113268Re: Using windows XP

  • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
    Oct 1 6:59 AM
      I have been told that you can do the following:
      1. Find any dead PC (trash pile, garage sale..) with a windows Genuine advantage sticker on it.
      2. Load XP on your new system using an OEM disk. You cannot use a system restore disk. Use the key on the dead system's advantage disk.
      3. Authorize the system online and you are off and running.

      Back when MS had a fight with system resellers who wiped and reloaded used machines for resale using the attached stickers and generic OEM disk. They claimed it was in violation of the agreement. There was a scuffle and MS backed down. I don't know on what basis.

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic