60647RE: [mach1mach2cnc] Crossover? - redux

  • James Connerton
    Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Dave /Andy,

      You guys are going to make me an Ethernet expert! Great advise, explanations and support, I was scared to fool with any of this just a day ago but you guys held my hand and encouraged me. So I was able to set a new higher number IP for the laptop, with the DHCP, Default Gateway, and DNS stuff, now I can throw on the crossover cable and hook up, or put the router cable on and get Internet for downloads, the Grex is happy, the laptop is happy, and I have a big smile on my face. Thanks for all your help, sincerely,
      Jim C.

      figNoggle <david@...> wrote:

      hi again james - maybe this analogy will help some (this may provide
      some background to andy's reply):

      here goes...

      -you live in a private, gated community called "192.168.1"

      -your home address (laptop) is "3"

      -your "dsl router" is the guy at the front gate to the community and has
      its own address of "254" (the gateway)

      -since you all live in your own respective houses, the g100 has its own
      unique address of, i'm guessing "2" (or any other number between the range
      of 1 and 255 but not 3 and 254 and probably not 1)

      -if you want your mail delivered and want to read the daily news, you
      have to contact your post office, which in this case is the dns server
      "254" (the guy at the gate also happens to moonlight as the postal worker
      but this is not always the case)

      -now, in your neighborhood, the guy at the gate, who happens to also be
      the postal worker, also runs the sales office that assigns you the
      address of your home (the dhcp server)

      -each subsequent neighbor who moves in certainly must at least check-in
      with the guy at the gate and the sales office to make sure he's not only a
      part of the neighborhood but assigned a unique house. if and only if he
      wants to check and read mail would he want to get the help of the postal
      worker (dns server)

      what you've been doing with the dsl router is to let it dictate these
      things. you can still be a part of the neighborhood and
      "crash" it, provided you know who's who and what's what - hence the
      statically assigned ip address.

      hope this helps (and wasn't creating more confusion)!

      david

      NEW! THK SHS-Series Linear Bearing and Guide Pricing Chart
      <http://www.fignoggle.com/thk-shs-pricing.htm>
      Sieg X3 and Super X3 Mill Information <http://www.superx3.com>