Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Any users of Vitalsystems DSPMC

  • Rufi
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 31, 2008
      hi Mark,

      I am confident most of the people who have bought DSPMC are using it in production environment.  You can see video on the web page of a laser cutting machine that is in Finland.

      normally I only get contact from the customers when they are having any problem during installation.  Once the problem is resolved, 99% time I never hear again from them.  After installation is complete to their satisfaction, I rarely get an email that the system is working fine.

      I do have couple of videos from Italy that I can add to the web page. I think I should start listing customer feedback on the web page so that the newcomers can easily makeup their mind.

      The dspmc system has now progressed well since the humble beginning about 2 years ago.  we have added lot of features and also updated the information in the user guide to make the installation go as smooth as possible.  With the PID response Graphing tool, that should make PID tuning more accurate.  There are more software tools and features in the works that will help improve retrofit experience.

      this is a good opportunity to mention some very smart customer names that have been a great help to me. Arto Sepänmaa (Finland), Michael Terrinni (totallyrc), Michael Emery (usfwalden), Don Bozarth (Texas), Ricardo Eira (Italy), and Gene (www.jemachine.com), to name a few.  I admire their patience.  With their help we were able to complete some very difficult task including new features, bug fixes and user guide improvements.

      of course, Art and Brian have provided excellent support.

      regards,
      Rufi

      www.vitalsystem.com/dspmc

      PS. I sent a unit to your buddy Wayne, long time back; but I don't know what he did with the system.

      From: "usfwalden@aim. <mailto:usfwalden%40aim.com> com" <usfwalden@aim.
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 1, 2009
        Thanks Rufi

        I well appreciate how difficult it is to get feedback when a product works.

        I run a product range in another field world wide, all our distributors are
        supposed to write a completion report and return to us, so we know where it
        is fitted and how successful, but that doesn’t work. Instead we get an
        enquirey often for a process we know nothing about and have dubious worries
        about our technology performance, we get an order, send the goods and that’s
        the last we here about it. One hope that means it works and hasn’t been
        thrown in the bin, indeed we encourage customers to come back to us if it
        doesn’t work so we can suggest improvements., the lack of this again should
        mean it works, but without feedback, you do tend to start to doubt your own
        product.

        I am really glad to hear it’s gone well and you have a happy line of
        customers, well done, hopefully now that we have some mention here that line
        will grow for you.

        Makes we want to look for another machine I can use a DSPMC on, perhaps I’ll
        upgrade the mill and junk the G100, not sure where I’d put another machine.

        _____

        From: mach1mach2cnc@ <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com [mailto:mach1mach2cnc@

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 1, 2009
          Rufi,

          I too have been watching with Interest.

          Is it possible to run your plugin along side other plugins?

          I want to use Peter Homanns Modio along side your DSPMC.

          Is this possible?

          Lee

          _____

          From: mach1mach2cnc@ <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 1, 2009
            Rufi,

            Another question.

            I looked over your user manual and so far I’m impressed.

            You mention index homing.

            How is this implemented?

            I see some HTML code that is in the XML file, but no mention of how it gets
            there??

            Once the plugin is installed are there different choices inside of mach to
            enable this and all it’s options??

            Lee.

            _____

            From: mach1mach2cnc@ <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 1, 2009
              hi Lee,

              I cheked the xml file.  It is ok.

              as mentioned in the manual, there are two methods for homing: index-only and home sensor.  the home senor method can use optional index pulse.  Index pulse is monitored by the hardware and clears the encoder counter when detected during homing.  pls see detail in the manual.

              according to Brian, modbus can work togather with motion plugin like dspmc.

              thanks
              Rufi

              www.vitalsystem.com/dspmc

              From: mach1mach2cnc@ <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 1, 2009
                Hello Rufi,

                I have looked over the manual but it doesn’t explain how to set up homing.

                Can you show me a screen shot of where you set this up to work in mach?

                Lee

                _____

                From: mach1mach2cnc@ <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 1, 2009
                  see section 7.8, page 34 for mach homing configuration.  then in appendix A see xml setting required for homing.

                  <Homing>
                           <Type> HomeSensor </Type>              Options: HomeSensor, IndexPulseOnly
                           <UseIndexPulse>1</UseIndexPulse>     Options: 1 = use index pulse, 0 = donot use index pulse -->
                  </Homing>

                  this is for each axis.  you can have a mix of settings for your machine, eg x can use home sensor, y can use home sensor+index, z can use index only, etc.

                  if you are still not clear, pls contact off list.

                  From: mach1mach2cnc@ <mailto:mach1mach2cnc%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 2, 2009
                    --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Lee K. White" <lee@...> wrote:

                    > Rufi,

                    > Another question.

                    > I looked over your user manual and so far I'm impressed.

                    > You mention index homing.

                    > How is this implemented?

                    > I see some HTML code that is in the XML file, but no mention of how it
                    gets
                    > there??

