Ballast Tank Hatches

  • eo_ant
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
      I remember someone asking about about using screw off inspection hatch
      covers for access to the ballast tank instead of the flat 6" pieces of
      fiberglass that Macgregor used. Seemed like a reasonable idea. In the
      process of asking around about different things I was told that the
      real early boats came with the inspection type covers, but unless they
      were screwed on really tight they tended to leak and since that wasn't
      an area that normally needed access they changed to the simpler, less
      leak prone, flat plastic plates.

      Now if I could just figure out how to get my mast step off. Not even
      the dealer I talked to was able to help me.

      Eric
    • David Mathis
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2005
        Call the factory for help on the mast step removal problem. I have called them before and found advice very helpful.

        eo_ant <eric@...> wrote:
        I remember someone asking about about using screw off inspection hatch
        covers for access to the ballast tank instead of the flat 6" pieces of
        fiberglass that Macgregor used. Seemed like a reasonable idea. In the
        process of asking around about different things I was told that the
        real early boats came with the inspection type covers, but unless they
        were screwed on really tight they tended to leak and since that wasn't
        an area that normally needed access they changed to the simpler, less
        leak prone, flat plastic plates.

        Now if I could just figure out how to get my mast step off. Not even
        the dealer I talked to was able to help me.

        Eric

        Discover Yahoo!
      • eo_ant
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 7, 2005
          Thanks for the suggestion David. That's exactly what I did last week.
          They referred me to a dealer who in turn, after a few days, referred
          me back to the factory. But I finally did get an answer.

          The center bolt of the mast compression step is held in place with a
          lock nut that resides inside of the mast compression post. The only
          way to remove it is to cut the fiberglass liner away at the bottom of
          the mast compression post, then slide the bottom of the compression
          post sideways and down out of the hole in the liner at the top of the
          cabin. With the mast compression post out of the way you have access
          to the lock nut on the center bolt.

          Not as easy as I was hoping. Would require fiberglass repair work
          after the post was put back in place.

          Eric

          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, David Mathis

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 7, 2005
            Hi all,

            This is good info and I will capature it and put it in our file
            section.

            Ron

          • Bruce Puckett
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 7, 2005
              Eric,

              Could you possibly cut the head off of the bolt and let the shaft
              and the nut fall to the bottom of the mast support? Then you could
              replace it with another bolt and some type of expanding anchor on
              the inside. My Mac had the two piece mast support on it when I
              bought it. The mast support pole had not been disturbed on this
              boat but the bolt had been taken out somehow.

              Bruce

              --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "eo_ant" <eric@h...>
              wrote:
              > Thanks for the suggestion David. That's exactly what I did last
              week.
              > They referred me to a dealer who in turn, after a few days,
              referred
              > me back to the factory. But I finally did get an answer.
              >
              > The center bolt of the mast compression step is held in place with
              > lock nut that resides inside of the mast compression post. The only
              > way to remove it is to cut the fiberglass liner away at the bottom
              of
              > the mast compression post, then slide the bottom of the compression
              > post sideways and down out of the hole in the liner at the top of
              the
              > cabin. With the mast compression post out of the way you have
              access
              > to the lock nut on the center bolt.
              >
              > Not as easy as I was hoping. Would require fiberglass repair work
              > after the post was put back in place.
              >
              > Eric
              >
              > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, David Mathis
              > <virplemae@y...> wrote:
              > > Call the factory for help on the mast step removal problem. I
              have
              > called them before and found advice very helpful.
              > >
              > > eo_ant <eric@h...> wrote:I remember someone asking about about
              using
              > screw off inspection hatch
              > > covers for access to the ballast tank instead of the flat 6"
              pieces of
              > > fiberglass that Macgregor used. Seemed like a reasonable idea.
              In the
              > > process of asking around about different things I was told that
              the
              > > real early boats came with the inspection type covers, but
              unless they
              > > were screwed on really tight they tended to leak and since that
              wasn't
              > > an area that normally needed access they changed to the simpler,
              less
              > > leak prone, flat plastic plates.
              > >
              > > Now if I could just figure out how to get my mast step off. Not
              even
              > > the dealer I talked to was able to help me.
              > >
              > > Eric

              Service.

