Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Electrical Problem.

  • Simon Daykin
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008
      Dave, Hood,

      I had considered a PC power supply but don't have any spare and they are a
      bit of an odd size to fit in the Mill.
      I have found a couple of nice looking little industrial enclosed types on
      eBay for not too much.

      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130271670718

      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130271670725

      Thanks
      Simon

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008
        You'd be better off using a lower input voltage.

        But you could try adding a power resistor before your regulator, it will
        drop some of the voltage and is OK to run much hotter than the regulator
        which must be on separate heatsinks.

        It's a codge really but may just give you enough thermal space.

        As to temperature, if you can hold your finger on the regulator without
        burning it will have a good live, if not then early failure is probable.

        Regs Mark

        Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D., B.Eng. M0VAU

        Managing Director

        Vaughan Industries Ltd., reg in UK no 2561068

        Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

        Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH UK.

        Phone/Fax 44 (0) 1872 561288

        RSGB DRM111 (Cornwall)

        _____

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008
          Mark,

          > You'd be better off using a lower input voltage.

          In my previous incarnation, I tried running the 5v regulator from the 12v
          regulator so that it only has 12v going into it and the 5v was fine. The 12v
          regulator got too hot then!

          > But you could try adding a power resistor before your regulator, it will
          > drop some of the voltage and is OK to run much hotter than the regulator
          > which must be on separate heatsinks.
          >
          > It's a codge really but may just give you enough thermal space.

          I've ordered a couple of little industrial type power supplies, I don't
          really want a work around as I will be waiting for it to fail.

          > As to temperature, if you can hold your finger on the regulator without
          > burning it will have a good live, if not then early failure is probable.

          No. You can't put your finger on either the 12v or the 5v heatsink edges.
          When they are running, if you wet your finger and dab it on the top of the
          heatsink it will sizzle and turn the spit to steam.

          Thanks
          Simon
        • januseng
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008
            Simon,

            Those look pretty good for the price. I prefer to build my own
            standard transformer, rectifier, capacitor units and add a regulator
            if the voltage has to be right. In the past I have had problems with
            switched mode power supplies, your mileage may vary. A good test to
            find electrical noise is a small transistor radio tuned off station,
            try it near a plasic cased VFD (their design resembles switched mode
            power supplies with a variable frequency). The interference may
            surprise you! Uncased stepper drivers produce the same. Do not route
            step/direction leads nearby, or, if you have to, encase in an earthed
            copper braid. The danger is that unprotected cables may pick up what
            you hear on the radio and cause a whoopsie that gets blamed on Mach
            or you Gcode.

            Let us know how these units work for you.

            Ian

            --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Daykin" <simon@...>
            wrote:

            > Dave, Hood,
            >
            > I had considered a PC power supply but don't have any spare and
            they are a
            > bit of an odd size to fit in the Mill.
            > I have found a couple of nice looking little industrial enclosed
            types on
            > eBay for not too much.
            >
            > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
            ViewItem&rd=1&item=130271670718

            > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
            ViewItem&rd=1&item=130271670725

            > Thanks
            > Simon

          • Simon Daykin
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008
              Ian,

              My workshop radio is tuned to Capital Radio which is a really weak signal
              where we live.
              Even my car engine management interferes with it.

              My 160TLC kills the radio completely and that is with Geckos and normal
              power supplies.
              The 190VMC is actually quite good at the moment, you can still hear the
              radio when the cabinet is closed.
              The little power supplies "should" be shielded from EMI which is why I went
              for them but grounding the common will affect it. I'll see how I get on.

            • Bob Campbell
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008
                Simon ,

                Automation Direct should have them www.automationdirect.com

                Bob Campbell
                www.campbelldesigns.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008
                  I seem to be going round in ever increasing circles with this problem...

                  I have wired in the new 12v and 5v power supplies and connected them star
                  wired to the ground point.

                  Everything seems to work fine now except when I connect up the 24v to the
                  proximity sensors.
                  As soon as I connect them it blows the 10A fuse on the 24v supply!
                  The -ve side of the 24v supply is connected to the same ground point as the
                  other 2 supplies.

                  Any ideas?
                  Thanks
                  Simon
                • Lee K. White
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008
                    Simon,

                    It sounds as though you are shorting the supply to ground through the
                    switches.

                    The switch should be connecting the power through a relay coil, thus
                    energizing the coil or not.

                    HTH.