                    > Once the plugin is installed are there different choices inside of
                    mach to
                    > enable this and all it's options??

                    > Lee.

                    Snip

                    Hi Lee, I am currently using the joystick plugin along with the dspmc
                    plugin and they both work well together. Along with the video plugin.

                    I will be switching to MPG's when time allows, but the gamepad
                    (Logitech) is working well for me and allows for edge finding and such.
                    I may even keep the gamepad, but I will have to see what works better
                    for me.

                    I haven't set up index pulse homing yet, but I know from experience that
                    you might have to go in and edit the xml file manually to get some
                    things done.

                    No real big deal, I do it in microsoft office, but there are different
                    programs that will work.

                    I just recieved my breakout board for my lathe conversion and I am in
                    the middle of digging out a control box from the pile, to house all the
                    stuff in. I will be doing a build log as soon as the project gets under
                    way.

                    Rufi is doing the threading coding as we speak and I hope to be able to
                    try it out in a week or 2, since I have everything I need to convert the
                    lathe on hand.

                    Time to go back outside and get some more work done.

                    Mike.

                    Please feel free to ask more questions as I enjoy helping people with
                    the same interests.

                  • Lee K. White
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 2, 2009
                      Hello Snip,

                      From what Rufi has told me the homing is directly related to the homing
                      sequence within Mach.

                      "
                      Lee,

                      in the mach config screen for Homing/Limits, there is the Homing Offset.
                      the system use that as the distance past the index pulse. eg if offset is
                      set to 0.5; after it finds the index pulse, it will move the axis to 0.5
                      position. your DRO will show 0.5 after homing is complete.

                      thanks
                      Rufi"

                      How I need it work is as follows.

                      Do a homing sequence within Mach, however upon reversing off the switch, i
                      need mach not to know when the switch is closed again and DSPMC to find the
                      index, then keep moving a set amount then stop, and set the mach DROs to
                      Zero.

                      Maybe Rufi can help us here.

                      It is imperative to me to have the DROs Zero'd and to know exactly that the
                      axis is a set distance from an Index pulse.

                      Thanks, Lee

                      Lee K. White
                      Premier Pattern Equipment Ltd
                      9725 - 60 Ave
                      Edmonton, AB T6E 0C4
                      780-430-1549
                      lee@...

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 2, 2009
                        Lee,

                        we can zero out the DRO at the end of the move, but there is a possibility of error.

                        homing is supposed to find a very precise zero point, that should not depend upon the PID tunning of the axis.  When we use a sensor or index pulse, we are zeroing the position at exact hardware zero point.

                        but your method will require the axis to move a set distance away from the hardware zero point.  the axis will stop after the move, but the precision of the stop will depend upon how good the axis is tunned.  if you set the distance to 0.5 and the axis actually stops at 0.49, and then we set the DROs to zero, your home position is now faulty.

                        If you are ok with that, we can add a option setting in xml to allow that.

                        thanks
                        Rufi

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 3, 2009
                          --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Rufi <rufi@...> wrote:

                          > Lee,
                          >
                          > we can zero out the DRO at the end of the move, but there is a
                          possibility of error.

                          > homing is supposed to find a very precise zero point, that should
                          not depend upon the PID tunning of the axis.  When we use a sensor or
                          index pulse, we are zeroing the position at exact hardware zero point.

                          > but your method will require the axis to move a set distance away
                          from the hardware zero point.  the axis will stop after the move, but
                          the precision of the stop will depend upon how good the axis is
                          tunned.  if you set the distance to 0.5 and the axis actually stops
                          at 0.49, and then we set the DROs to zero, your home position is now
                          faulty.

                          > If you are ok with that, we can add a option setting in xml to
                          allow that.

                          > thanks
                          > Rufi

                          Hi again Lee,
                          I plan on using the index pulse option to just stop on the proper
                          pulse and then have it set the dro's to zero.

                          Unless you have a real need for it to come off the index pulse
                          position a specific distance, I see no real need to do so. The index
                          pulse is not like a mechanical limit or home switch where you have to
                          see the switch change state, you can just see the index pulse and
                          stop. The index pulse IIRC is about one encoder count, in my case,
                          1/2 of .0001". even if the index pulse homing in reality works out
                          to .001", its repeatability and accuracy would be so much better than
                          a mechanical switch as to not be funny.

                          You can dial in the final position of where the index pulse position
                          winds up by either moving the encoder in relation to the motor, or
                          the whole motor in relation to the machine and for gross positional
                          change you can move the motor armurautre in relation to the axis by
                          jumping a tooth (or as many as are needed) on the timing belt/
                          gearing.

                          On my bport, the pulleys can also be located any where on the shaft
                          because they clamp onto the motor shaft without the use of a set
                          screw and the renco encoders that I have allow for about a 5 degree
                          rotation on their mounting screws.
                          If none of these options works for you, then I could see the need to
                          come off the index pulse position.

                          Mike