and use 36V powersupply. You'll be amazed what a difference it'll make.

                    /Henrik.

                    I looked at the G540 but the current is limited, i found something in
                    ebay ,, Item number: 190277031293 - if you have time could you take
                    a look and see if it might be a good economy fit ?
                    again thanks for all your assistance

                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

                    > Hi:
                    >
                    > Look to www.geckdrives.com , their G540 woudl probably be ideal
                    for those motors.

                  • wah_ak
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                      Thanks for the info
                      So i can run the unipolar steppers as bipolar ?
                      ( well of course doing all the proper electrical precautions )

                      this opens up a whole new thought process for me

                      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik-
                      olsson@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > I wouldn't go for that board if I where you. It is the same type of
                      unipolar
                      > L/R drive that you have now. In other words, to get any kind of
                      performance
                      > you'd need big power-wasting resistors between the drive and the
                      motors.

                      > I'd definitely concider the Geckodrive G540, wire your motors in
                      series and
                      > make sure to isolate the center tap of the windings. Set the
                      current to 2.3A
                      > and use 36V powersupply. You'll be amazed what a difference it'll
                      make.

                      > /Henrik.

                    • art2
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                        Hi :

                        Yes, you can. By the way, I dont see where a G540 is current limited in your case, I thought the current limit was about 7-8amps..( without looking it up. :) ). A Gecko Stepper driver can be set to most any current level. But your spec of

                        In/On at 1.65 vdc at
                        4.7 amps.

                        would seem to be perfect for 36 volts at 4.7 amps, that wouldnt even begin to stress a gecko Stepper driver.

                        olsson@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        > I wouldn't go for that board if I where you. It is the same type of
                        unipolar
                        > L/R drive that you have now. In other words, to get any kind of
                        performance
                        > you'd need big power-wasting resistors between the drive and the
                        motors.

                        > I'd definitely concider the Geckodrive G540, wire your motors in
                        series and
                        > make sure to isolate the center tap of the windings. Set the
                        current to 2.3A
                        > and use 36V powersupply. You'll be amazed what a difference it'll
                        make.

                        > /Henrik.

                      • gcode fi (hanermo)
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                          Art - the 540 uses the new mini-gecko - and it´s limited to 3.5A max.

                          The 20x series are the 7A drives....

                          art2 wrote:

                          > Hi :
                          >
                          > Yes, you can. By the way, I dont see where a G540 is current limited
                          > in your case, I thought the current limit was about 7-8amps..( without
                          > looking it up. :) ). A Gecko Stepper driver can be set to most any
                          > current level. But your spec of
                          >
                          > In/On at 1.65 vdc at
                          > 4.7 amps.
                          >
                          > would seem to be perfect for 36 volts at 4.7 amps, that wouldnt even
                          > begin to stress a gecko Stepper driver.

                          > -

                        • art2
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                            Hi:

                            Thx, hadnt investigated enough to know that. Course even at 3.5Amps he'd get a huge boost in performance. :)
                            G201's maybe?

                            art2 wrote:

                            > Hi :
                            >
                            > Yes, you can. By the way, I dont see where a G540 is current limited
                            > in your case, I thought the current limit was about 7-8amps..( without
                            > looking it up. :) ). A Gecko Stepper driver can be set to most any
                            > current level. But your spec of
                            >
                            > In/On at 1.65 vdc at
                            > 4.7 amps.
                            >
                            > would seem to be perfect for 36 volts at 4.7 amps, that wouldnt even
                            > begin to stress a gecko Stepper driver.

                            > -

                          • Mark Vaughan
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                              Depending on where you are for shipping costs, you could also look at Chines
                              Leadshine drives.

                              They are cheap, reliable and very good drives, in the UK we find them much
                              cheaper than Gecko mainly due to shipping costs.

                              Main dealer here being Motion control products.

                              Regs Mark

                              Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D., B.Eng. M0VAU

                              Managing Director

                              Vaughan Industries Ltd., reg in UK no 2561068

                              Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

                              Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH UK.

                              Phone/Fax 44 (0) 1872 561288

                              RSGB DRM111 (Cornwall)

                              _____

                              --- In mach1mach2cnc@ <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
                              olsson@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              > I wouldn't go for that board if I where you. It is the same type of
                              unipolar
                              > L/R drive that you have now. In other words, to get any kind of
                              performance
                              > you'd need big power-wasting resistors between the drive and the
                              motors.

                              > I'd definitely concider the Geckodrive G540, wire your motors in
                              series and
                              > make sure to isolate the center tap of the windings. Set the
                              current to 2.3A
                              > and use 36V powersupply. You'll be amazed what a difference it'll
                              make.

                              > /Henrik.

                            • wah_ak
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                                Thanks "ALL" for the responses
                                I am located in Miami FLorida USA area.
                                Tried the GeckoDrive folks - looks like they took the day off
                                so unless someone can suggest a better solution between now and
                                Monday I will use Art's suggestion of the G540 and converting my
                                UniPolar Steppers to Bi Polar. The only thing missing hten would be
                                choosing a "low cost" power supply to replace my existing 12 vdc.
                                Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
                                P.S. I am very open to used controller / PS options incase someone
                                has surplus.
                                --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

                                > Hi:
                                >
                                > Thx, hadnt investigated enough to know that. Course even at
                                3.5Amps he'd get a huge boost in performance. :)
                                > G201's maybe?

                                Axis

                                > Art - the 540 uses the new mini-gecko - and it´s limited to 3.5A
                                max.

                                > The 20x series are the 7A drives....
                                >
                                > art2 wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi :
                                > >
                                > > Yes, you can. By the way, I dont see where a G540 is current
                                limited
                                > > in your case, I thought the current limit was about 7-8amps..(
                                without
                                > > looking it up. :) ). A Gecko Stepper driver can be set to most
                                any
                                > > current level. But your spec of
                                > >
                                > > In/On at 1.65 vdc at
                                > > 4.7 amps.
                                > >
                                > > would seem to be perfect for 36 volts at 4.7 amps, that wouldnt
                                even
                                > > begin to stress a gecko Stepper driver.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks,
                                > > Art
                                > >
                                > > -

                              • art2
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                                  Hi:

                                  Id try just adding a second 12 volt supply, its easy, cheap and gives you 24 volts in the end.. plenty enough if youve been using an RC controller with 12 volts, 24Volts with a gecko will amaze you.. even if it isnt quite enough current..

                                  Tried the GeckoDrive folks - looks like they took the day off
                                  so unless someone can suggest a better solution between now and
                                  Monday I will use Art's suggestion of the G540 and converting my
                                  UniPolar Steppers to Bi Polar. The only thing missing hten would be
                                  choosing a "low cost" power supply to replace my existing 12 vdc.
                                  Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
                                  P.S. I am very open to used controller / PS options incase someone
                                  has surplus.
                                  --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, art2 <fenerty@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi:
                                  >
                                  > Thx, hadnt investigated enough to know that. Course even at
                                  3.5Amps he'd get a huge boost in performance. :)
                                  > G201's maybe?

                                • Mark Vaughan
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 3, 2009
                                    Before you add another supply, check that the 0V side of the supply isn’t
                                    internally connected to earth, otherwise when hooking in the second supply
                                    you will short the first.