113271Re: [mach1mach2cnc] Re: Using windows XP

  • Lester Caine
    Oct 1, 2009
      vrsculptor@... wrote:
      > I have been told that you can do the following:
      > 1. Find any dead PC (trash pile, garage sale..) with a windows Genuine advantage sticker on it.
      > 2. Load XP on your new system using an OEM disk. You cannot use a system restore disk. Use the key on the dead system's advantage disk.
      > 3. Authorize the system online and you are off and running.
      >
      > Back when MS had a fight with system resellers who wiped and reloaded used machines for resale using the attached stickers and generic OEM disk. They claimed it was in violation of the agreement. There was a scuffle and MS backed down. I don't know on what basis.

      THAT was one of the court cases in the *US* that set the rules - or so I
      understand. But in that case the legal position was - why is someone who
      is simply having to rebuild the machine because a virus has destroyed it
      and different to a third party doing the same thing. Often rebuilding
      from the supplied recovery disk simply did not work and one had to use
      an alternative. I think what also came in here was 'repossession'
      situations or bankruptcies? Just because something is repossessed does
      not prevent it from being sold on complete with it's software.

      --
      Lester Caine - G8HFL