141981Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Teacup Firmware

  • Robin Stoddart-Stones
    Nov 3 4:53 AM
      Well, I did say that Marlin only just fitted on a 644 (64 k of memory) so it was fairly certain it would not fit on a 328 (32 k of memory).

      I am surprised that you needed to 'fix the errors' in getting Teacup to compile, what version of Teacup are you running?

      latest on Github seems to be Teacup Five D (https://github.com/Traumflug/Teacup_Firmware)

      You really need to be on one of the RepRap forums rather than a MACH forum for problems of this nature, somewhere where Triffid Hunter and Traumflug (Michael Moon and Markus Hitter)  who wrote the program can help you.

      The Pronterface interface (Kliment's Printrun with a friendly face) has a couple of snags documented in the above thread.

      I'm not really sure what you are trying to do.

      As far as I am aware Mach does all the cartesian maths for you, converting a Gcode (Go to positionA) into stepper instructions (Stepper X 300 steps, Stepper Y 3200 steps) for you.  So you don't need Teacup to do it for you again.

      What you do not get from Mach is explicit Extruder control. But then the extruder calculations are done by your slicing software, (for example slic3r) which works out specific extruder strategies (things like first layers, rafts, skirts, bridging, ooze and oozebane) and attaches them as extrusion control instructions to the positional G-codes.

      eg a typical slic3r instruction will look like (G1 X76.508 Y66.858 F900.000 E3.03372) (Go to X76.508, Y66.858, speed 900.000 Extrude3.03372mm) and the extruder control is NOT extrusion out of the nozzle but control of the amount of filament going in to the  extruder.

      Extruder controls will require heat (different for each filament, not just each material , so blue ABS filament has a different temperature from clear ABS ) and protection (cold extrusion prevention) and volume.  Volume is controlled by stepper feed in.  It will depend on whether you are feeding 1.75mm filament or 3mm filament or some other proprietary size and the size of your nozzle on the hot end)  eg:~https://www.hotends.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=88

      Thing is, if you are wiring your Arduino in as a CNC controller for a machine that is already CNC controlled, it is likely to be a lot more expensive in the long run than simply building a 3d Printer platform.  A Mill is designed to withstand cutting forces that can be considerable, a 3D printer has no forces greater than mechanical strength of 0.3mm of plastic heated beyond the TG point (if one discounts the inertia of the head)

      Trying to squeeze Cartesian conversion and 4 axis control (X,Y,Z, E) as well as heat onto 32 k of memory is always going to require  compromises.

      On 03/11/2013 03:48, Jim Osborne wrote:

      FYI update...
      I got into Marlin only to find the firmware would not run on my atmega328... seems to like Mega 2560.
      I now have Teacup firmware playing... not much so far but looks promising.
      I had a hell of time getting the Arduino IDE to compile the code. Had to fix several errors.
      Maybe in a day or two I can move up and down any axis using the Printrun CLI... after I learn the right commands.

      Sent: Friday, November 01, 2013 6:33 PM
      Subject: Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Teacup Firmware

      It depends what you want to do with it.

      A good site to understand the scope is http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap_Options#G-code_interpreter

      Programs like Marlin, Sprinter and Teacup are slanted at the 3D Printer market.

      Reprap itself is an acronym for (self-)Replicating Rapid Application Printer, part of the original concept being that one of the first things one does with a reprap printer is create a set of the plastic parts necessary to make another one.

      So the Gcodes are most useful in the 3D printer environment.  Much of the RepRap stuff is opensource, so if one wished to convert M106 / M107 from Fan off/ Fan on in a printer to Coolant on / Off for a mill or lathe, one can, just as one can use the extruder instructions  to provide spindle control if the explicit spindle controls are not there, but it's a bit of a kludge.

      The point being that there is no such thing as XP based firmware for an Arduino. The Firmware operates on the Arduino, not on the XP. One uses the Arduino IDE to transfer something like Marlin to the Arduino and then feeds it Gcodes from a Host like Pronterface, or if one has enough memory on the Arduino, from an SD card.

      I use Marlin, on an ATMega 644, which only just fits and so one has to choose whether to use some of the features like SD support or not.  Arduinos with more memory, like the ATmega 2560 (see  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino) have less of a problem.

      Most of the common RepRap programs are written with either or both Linux and Windows packages and often with preloaded binaries, while almost all are available from GitHub in some form. (GitHub is a technology I haven't mastered but many of the nodes have a Zip file downloader for Windows environments).

      On 01/11/2013 16:47, Jim Osborne wrote:
      I am running the Arduino IDE on a Windows XP box and was thinking about using 'Teacup' (RepRap) firmware.
      I first checked out Sprinter (RepRap) but this firmware seemed more geared to other operating systems so I thought
      'Teacup' may be a better choice for a Windows machine.
      My question is, when using an Arduino based controller, what is the best (g-code) firmware for Windows XP?
      Thanks for any suggestions.

  • Show all 6 messages in this topic