113273Re: Using windows XP

  • himykabibble
    Oct 1, 2009
      Lester,

      When you buy a retail Windows license, you can move it from machine to machine as many times as you like, the *only* restriction being that it can only be installed on a single machine at any one time. But, when you buy a packaged PC with an "OEM" license, the Windows license and the hardware are tied together, and *cannot* be separated. I'm not aware of *any* court ruling in the US that would invalidate this. This is a restriction MS puts on the OEM license in exhange for a LARGE price-break to the OEM, and, therefore, the end-user. There are other FAR more restrictive license terms on other software, like the multi-million dollar CAD/EDA tools I deal with. Those are VERY often licensed to a single machine, and moving the license often involves a hefty additional fee.

      If you have a machine with the license key label glued to it, you absoutely can re-load Windows onto *that* machine using *that* key, and that WILL be an OEM key. But you cannot *legally* use that key on any other machine. That would be a violation of the license agreement. You may get away with it, but it IS a violation of the license.

      I have always found it disconcerting that so many people have always looked at software licensing from the standpoint of what they can get away with, rather than what's "right", and what was implicitly agreed to when the software was purchased. What is becoming of ethics and personal integrity?

      Regards,
      Ray L.

      --- In mach1mach2cnc@yahoogroups.com, Lester Caine <lester@...> wrote:

      > vrsculptor@... wrote:
      > > I have been told that you can do the following:
      > > 1. Find any dead PC (trash pile, garage sale..) with a windows Genuine advantage sticker on it.
      > > 2. Load XP on your new system using an OEM disk. You cannot use a system restore disk. Use the key on the dead system's advantage disk.
      > > 3. Authorize the system online and you are off and running.
      > >
      > > Back when MS had a fight with system resellers who wiped and reloaded used machines for resale using the attached stickers and generic OEM disk. They claimed it was in violation of the agreement. There was a scuffle and MS backed down. I don't know on what basis.
      >
      > THAT was one of the court cases in the *US* that set the rules - or so I
      > understand. But in that case the legal position was - why is someone who
      > is simply having to rebuild the machine because a virus has destroyed it
      > and different to a third party doing the same thing. Often rebuilding
      > from the supplied recovery disk simply did not work and one had to use
      > an alternative. I think what also came in here was 'repossession'
      > situations or bankruptcies? Just because something is repossessed does
      > not prevent it from being sold on complete with it's software.
      >
      > --
      > Lester Caine - G8HFL
      > Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk//
      > Firebird - http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php