29121Re: Word U, W - clarifications

  • lcdpublishing
    Apr 1, 2005
      While I am trying to avoid these types of discussions, there are
      times when clarification is needed.

      First, saying there is a "standard" for CNC programming is true, but
      very missleading. It would be like saying there is a standard for
      computer operating systems. Apple people would say MAC-OS is the
      standard, Linux people would say that is the standard, and of course
      PC people would say that Windows is the standard. I guess
      the "Defacto" standard is MS Windows - they have the vast majority
      of the market.

      There are at least 5 standards for CNC programming that are backed
      by some U.S. gvmt. agency. Each control manufacturer sets their
      own "standards", usually companies entering the game late, follow
      the leaders in the industry. Fanuc at one point consisted of 80% of
      CNC controls sold in the world. I don't know what their sales
      volume is today, but it is probably still a good part of the CNC
      control market as a whole. You will often see new control's being
      promoted as "FANUC Compatible". Like Windows, FANUC is a sort of
      defacto standard - doesn't mean it is the best, just common.

      To say that using U and W as incremental for positioning commands on
      a lathe is outdated - is dead wrong. Using either G91 or U and W as
      the method is both right and wrong, and both standard and not
      standard. The choice between which is more popular may have to do
      with which part of the world you are located in.

      All Fanuc controls can be setup to use one of three different G-Code
      sets. This is a selection made via parameters and also controls
      wheather U & W define incremental or G90 & G91. The vast majority
      of CNC machines (Lathes) are setup for U and W as the incremental
      motion on lathes. This would be true of the machines tools in North
      America and Japan. As most of Korean Mfgs and now Chinese Mfgs
      followed what the Japanese did with control configuration, they too
      are using the U & W selection locally, and setting the machines this
      way for export to North America.

      The majority of machine tools (Lathes) that I have seen use G91 &
      G90 as incremental,(using FANUC controls) are the ones from Europe.
      In Europe, I would say that using G90 & G91 are probably the defacto
      standard, but here in North America, U & W are more standard.

      While my comments may seem biased towards FANUC, this also applies
      to the other major players in industrial controls such as Yasakwa
      (YASNAC), Mitsubishi - meldas, Mazak (yes, Mazak controls can be
      programmed with G-Codes), Okuma's OSP control, to name most of the
      major players.

      I am not saying that MACHx should be identical to FANUC or any other
      control, I am only clarifying the information presented about U & W
      and it's use on CNC lathes.

      As for machining center controls, G90 & G91 are the "Standard" for
      incremental and absolute selection.

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore <steve@p...>
      wrote:
      > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:48:48 -0000, you wrote:
      >

      > >--- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore
      <steve@p...> w
      > >> No not many - only a few, and incorrectly. It is obsolete to
      use
      > >that
      > >> way.
      > >>

      > >My brand new manufactured in 2005 Haas lathe uses U and W as
      > >incremental moves for X and Z. So to say it is obsolete is
      > >incorrect. And to say it is a few is also incorrect. My
      > >understanding is that Haas is one of the top sellers by unit of
      CNC
      > >turning centers. So more than a few and definitely modern usage
      of U
      > >and W as incremental. As a point of interest, they only do it
      that
      > >way on the lathe. On my mill of the same date it uses G90/G91 to
      > >switch incremental/absolute.
      >
      > What model Tim? L series ?
      >

      > Steve Blackmore
      > --
      >

      > This e-mail was scanned for viruses using BitDefender
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic