Re: MMM's Fred pictures uploaded

  • kevinmeylor
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
      So I was going through some of the group photos, and came across
      Portapotty.JPG in the MMM's Fred directory. What jumped out at me is
      the item up on the shelf. It looks to me like a VRO oil tank for a
      two stroke motor. As I'm moving to a two stroke in the coming weeks,
      I've been contemplating where to put it.

      MMM -- Are you still out there? Is this where it's permanently
      mounted? Can you tell us more about it.

      Anyone else have suggestions for where to mount the oil tankt hat is
      out of the way. The two obvious places are the fuel lockers (both of
      mine are occupied) and the motor well (not condusive to tilting the
      engine up). Other thoughts?

      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "safieradam"

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2005
        Place for oil container was in my head/toilet also
        before I decided to stick with mixing oil in tank
        rather than depending on injector with an older motor.
        Guess one advantage of having it there is the ease of
        cleanup in case of a spill. Good luck

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • kevinmeylor
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2005
          Thanks Mike. I'll look at that location in detail this weekend. Did
          you find it left an oily smell at all in the cabin? I also wonder, is
          two stroke oil by itself flammable?

          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, mike fortuna

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 5, 2005
            Might get a bit of smell, especially if you spill any
            filling the container but then it might cover up
            normal head odors.
            2 cycle is essentially the same as regular car oil,
            sometimes with an additive that MIGHT keep plugs from
            fouling. In fact, I often just use regular 4 cycle
            oil when 2 cycle isn't available. As far as
            flammability, it's not very volitile-it may burn but
            isn't very easy to ignite.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 5, 2005
              I think I'll try it first in the motorwell and see how often it gets in
              my way. If I'm planning to mostly sail I suppose I can leave the 2nd
              gas tank behind and put it there so the motor can be tilted up. It's
              good to know the head shelf is a viable option though.

              <angelwilliams69@y...> wrote:
              > Might get a bit of smell, especially if you spill any
              > filling the container but then it might cover up
              > normal head odors.
              > 2 cycle is essentially the same as regular car oil,
              > sometimes with an additive that MIGHT keep plugs from
              > fouling. In fact, I often just use regular 4 cycle
              > oil when 2 cycle isn't available. As far as
              > flammability, it's not very volitile-it may burn but
              > isn't very easy to ignite.
            • Mad_Mac_Mod
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 7, 2005
                I still check in occasionally... Too busy to read anymore but the group is
                worth following and very helful.

                The thing above the portapotty is an oil tank - about the size of a battery,
                clamped down with two long screw with hooks to little eyes. Actually a very
                good place for it as it's out of the way, though you want a pump or small
                bottle for re-filling. Oil lines run to the back of the boat and out to the
                1993 40 HP Johnson.

                But....

                I had the unit disconnected and emptied the oil tank, though it's still
                mounted and ready to go again if desired. (the mecahic gave me the parts and
                it's reversible). The reason is that I was having problems with the motor
                and did not know if it was the oil pump or other things. I heard stories of
                the oil feed not working and engines burning up. A couple times I got funny
                beeping from the engine - a scary thing on the water and I slowed to a crawl
                to get back in. The engine problems - a whole bunch of symptoms that looked
                like overheating and inadequate fuel flow - turned out to be a
                broken/shorting wire! Argh! When the wire got fixed all the problems went
                away. But in the mean time the gas flow, timing etc etc. got serviced and
                the carbs rebuilt by the mechanic, in an attempt to find the problem. Still
                had to bring it back after a trip when it just died suddenly, but then
                started again.

                I semi-regret having it disconnected - I have to mix the oil/gas, which is
                OK when dealing with an empty tank, but getting proportions right with a
                partial tank is a pain. Also, I don't know the effect of older gas/oil
                mix - ie. from last summer. Where can I dump 6 gallons of last year's gas?
                When it was just gas I used to dump it in my tractor.... On the other hand
                I really like knowing that the oil is in the gas when I'm running flat outs
                and the oil pump is not an issue.

                MMM

                > So I was going through some of the group photos, and came across
                > Portapotty.JPG in the MMM's Fred directory. What jumped out at me is
                > the item up on the shelf. It looks to me like a VRO oil tank for a
                > two stroke motor. As I'm moving to a two stroke in the coming weeks,
                > I've been contemplating where to put it.
                >
                > MMM -- Are you still out there? Is this where it's permanently
                > mounted? Can you tell us more about it.
                >
                > Anyone else have suggestions for where to mount the oil tankt hat is
                > out of the way. The two obvious places are the fuel lockers (both of
                > mine are occupied) and the motor well (not condusive to tilting the
                > engine up). Other thoughts?
                >
                > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "safieradam"
                > <Mad_Mac_Mod@h...> wrote:
                > > I finally got around to uploading pictures of Fred in the photo
                > > section.
                > >
                > > Some of the items of interest from past discussions:
                > >
                > > Motor well drain holes and hoses to bilge pumps. I can't find all
                > the
                > > bilge pump pictures but I have 2 pumps. The current pictures show
                > > the starboard pump hookup.
                > >
                > > Balast tank vent valve on extension - keeps me from hanging upside
                > > down while messing with vent while filling/dumping balast.
                > >
                > > Anchor light socket and turnbuckle for rear stay.
                > >
                > > Electric panel and anchor pole storage.
                > >
                > > Home made mast raising pole.
                > >
                > > Misc. boat parts (what are the rectangular silver plates near the
                > jib
                > > leads by the front of the hatch - in hatch cover quick release pic.)
                > >
                > > MMM
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Mad_Mac_Mod
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 7, 2005
                  Oh, the hoses from mine and electrical wire were run behind the cabin liner
                  so they are not visible except at the very end when they go through the
                  transom.

                  MMM

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 8, 2005
                    As far as dumping last year's gas, consider using it
                    up in a lawn mower or even your car, mixing a bit at a
                    time with new gas. It can go bad, especially over a
                    hot summer but I've never had any problems using it up
                    that way. The oil in the mix might eventually foul a
                    plug but unlikely if you mix it with regular gas.
                    Mike

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • kevinmeylor
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 8, 2005
                      Thanks for the feedback MMM. I may go that route. Sounds like
                      everyone with a VRO has abandonded it for a pre-mix. Maybe that's
                      just the way to go...

                      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Mad_Mac_Mod"
                      <Mad_Mac_Mod@h...> wrote:
                      > Oh, the hoses from mine and electrical wire were run behind the
                      cabin liner
                      > so they are not visible except at the very end when they go through
                      the
                      > transom.
                      >
                      > MMM

                    • Mad_Mac_Mod
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 17, 2005
                        Well, after a winter of evaporating gas I don't know my oil/gas mix in an
                        almost full 6 gallon tank..... But a little too much oil is OK and it's
                        smoke and labor vs. the very rare case when you are not sure the VRO is
                        working and start to have heart burn about burning the engine. I already
                        take too many tums.

                        MMM