Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Forgot the ballast ports (Duh!)

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2002
      Actually the water squirted out of the air vent with
      the heavy load(s). I do not have any measureable
      leaks if I close both ballast ports, water and vent.
      I would just like to know if I am taking on water. If
      I cannot I figure out why, then that is why we have
      40HP motors to take us home.

      Happy sails,
      Ron

    • Angelo Michelotti
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2003
        Ron,
        Why not just install automatic bilge pumps or two(one one each side
        of the keel stiffener so it drains both sides) and you can always
        connect some kind of noisemaker or flashing light to the pump to let
        you know it's working. Adam in Baltimore, in our group, has
        successfully installed the pumps if you want details. I've used them
        on other boats I've owned. I was planning to do the same this summer
        before going on any long cruises just in case anything leaks, by
        accident or otherwise. I believe he bought his at Walmart for less
        than the typical marine supply store price.

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Buckles"

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2003
          Yes, that would be the way to go. But I still have
          not talked myself into doing it yet.

          --- Angelo Michelotti <angelwilliams69@...>

        • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7, 2003
            It does add peace of mind to know they are working, though I find myself
            watching for the telltales that they are pumping when the bow goes up.

            A 500 Gallon pump on port is T'd into the motorwell drain and a 300 gallon
            pump on starboard is connected to a hose that exits with the motor wires/oil
            hose and takes a bend to face backwards. The starboard pump rarely needs to
            come on. The port pump often comes on when I turn on the engine and the bow
            comes up. BTW, the pumps are mounted on an aluminum plate with a float
            switch for each so I didn't have to drill into the boat bottom. When they
            were mounted I simply dropped them in the bilge wells in the back and
            connected the short wires to a long wire to the battery with screw caps.
            Filled the caps with 5200 to keep water out and tried to use plastic ties to
            hang the mess on top of the spine from a tiny hole already in the edge of
            the well cover lip. Seems to have worked and I have not shorted the battery
            yet. I'll have to get some pictures.

            MMM