"GATO DIABLO" unveiled!

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2005
      Hello,

      I went ahead and posted some pictures on my refurbished/upgraded
      Mac19, "GATO DIABLO". If interested, look into the apply named
      folder. Also, no interior pictures yet as work still needs to be
      done there. Once done with that, my last focus will be the sailing
      characteristics.

      Current modification include (to my best of memory!): Honda 50hp
      outboard with modified tiller controls, 15" outboard setback spacer
      with 10degrees of motor tilt, modified rudder steering mechanism,
      32gal pressure H2O, hose washdown, relocated/oversized ballast valve,
      Sealand Traveler marine head with pump-out and macerator, dual bilge
      pumps, cabin extensively modified and "opened up", in dash CD/AM/FM
      with inside+outside speakers, porthole window into cockpit, compass
      in cockpit, four stainless steel cleats, centerboard cable into
      cockpit, dual 9gal gas tanks, large hatch in bow area, stainless
      steel B-B-Q, DSC VHF with relocated 8' antenna, relocated
      anchor/motoring light, dual aft swim platforms, fortified transom
      with built in anchor locker, voltmeter and outboard H2O pressure
      guages, fishfinder, GPS, TV, Westmarine automatic battery combiner, 3
      interior lights, new storage compartments, 3 batteries with a manual
      battery switch, charging terminals, 2 inside and outside power
      outlets, custom dinette table, etc.-etc.

      Trailer stuff includes: rust converter coating, two coats of
      polyurethane paint, , added a third set of boat support bunks at bow,
      rebuilt bearings, strengthened axle, LED lights, guide bunks, guide
      posts, spare tire holder with spare.

      So, after two years of work, I was so-SO glad to be able to be back
      on the water again. I took my father-in -law out fishing off of
      Huntington Beach last weekend as an example. Catalina is next!

      Feel free to inquire about some of these upgrades......

      -Chris
      "GATO DIABLO"
    • rdaalen
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2005
        Now that's a nice looking boat with intersting mods. Selling by any
        chance :-)!

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cbhinkel2@c...>

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30, 2005
          Hey,
          sounds great. Send photos. How fast is the boat with
          the 50 hp compared to a 40? I heard rumors that a 50
          hp can approach 30 mph?
          But then the brochure says a 40 hp can reach 24 mph.
          They don't mention that it's a totally empty boat with
          a 70 pound skipper.

          We're going to be moving from Michigan to Phoenix area
          in May and tentatively plan to bring the boat. So far
          I didn't find any Mac 19 owners in the area so I
          didn't really consider selling mine here and buying
          another out there. Will miss the Great Lakes but
          having 12 months of sailing on the various lakes and
          reservoirs nearby may help to make up for it. Mike

          --- rdaalen <jillenrob@...> wrote:

          > Now that's a nice looking boat with intersting mods.
          > Selling by any
          > chance :-)!
          >

          > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Chris"
          > <cbhinkel2@c...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I went ahead and posted some pictures on my
          > refurbished/upgraded
          > > Mac19, "GATO DIABLO". If interested, look into
          > the apply named
          > > folder. Also, no interior pictures yet as work
          > still needs to be
          > > done there. Once done with that, my last focus
          > will be the sailing
          > > characteristics.
          > >
          > > Current modification include (to my best of
          > memory!): Honda 50hp
          > > outboard with modified tiller controls, 15"
          > outboard setback spacer
          > > with 10degrees of motor tilt, modified rudder
          > steering mechanism,
          > > 32gal pressure H2O, hose washdown,
          > relocated/oversized ballast valve,
          > > Sealand Traveler marine head with pump-out and
          > macerator, dual bilge
          > > pumps, cabin extensively modified and "opened up",
          > in dash CD/AM/FM
          > > with inside+outside speakers, porthole window into
          > cockpit, compass
          > > in cockpit, four stainless steel cleats,
          > centerboard cable into
          > > cockpit, dual 9gal gas tanks, large hatch in bow
          > area, stainless
          > > steel B-B-Q, DSC VHF with relocated 8' antenna,
          > relocated
          > > anchor/motoring light, dual aft swim platforms,
          > fortified transom
          > > with built in anchor locker, voltmeter and
          > outboard H2O pressure
          > > guages, fishfinder, GPS, TV, Westmarine automatic
          > battery combiner, 3
          > > interior lights, new storage compartments, 3
          > batteries with a manual
          > > battery switch, charging terminals, 2 inside and
          > outside power
          > > outlets, custom dinette table, etc.-etc.
          > >
          > > Trailer stuff includes: rust converter coating,
          > two coats of
          > > polyurethane paint, , added a third set of boat
          > support bunks at bow,
          > > rebuilt bearings, strengthened axle, LED lights,
          > guide bunks, guide
          > > posts, spare tire holder with spare.
          > >
          > > So, after two years of work, I was so-SO glad to
          > be able to be back
          > > on the water again. I took my father-in -law out
          > fishing off of
          > > Huntington Beach last weekend as an example.
          > Catalina is next!
          > >
          > > Feel free to inquire about some of these
          > upgrades......
          > >
          > > -Chris
          > > "GATO DIABLO"

