Oars?

  • eo_ant
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
      Has anyone tried extending the bridge deck a little and using it as a
      place to sit for rowing their M19? With the light weight seems like
      rowing might be a viable alternative or backup to the outboard. If
      anyone has tried this, what length oars did you use?

      Eric
    • kevinmeylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2005
        Interesting Eric. I've never thought of it, but would be very
        interested in the results if you give it a try. Based on my experience
        docking in a brisk breeze, the high freeboard of the boat tends to make
        it prone to being blown around. I'd think it could take a LOT of
        effort to keep her on track unless you had a completely placid day.

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "eo_ant" <eric@h...> wrote:
        > Has anyone tried extending the bridge deck a little and using it as a
        > place to sit for rowing their M19? With the light weight seems like
        > rowing might be a viable alternative or backup to the outboard. If
        > anyone has tried this, what length oars did you use?
        >
        > Eric
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 10, 2005
          I observed something interesting yesterday that relates to this
          subject heading. I was up at Dana Point test sailing another Mac19
          for a client of mine when I guess a 25' sportfisher's engine died on
          his way to the launch ramp. The guy then got out his sea kayak and
          towed the boat the rest of the way onto his trailer. It was very
          impressive considering that the boat probably weighed 4000lbs+ and
          there was a 5-7knot head wind.

          I've been thinking about getting a sea kayak as a tender and this
          could be a good back-up (after sailing) if I run out of gas or
          whatever.

          -Chris

          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "kevinmeylor"
          <kevin@m...> wrote:
          > Interesting Eric. I've never thought of it, but would be very
          > interested in the results if you give it a try. Based on my
          experience
          > docking in a brisk breeze, the high freeboard of the boat tends to
          make
          > it prone to being blown around. I'd think it could take a LOT of
          > effort to keep her on track unless you had a completely placid day.
          >
          > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "eo_ant" <eric@h...>
          wrote:
          > > Has anyone tried extending the bridge deck a little and using it
          as a
          > > place to sit for rowing their M19? With the light weight seems
          like
          > > rowing might be a viable alternative or backup to the outboard. If
          > > anyone has tried this, what length oars did you use?
          > >
          > > Eric
        • eo_ant
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
            I've been looking into inflatable sea kayaks that could serve as a
            dinghy when anchored and as a fun toy to explore along interesting
            shores both using the M19 as a base and on its own in a river or some
            place that I might drive to without the M19.

            Inflatable would make it easy to store onboard and relatively easy to
            setup when needed, as well as easy to transport in a car. Problem so
            far has been getting reliable feedback or reviews on just how well
            they work. I think they should be easier to paddle than an inflatable
            dinghy, but have also read some comments that would seem to suggest
            they don't hold their shape very well with full sized adult
            passengers. Seylor makes a fairly inexpensive model that gets used on
            river trips. Coleman makes a similar model. West Marine sells a more
            expensive one. But no one in any of the stores I have been in can tell
            me anything about how well they really perform. Reviews on the
            Internet are few and mixed.

            I used to own a collapsable kayak (canvas skin over wood frame) that
            worked very well on lakes and the sound. I even used it on a couple of
            river trips. But it would be too difficult to assemble while on a M19
            to make it practical for that application.

            Eric

            --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cbhinkel2@c...>
            wrote:
            > I observed something interesting yesterday that relates to this
            > subject heading. I was up at Dana Point test sailing another Mac19
            > for a client of mine when I guess a 25' sportfisher's engine died on
            > his way to the launch ramp. The guy then got out his sea kayak and
            > towed the boat the rest of the way onto his trailer. It was very
            > impressive considering that the boat probably weighed 4000lbs+ and
            > there was a 5-7knot head wind.
            >
            > I've been thinking about getting a sea kayak as a tender and this
            > could be a good back-up (after sailing) if I run out of gas or
            > whatever.
            >
            > -Chris
            >

            > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "kevinmeylor"
            > <kevin@m...> wrote:
            > > Interesting Eric. I've never thought of it, but would be very
            > > interested in the results if you give it a try. Based on my
            > experience
            > > docking in a brisk breeze, the high freeboard of the boat tends to
            > make
            > > it prone to being blown around. I'd think it could take a LOT of
            > > effort to keep her on track unless you had a completely placid day.
            > >
            > > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "eo_ant" <eric@h...>
            > wrote:
            > > > Has anyone tried extending the bridge deck a little and using it
            > as a
            > > > place to sit for rowing their M19? With the light weight seems
            > like
            > > > rowing might be a viable alternative or backup to the outboard. If
            > > > anyone has tried this, what length oars did you use?
            > > >
            > > > Eric
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
              Look at this series of postings on the Mac26X site about kayaks:

              http://macgregorsailors.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3750

              I think you might like my little story I added at the end!