                    Thanks, Lee

                    Lee K. White

                    Premier Pattern Equipment Ltd

                    9725 - 60 Ave

                    Edmonton, AB T6E 0C4

                    780-430-1549

                    lee@...

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008
                      Simon,

                      What type of proximity sensor needs a 10A fuse? Dov you use the 24V
                      to feed anything else?

                      wrote:

                      > I seem to be going round in ever increasing circles with this
                      problem...

                      > I have wired in the new 12v and 5v power supplies and connected
                      them star
                      > wired to the ground point.
                      >
                      > Everything seems to work fine now except when I connect up the 24v
                      to the
                      > proximity sensors.
                      > As soon as I connect them it blows the 10A fuse on the 24v supply!
                      > The -ve side of the 24v supply is connected to the same ground
                      point as the
                      > other 2 supplies.
                      >
                      > Any ideas?
                      > Thanks
                      > Simon

                    • Simon Daykin

                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008
                          Your 24V power supply may have it's positive side connected to the mains
                          earth.

                          I use quite a few Chinese made switch mode supplies, most of them if they
                          are IEC socket powered have the 0V side of the output connected to the mains
                          earth.

                          However one brand, and only on their 24V model has the +ve side connected to
                          earth more like it was meant to be a -ve 24V supply.

                          Power up the 24V supply with it's output disconnected and measure for any
                          output voltage with respect to ground.

                          lee@premierpattern. <mailto:lee%40premierpattern.com> com

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 3, 2008
                            Bob,

                            Thanks for the link... I'll have a look.

                            Simon

                            >> I think one of the sensors is broken. I must have damaged it somehow.
                            >> I have tested them offline and the Z axis sensor is the one causing the
                            >> problem.
                            >>
                            >> It is an IFM IE5082 (IEB3001-ANOG)
                            >>
                            >> I need to find somewhere that sells them or an equivalent. M8 NPN
                            >> Normally
                            >> Open Proximity Sensor.
                            >>
                            >> Thanks
                            >> Simon

                          • Simon Daykin
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 3, 2008
                              Mark,

                              Thanks, I'll have a check.

                              Simon

                              > Your 24V power supply may have it's positive side connected to the mains
                              > earth.
                              >

                              > I use quite a few Chinese made switch mode supplies, most of them if they
                              > are IEC socket powered have the 0V side of the output connected to the
                              > mains
                              > earth.
                              >
                              > However one brand, and only on their 24V model has the +ve side connected
                              > earth more like it was meant to be a -ve 24V supply.
                              >
                              > Power up the 24V supply with it's output disconnected and measure for any
                              > output voltage with respect to ground.
                              >

                              > Regs Mark
                              >

                              > Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D., B.Eng. M0VAU
                              >
                              > Managing Director
                              >
                              > Vaughan Industries Ltd., reg in UK no 2561068
                              >
                              > Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351
                              >
                              > Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH UK.
                              >
                              > Phone/Fax 44 (0) 1872 561288
                              >
                              > RSGB DRM111 (Cornwall)
                              >
                              > _____

                            • januseng
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 3, 2008
                                Simon,

                                Usually best to have the power supply for stepper drivers dedicated
                                to only them. It is driving a fast switching inductive load with high
                                amperage draw, hence a very noisy line voltage, depending on the
                                quality of the source. RS should have your switches but probably
                                expensive.

                                wrote:

                                > Mark,
                                >
                                > Thanks, I'll have a check.
                                >
                                > Simon

                              • Simon Daykin
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 3, 2008
                                  Thanks everybody, I have found an alternative switch at Farnell. Not cheap
                                  but at least it is protected against reverse voltage and short circuits etc
                                  unlike the old one I have now! And as an added bonus it's switching position
                                  consistency is supposed to be better!

                                  Has anybody got any experience or comments on the little 12v - 12v DC-DC
                                  converters? I was wondering about using one of those for the isolated input
                                  to the step-analog converter board as it needs to be isolated from the other
                                  supplies.
                                  I am currently running it off a sepparate transformer tap on the 24v
                                  transformer. While it works at the moment, I was wondering if I should
                                  replace it with a feed from the new sepparate 12v supple and isolate it
                                  through one of those little DC-DC converters?

                                  Thanks
                                  Simon
                                • Simon Daykin
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 7, 2008
                                    Ian,

                                    Just a quick update...
                                    The 2 power supplies seem to be working just fine in my mill. There doesn't
                                    appear to be any more noise than there was before I installed them, I guess
                                    only time will tell.

                                    Thanks
                                    Simon