          Make Yahoo! your home page
          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
            Mike,

            My boat has about 800lbs of added weight from all of the mods and
            extras (the complete water system alone adds ~400lbs). The GPS
            showed only around 19mph with my father-in-law and all of our fishing
            gear. I was hoping for more.......maybe I'll go for the DF140 after
            all!

            Also, Pheonix is only about 6hours away from the west coast, and that
            would be great for weekend trips. You should join one of the local
            yacht clubs for Macgregors (like the VYCSD) that will gladly educate
            you on the region. Catalina, for example, is great fun!

            Rdaalen,

            Thanks for the complement! But, I won't be selling it for quite a
            while. Sorry! :>) Although, there is an interesting 26X on eBay now
            that I believe is a great value when considering it's current price.

            ViewItem&rd=1&item=4538792925&category=63730&sspagename=WDVW

            -Chris
            "GATO DIABLO"

            --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, mike fortuna
            <angelwilliams69@y...> wrote:
            > Hey,
            > sounds great. Send photos. How fast is the boat with
            > the 50 hp compared to a 40? I heard rumors that a 50
            > hp can approach 30 mph?
            > But then the brochure says a 40 hp can reach 24 mph.
            > They don't mention that it's a totally empty boat with
            > a 70 pound skipper.
            >
            > We're going to be moving from Michigan to Phoenix area
            > in May and tentatively plan to bring the boat. So far
            > I didn't find any Mac 19 owners in the area so I
            > didn't really consider selling mine here and buying
            > another out there. Will miss the Great Lakes but
            > having 12 months of sailing on the various lakes and
            > reservoirs nearby may help to make up for it. Mike
            >

            > --- rdaalen <jillenrob@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Now that's a nice looking boat with intersting mods.
            > > Selling by any
            > > chance :-)!

          • Garmon, Tom
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
              I'd watch it on that 26X listed on EBay! if you look carefully, it says that it's a '93. They didn't make X's in '93. There's also two different boats in the group of pictures below. One looks like a  26S and the other is the X!

              Nice mods on the '19! What year is it ..... a '93?

              Tom
              '92 19'
              Brunswick, Ohio

              <angelwilliams69@y...> wrote:
              > Hey,
              > sounds great.
              Send photos.  How fast is the boat with
              > the 50 hp compared to a
              40?  I heard rumors that a 50
              > hp can approach 30 mph?
              > But
              then the brochure says a 40 hp can reach 24 mph.
              > They don't mention
              that it's a totally empty boat with
              > a 70 pound skipper.
              >
              > We're going to be moving from Michigan to Phoenix area
              > in May
              and tentatively plan to bring the boat.  So far
              > I didn't find any
              Mac 19 owners in the area so I
              > didn't really consider selling mine here
              and buying
              > another out there.  Will miss the Great Lakes
              but
              > having 12 months of sailing on the various lakes and

              reservoirs nearby may help to make up for it.  Mike

              > --- rdaalen <jillenrob@h...> wrote:

              Now that's a nice looking boat with intersting mods.
              > > Selling by
              any
              > > chance :-)!

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                Tom,

                Thanks, my boat is a 1992 model and one of the first built.

                The "X" is a 1995 model as confirmed by the HIN# on the
                www.macgregorsailors.com website. The current sellers obviously
                don't know what they have, making it a good deal opportunity. If I
                have some time, I might run up there to check it out. Also the 2nd
                and 3rd pictures on the right are a 26X that has been painted grey in
                the top step areas. I use to have a 26X, and it looks consistent to
                me.

