Re: Forgot the ballast ports (Duh!)

  • Angelo Michelotti
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2003
      Ron,
      Why not just install automatic bilge pumps or two(one one each side
      of the keel stiffener so it drains both sides) and you can always
      connect some kind of noisemaker or flashing light to the pump to let
      you know it's working. Adam in Baltimore, in our group, has
      successfully installed the pumps if you want details. I've used them
      on other boats I've owned. I was planning to do the same this summer
      before going on any long cruises just in case anything leaks, by
      accident or otherwise. I believe he bought his at Walmart for less
      than the typical marine supply store price.

      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Buckles"

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2003
        Yes, that would be the way to go. But I still have
        not talked myself into doing it yet.

        --- Angelo Michelotti <angelwilliams69@...>

      • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2003
          It does add peace of mind to know they are working, though I find myself
          watching for the telltales that they are pumping when the bow goes up.

          A 500 Gallon pump on port is T'd into the motorwell drain and a 300 gallon
          pump on starboard is connected to a hose that exits with the motor wires/oil
          hose and takes a bend to face backwards. The starboard pump rarely needs to
          come on. The port pump often comes on when I turn on the engine and the bow
          comes up. BTW, the pumps are mounted on an aluminum plate with a float
          switch for each so I didn't have to drill into the boat bottom. When they
          were mounted I simply dropped them in the bilge wells in the back and
          connected the short wires to a long wire to the battery with screw caps.
          Filled the caps with 5200 to keep water out and tried to use plastic ties to
          hang the mess on top of the spine from a tiny hole already in the edge of
          the well cover lip. Seems to have worked and I have not shorted the battery
          yet. I'll have to get some pictures.

          MMM