              -Chris

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
                Even some Walmarts, Pep boys, etc. sell inflatable
                kayaks which you can try and then return if you're not
                happy with them. There are lots of different models at
                different prices so I wouldn't buy any that you can't
                return if you don't like them. I thought the prices
                on several that I saw were pricey. You might find
                them much cheaper on Ebay or just searching the net
                but then returning them if you don't like them may not
                be possible or a big hassle compared to returning them
                to your local sports store/chain store. I'm spoiled,
                having just gotten two of the Hobie flipper/pedal
                powered Kayaks, a single and a double with a sail kit
                for the single. They're expensive but great. One
                person peddling the flipper drive can outpul two
                people using regular paddles. Of course they take up
                more room than an inflatable.

                I've also been looking for a heavy duty 12 volt air
                compressor which you can run for more than a few
                minutes to blow out the ballast tank faster. Most of
                the little toy cheapie models don't pump much volume
                so they're OK for tire emergency but a poor choice for
                inflating a kayak or pressuring the ballast tank.
                Unless your motor doesn't have an alternator, running
                the motor will power the compressor without draining
                the battery. good luck. Mike

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • medrich310
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
                  It interesting the tender/inflatable boat/kayak subject came up.
                  Just two days ago I bought a "compromise tender" on Ebay. I haven't
                  received it yet but since you guys are on the topic I thought
                  someone else might like one too. Sevylor has a discontinued
                  inflatable SevyTex 8'6" SEV SVX250WT, inflatable floor, transom, 4hp
                  max., and oars, that's going for $250 plus shipping on Ebay. The
                  durability & quality of the fabric isn't equal to a Zodiac or even
                  the one from from Westmarine, but that means it's light enough, at
                  41 pounds, for a Mac19 skipper to stow in the forward cabin. (I
                  think the quality inflatable tenders are twice as heavy and four
                  times as expensive.) What motor and pump to use is another matter.
                  If you check it out and like it let me know - the sellers store is
                  at http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.com/_Canoes-Kayaks-
                  Rafts_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ11QQsacatZ36121QQsassZsevyloroutle
                  t Their Ebay name is Sevyloroutlet They have two dutch auctions
                  currently with a total of six more.

                  Brian

                  P.S. Update on my 50hp 2cycle Merc. My vacation ended before I could
                  install the Ezy-Glide steering. I have to cut into both sides of
                  the transom well and install boots to seal the holes. I'm sailing
                  in my imagination though. I'm planning what I can realistically do
                  when I'm done with mods and sea trials. That's why I figured I need
                  a tender too. I sure hope what I'm doing works the way I'm planning
                  it. I think so, but....

                  Chris, I'll bet you read this far. Do you have a quick rudder
                  raising and lowering system along with your other modifications?

                  --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, mike fortuna

                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 11, 2005
                    I had a Sevylor Marvista extra-wide kayak type of tender when I had
                    my 26X (its been discontinued for a while now). The wide nature of
                    it allowed stable boarding, but it was a dog in the water compared
                    to a standard inflatable kayak design. It has a see-thru bottom
                    though, which was neat for the clear waters of Catalina. I decided
                    to go with the Marvista essentially because of the story I described
                    on the Mac26X board. I didn't want my wife to go for a swim!

                    The Marvista I felt was too big to have in my Mac19 so I recently
                    sold it on eBay. In its place, I bought one of those $80 tenders at
                    Costco that has everything you need to use it, including a storage
                    bag to keep everything neat and compact. I'll be using it for the
                    first time when my buddy and I head over to Catalina in a week.

                    Brian, sorry to disappoint you but I don't have a formal rudder
                    raising mechanism on my boat. However, my dual swim platforms not
                    only allow me to do get out of the water, serve as a dinghy boarding
                    platform or even hold a fishing bait tank, they also provide a place
                    for me to kneel to remove the shear pins out of my rudders while I'm
                    in the water. It only takes about a minute for me to perform this
                    operation, which satisfies my needs for quickness.

                    -Chris

                    --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "medrich310" <zen@z...>

                  • eo_ant
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 12, 2005
                      Chris,

                      Thanks for the link. Still haven't found the kind of detailed review
                      of the inflatable kayaks I'd like to see, but every little bit helps.
                      I think the kayak shape has to be easier to paddle or row than the
                      beamier inflatable tenders, but a lot of the kayaks don't have much
                      load capacity (400 or 500 lbs.). And I wonder about the relative
                      wetness or dryness of diferent inflatable types. Some of them have
                      self-bailing drains - hopefully something only needed when running
                      white water. Puget Sound water is pretty cold.

                      I single so maybe unstable isn't so bad. No wait she left the guy
                      behind after falling in.