                -Chris
                "GATO DIABLO"

                --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Garmon, Tom"
                <tomg@w...> wrote:
                > I'd watch it on that 26X listed on EBay! if you look carefully, it
                says
                > that it's a '93. They didn't make X's in '93. There's also two
                different
                > boats in the group of pictures below. One looks like a 26S and the
                > other is the X!
                >
                > Nice mods on the '19! What year is it ..... a '93?
                >
                > Tom
                > '92 19'
                > Brunswick, Ohio
                >
                > ________________________________

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rohrhd/M=298184.6018725.7038619.300117
                6/

                D=groups/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1112373635/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*h
                tt
                > p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>
                >
                > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=group
                > s/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=489556863>

                subject=Unsubsc
                > ribe>

              • eo_ant
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                  Your modifications look nice. I'm wondering about a few of the mods
                  you made.

                  Did you move the motor back to give you better steering while under
                  power or was there another reason? Has moving the weight of the motor
                  further back hurt the sailing performance?

                  To put the hatch in the foredeck where you did you must have removed a
                  bunch of the foam floatation under the foredeck, right? Did you also
                  remove the foam under the v-berth in the bow to put in your water
                  tank? Where did you find room for a waste water tank?

                  Running your centerboard line up through the cockpit floor seems like
                  it would require a hole that could let water down into the cabin from
                  the cockpit or did you find a way to do so and still keep the cockpit
                  floor sealed?

                  Thanks,
                  Eric

                  wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I went ahead and posted some pictures on my refurbished/upgraded
                  > Mac19, "GATO DIABLO". If interested, look into the apply named
                  > folder. Also, no interior pictures yet as work still needs to be
                  > done there. Once done with that, my last focus will be the sailing
                  > characteristics.
                  >
                  > Current modification include (to my best of memory!): Honda 50hp
                  > outboard with modified tiller controls, 15" outboard setback spacer
                  > with 10degrees of motor tilt, modified rudder steering mechanism,
                  > 32gal pressure H2O, hose washdown, relocated/oversized ballast valve,
                  > Sealand Traveler marine head with pump-out and macerator, dual bilge
                  > pumps, cabin extensively modified and "opened up", in dash CD/AM/FM
                  > with inside+outside speakers, porthole window into cockpit, compass
                  > in cockpit, four stainless steel cleats, centerboard cable into
                  > cockpit, dual 9gal gas tanks, large hatch in bow area, stainless
                  > steel B-B-Q, DSC VHF with relocated 8' antenna, relocated
                  > anchor/motoring light, dual aft swim platforms, fortified transom
                  > with built in anchor locker, voltmeter and outboard H2O pressure
                  > guages, fishfinder, GPS, TV, Westmarine automatic battery combiner, 3
                  > interior lights, new storage compartments, 3 batteries with a manual
                  > battery switch, charging terminals, 2 inside and outside power
                  > outlets, custom dinette table, etc.-etc.
                  >
                  > Trailer stuff includes: rust converter coating, two coats of
                  > polyurethane paint, , added a third set of boat support bunks at bow,
                  > rebuilt bearings, strengthened axle, LED lights, guide bunks, guide
                  > posts, spare tire holder with spare.
                  >
                  > So, after two years of work, I was so-SO glad to be able to be back
                  > on the water again. I took my father-in -law out fishing off of
                  > Huntington Beach last weekend as an example. Catalina is next!
                  >
                  > Feel free to inquire about some of these upgrades......
                  >
                  > -Chris
                  > "GATO DIABLO"
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
                    Eric,

                    I moved the motor back to allow better steering, make more room in
                    the cockpit for the anchor locker and to have more optimal placement
                    of the outboard for motoring efficiency (ie height, trim and setback
                    considerations). I haven't sail her yet, but it should have a small
                    impact on the sailing performance. To counter this, I plan on
                    installing a bowsprint to move the headsail attachment point forward
                    a bit.

                    I did remove the floatation foam/containment in the upper V-berth
                    area and moved all of it into other locations. There wasn't any foam
                    under the V-berth in my boat so alot of it went there along with the
                    Plastimo water tank. I have also added more floatation in other areas
                    of the boat to counter the extra weight of my modifications.

