143171Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Need a little help

  • Dean Angevine, Fox Prints
    Feb 11, 2014
      I don't see why it wouldn't work, they are still supporting XP until April.
      1st be sure you have an actual Win XP installation disc, not an OEM
      recovery disc (i.e. Dell, HP, etc.) The OEM recovery discs are usually
      not actual installation discs, they are just an image (clone) of an
      installation & will generally only work on the exact same original
      equipment.
      If it is an installation disc you should be able to just put the dvd in
      the drive (assuming you have a dvd drive) & follow the on-screen
      instructions for a new installation. It will probably warn you that the
      currently installed version is newer that the one on the disc.
      If it were my machine I'd first reformat the HDD & then boot up to the
      installation disc so you are sure it is a clean install. You can set the
      BIOS to boot to the DVD drive & use the utilities on the installation
      disc to do the reformat.
      Then after you get it installed I would hook it up to the internet & do
      an update, then keep checking to see if there are more updates until it
      says you are up to date (it sometimes takes 2 or 3 rounds to get it
      fully up to date). Then activate it, although you may want to wait to
      activate until you have everything installed & working (just in case you
      have to start over).

      If you need or want Win 8, you could also setup the machine for dual (or
      multiple) booting. There are utilities available that you can use
      topartition your disc so it acts like multiple discs (I think you can do
      it right from in Win 8, but you may not have much control). After
      partitioning you can then install different operating systems on the
      different partitions and use a boot loader program that will allow you
      to select at startup which operating system you want to boot. I used to
      make linux/Windows dual boot computers to use EMC before I switched to
      Mach, & it worked quite well, I could use my windows based Cad/Cam &
      then boot to linux & run the program. You used to be able to load up
      multiple versions of Windows using Windows' own built in boot loader,
      but I don't know if you can still do that with Win8.

      Sorry to be vague, but it has been years since I've done one & so the
      specifics are fuzzy.

      On 2/10/2014 10:53 PM, wmaisey@... wrote:

      > Dean,
      >

      > actually I do have my old cd installation but it never occurred to
      > me it would work on Win8 machine, can you give me further details on
      > how to do,
      >

      > .........Edmund..........Alberta

    • Show all 90 messages in this topic