Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Stylus saver function

  • Landrum Haddix
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi,
      I haven't tested this yet.

      Can I use ISActive( PROBING ) to see if G31 is in progress?
      I assume this reads the output signal for index probe enable.
      Will this work even if the output isn't directed to an actual pin?

      Landrum Haddix
      lhaddix@...
      http://lhaddix.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
        That will not work :( There is no way to see if there is a problem move
        happening from VB..

        Landrum Haddix wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I haven't tested this yet.
        >
        > Can I use ISActive( PROBING ) to see if G31 is in progress?
        > I assume this reads the output signal for index probe enable.
        > Will this work even if the output isn't directed to an actual pin?
        >

        > Landrum Haddix
        > lhaddix@...
        > http://lhaddix.net

      • Terry Parker
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
          IF you have such a program active how are you going to back off of a
          G31 trip?? Catch 22 (;-) WHen the g31 is active it moves into a trip
          and stops. IT does not back off of the trip, leaving the led on. Your
          program will detect the led on and not allow you to back off(;-)

          Just a thought, (;-) TP

          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Landrum Haddix <lhaddix@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I just bent a probe stylus by dragging it over a part with a goto
          zero
          > (Bad toad)
          >
          > I've got an idea for either a trigger macro or macro pump function
          > that might help prevent this.
          >
          > That woulde to stop any mtion and display an error message if
          > the probe ever shows contact when a G31 is not in progress.
          >
          > Is there a system var that shows the current G code being executed
          > that I can check to see if the current motion is from G31?
          >
          > If I hang a trigger macro on the probe and I'm in G31 will the
          macro ruun
          > before or after G31 stores the contact position?
          > I'm afraid the trigger macro might delay the G31 position sample.
          >
          > My idea is something like on a trigger from the digitize input check
          > for G31 in progress and exit if it is. Else check is_moving and do a
          > feed hold then error message if so.
          >
          > What is the best wat to ask for a stop just as a limit switch would
          cause?

          > Does anyone see anything obviously wrong with doing this?
          > I can't think of an instance when you would want to do a non-G31
          move
          > resulting in probe contact.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Landrum

        • Landrum Haddix
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
            Terry, Brian,
            Thanks, I missed the need to back away.. I suppose this means
            stay away from Tucher Bajuvator beer when trying to customize mach.

            Sorry to be a pain.

            I'll just get a box of M2x20mm socket head machine screws to use as
            'probe styli' until I stop screwing up.

            I normally always set Z=0 to the part top. This time I had it set for the
            table. I will add that to my list of things that are a bad idea.

            Cheers,
            Landrum
          • Terry Parker
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
              HIYA Landrum, Better to bend the stylus than break the probe. I have
              a small BOX of bent styli (;-) When playing I just screw in a wooden
              toothpick. Cheaper than a new tip.