                    The centerboard line actually is in a flexible tube that runs from
                    the aft centerboard trunk area to the cockpit floor so that no water
                    enters the boat. The line actually comes up through the cockpit
                    floor in a rail fitting that's mounted updside down. It does create
                    a restriction in accessing the rear berth, but I felt the need for
                    greater centerboard control that I had with my 26X.

                    -Chris
                    "GATO DIABLO"
                    1992 Mac19

                    --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "eo_ant" <eric@h...>
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > > guages, fishfinder, GPS, TV, Westmarine automatic battery
                    combiner, 3
                    > > interior lights, new storage compartments, 3 batteries with a
                    manual
                    > > battery switch, charging terminals, 2 inside and outside power
                    > > outlets, custom dinette table, etc.-etc.
                    > >
                    > > Trailer stuff includes: rust converter coating, two coats of
                    > > polyurethane paint, , added a third set of boat support bunks at
                    bow,
                    > > rebuilt bearings, strengthened axle, LED lights, guide bunks,
                    guide
                    > > posts, spare tire holder with spare.
                    > >
                    > > So, after two years of work, I was so-SO glad to be able to be
                    back
                    > > on the water again. I took my father-in -law out fishing off of
                    > > Huntington Beach last weekend as an example. Catalina is next!
                    > >
                    > > Feel free to inquire about some of these upgrades......

                  • eo_ant
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
                      Chris,

                      Thanks for your reply. Interesting mod for the centerboard. I'm
                      surpised MacGregor didn't run the line up on deck. You must had
                      drilled a new hole in the CB trunk further aft and a new hole in the
                      CB. Did you think about and investigate somehow running it up the mast
                      compression post? That seems like the best route to deck, but don't
                      know what would have to be done in CB trunk to make it work.

                      Eric

                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > guages, fishfinder, GPS, TV, Westmarine automatic battery
                      > combiner, 3
                      > > > interior lights, new storage compartments, 3 batteries with a
                      > manual
                      > > > battery switch, charging terminals, 2 inside and outside power
                      > > > outlets, custom dinette table, etc.-etc.
                      > > >
                      > > > Trailer stuff includes: rust converter coating, two coats of
                      > > > polyurethane paint, , added a third set of boat support bunks at
                      > bow,
                      > > > rebuilt bearings, strengthened axle, LED lights, guide bunks,
                      > guide
                      > > > posts, spare tire holder with spare.
                      > > >
                      > > > So, after two years of work, I was so-SO glad to be able to be
                      > back
                      > > > on the water again. I took my father-in -law out fishing off of
                      > > > Huntington Beach last weekend as an example. Catalina is next!
                      > > >
                      > > > Feel free to inquire about some of these upgrades......

                    • Chris
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
                        I looked into doing the line up the mast compression post like
                        the "X" boats. I decided not to do it as the spot where the Mac19
                        compression post is more forward relative to the centerboard pivot
                        bolt than it is in the 26X. This would not, IMO, provide enough
                        leverage to lift the centerboard up when the boat was out of the
                        water. Also, the Mac19 centerboard is more heavier than the 26X's.
                        Lastly, I was worried about the integrity of the insertion location
                        into the centerboard trunk. You actually need to go into the ballast
                        tank and back out again for this mod to work anywhere along the
                        centerboard trunk. The location I chose allowed me to drill the
                        right size holes, tap them with the same threads as the thru-hull I
                        used, and then finally having good access to seal everything up well
                        with 3M 5200 and "GOOP" as a final topcoat seal.

                        The problem I have now is the centerboard doesn't drop with authority
                        out of its trunk when in the water. I think this has to do with some
                        of the significant repairs I had to do on it as the prior
                        owner "cranked" it on the trailer axle when they were trying to
                        launch the boat. I upgraded to a 1/2" centerboard pivot bolt and I
                        might not have drilled the enlarged hole big enough to allow
                        some "play" in order for the canterboard to drop well. Also, the
                        boneheads at Macgregor didn't drill the centerboard bolt holes into
                        the centerboard trunk even/square so that provides some binding
                        issues.

                        I plan on drilling some more airholes into the centerboard to allow
                        the trapped air to escape. Also, I will put some lead into the aft
                        section of the centerboard to provide more downward force to lower
                        the centerboard. (anybody have some fishing sinkers they don't need!)