OT, Pac-Sci drive help??

  • poppa_bear1000
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2008
      I am working on an older machine that has a PacSci SC905 with a OC930
      serial Com card. I am using the 930 software to communitcate with it,
      BUT, (yes I made sure of the com port), it fails to communicate. I am
      using a USB to Serial Cable converter since my laptop doesnt have real
      Serial.

      do you think it is the USB-Serial cable causing the no com err??
      If so, is there a brand of USB-Serial you would recommend.
      (also per the docs, I made my serial cable 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 only just like
      it says in the docs, the cable pings out as good connections).

      Scott
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2008
        Hi Scott,

        I've had the best luck with USB to Serial adapters that use the FTDI
        chipset. The one I have seems to work well with most older software,
        but you may have to do some tricks to get it mapped as Com1 or Com2 with
        your PC. I have some notes on how to do that if you run into a problem
        with that.

        USBGear.com sells a lot of them also I have heard that the USB to serial
        adapter that Radio Shack sells works well, but I have never used it.

        Dave
        Cole Controls Inc.

        poppa_bear1000 wrote:

        > I am working on an older machine that has a PacSci SC905 with a OC930
        > serial Com card. I am using the 930 software to communitcate with it,
        > BUT, (yes I made sure of the com port), it fails to communicate. I am
        > using a USB to Serial Cable converter since my laptop doesnt have real
        > Serial.
        >
        > do you think it is the USB-Serial cable causing the no com err??
        > If so, is there a brand of USB-Serial you would recommend.
        > (also per the docs, I made my serial cable 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 only just like
        > it says in the docs, the cable pings out as good connections).
        >
        > Scott

      • poppa_bear1000
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
          Hey Dave,

          I have a radio shack, Gold 1200, and a Belkin USB-Serial adapter,
          none of them worked.

          So, I grabbed an OLD laptop from one of the ET guys here and Poof the
          real port worked, no-worries.

          I would like a good lead on a FTDI brand if your saying that thier over
          head is not a problem..........

          I had no problems mapping the USB adaptor to Com 1, or Com 2. It just
          seams that it has something to do with the overhead in the converters
          that I have themselves.

          got the Darn thing fixed yesterday evening, finally, but thanks for the
          feed back any way!!!

          Scott
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
            I have two of these and I know of a couple of other guys who have the
            same thing and it just works.

            This one has two com ports on it and I have used both at the same time,
            works fine. The Automation Direct software works with it, as well as
            just about everything else I can think of. I can even use a RS232 to
            current loop adapter with it and talk to a Siemens S5 controller with
            it. The S5 serial ports are known as being very picky regarding timing.

            >>http://usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=XC-232-C&cats=199&catid=626%2C106%2C199%2C465

            I think there is a single port FTDI version on the website also. The
            two port unit is not as clunky as it looks. It also has LEDs built into
            it so you can see the RS232 comm line levels flash when there is
            activity. It also has a standard USB socket in the back so if your
            cord gets cut in a panel door, etc ;-), just grab another USB cord, plug
            it in and go.

            The latest FTDI software driver can be downloaded from the web and it
            supports Vista as well.

            Dave
            Cole Controls Inc.