M19 Evaluation

  • eo_ant
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16 3:54 PM
      Hello,

      I'm considering buying a M19. In its favor are small size (can store
      in my garage), low cost (about a third of the cost of a 26X),
      reasonably nice cockpit, and easy to tow.

      But I have some concerns about the suitability of the boat. From what
      I can gather it does not sail particularly well especially in light
      wind conditions. The cabin, while large for a 19' boat seems cramped
      and perhaps not as well laid out as it could be. Don't like having the
      centerboard trunk dividing up the foot well area. Don't particularly
      like the location of the stove. The covers over the storage area under
      the seats are small giving poor access to the storage area.

      I would appreciate hearing some honest comments on their M19's from
      owners. Particularly the sailing ability and how they have found the
      cabin on overnight trips.

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17 3:59 PM
        You'll probably receive some other replies but I agree
        with your cost vs. benefit analysis. I sailed a 26x
        for one season and liked the extra space and headroom
        but didn't like towing it, even behind an Explorer and
        didn't like how it got blown around too easily in
        tight marinas.

        For more than 2 people the cabin is cramped for
        anything other than an overnight but has more sleeping
        space than many boats 10' longer. If you can deal
        with not having stand up headroom, it's certainly more
        comfortable than many tents. The enclosed head is
        great even though it's not spacious for a really tall
        or fat person. I never found the smaller storage
        covers a problem but there are some innovative ways to
        store things like hanging a shoe storage bag on the
        door, shelves, etc.

        The centerboard inside the boat is a slight
        inconvenience but the tradeoff is being able to launch
        the boat with 10" of water. Great when water levels
        drop making ramp access a problem. The easy
        maintainance interior is great.

        As far as sailing in really light air, a big jib and
        or spinnaker helps. It still doesn't tack that well
        in light air so it takes more skill but in really
        light air, there's always the outboard that gets you
        up on a plane, going 20 mph to avoid a storm or just
        get back to shore when you're tired. For the price,
        it's a hard package to beat.

        Our files section lists some places on the web where
        you might find one, Mac dealers may have one for
        someone who wants to trade up to a bigger boat and
        check our message section for people selling theirs.

        Where are you located? Good luck. Mike