              > > ---------------------------------
              > > Discover Yahoo!
              > > Stay in touch with email, IM, photo sharing & more. Check it
              out!
            • Garmon, Tom
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2005
                Eric,

                I have a '92 model. My 19' was originally equipped with Macgregor's first attempt at a rotating mast and a 3/4 rig. Needless to say that it didn't work too well, so I swapped it out for a full rig and a two piece mast hinge. It also had the center bolt that served as a pivot point for the mast. I did end up cutting the bolt and letting the nut fall into the compression post. The new mast hinge came with 4 1/4" bolts, so I simply drilled new holes for the hinge and caulked it.

                Worked great!

                Tom
                '92 19'
                Brunswick, Ohio

                <virplemae@y...> wrote:
                > > Call the factory for help on the mast
                step removal problem. I
                have
                > called them before and found advice
                very helpful.

                > > eo_ant <eric@h...> wrote:I
                remember someone asking about about
                using
                > screw off inspection
                hatch
                > > covers for access to the ballast tank instead of the flat 6"
                pieces of
                > > fiberglass that Macgregor used. Seemed like a
                reasonable idea.
                In the
                > > process of asking around about
                different things I was told that
                the
                > > real early boats came with
                the inspection type covers, but
                unless they
                > > were screwed on
                really tight they tended to leak and since that
                wasn't
                > > an area
                that normally needed access they changed to the simpler,
                less

                leak prone, flat plastic plates.

                > > Now if I could just
                figure out how to get my mast step off. Not
                even
                > > the dealer I
                talked to was able to help me.

                > > Eric

                send an email to:

                > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                Yahoo! Terms of
                Service.

                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 8, 2005
                  Tom, both you and Bruce refer to a two piece mast hinge. I'm trying to
                  picture what that must look like. My mast bolts directly to the mast
                  step with a single bolt.

                  Sounds like the center bolt is not necessary. Though cutting it off
                  while it is held down firmly to the mast step seems like it might be
                  difficult to do. Don't think I could get a hack saw blade underneath
                  the head of the bolt.

                  Without the center bolt in the mast step a line could be run up the
                  mast compression post to raise and lower the centerboard in the same
                  way it is done on a 26X. This way the centerboard could be controlled
                  from the cockpit without any interference inside the cabin. The point
                  of attachment for the line to the centerboard would probably have to
                  be somewhat aft of where the compression post sits on the centerboard
                  trunk (maybe halfway done the board) in order to get the leverage
                  needed to raise the board.

                  Or maybe the line could remain attached as it is now and be routed up
                  the compression post instead of up the plastic tube as it is now.
                  Would depend on the amount of clearance at the front end of the board.
                  Has anyone had their centerboard out that can comment on this?

                  Eric

                  --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Garmon, Tom" <tomg@w...>

                • Bruce Puckett
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 8, 2005

                    Eric,

                    The link above has a picture of the 2 piece mast step.  The top part pivots to vertical to bolt to the mast.  This way the mast doesn't have to slide in the hinge as you raise it.  This site has a few other neat modifications and variations of the mac 19.
                    If you have access to a hand held angle grinder, you could just grind the head off.  A moto tool with a cutting disc would also work but would take a little longer.  Just don't go at too fast and overheat the fiberglass.
                    I like the idea of running the centerboard control through the mast support.  Everything else on JoJo can be controlled from the cockpit.  I may have to work on that one.

                    Bruce

                    wrote:
                    > Eric,

                    > I have a '92 model. My 19' was originally equipped with Macgregor's
                    > first attempt at a rotating mast and a 3/4 rig. Needless to say that it
                    > didn't work too well, so I swapped it out for a full rig and a two piece
                    > mast hinge. It also had the center bolt that served as a pivot point for
                    > the mast. I did end up cutting the bolt and letting the nut fall into
                    > the compression post. The new mast hinge came with 4 1/4" bolts, so I
                    > simply drilled new holes for the hinge and caulked it.

                    > Worked great!

                    > Tom
                    > '92 19'
                    > Brunswick, Ohio
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • eo_ant
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 9, 2005
                      Thanks for the photo link. Makes sense now. The two part mast step
                      could make bringing a line up through the mast post more difficult.
                      Could be tricky even with just a single piece because the line would
                      emerge from the deck in the middle of the mast base and then ideally
                      need to exit to the side.

                      Eric

                      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Puckett