Re: 1993 Mac

  • cvosailor
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 22, 2004
      Ron,

      I posted a picture in the "Wings" album. If you make it full size,
      you can see the details. I only put one in because the group is
      approaching the photo storage limit. I can e-mail you more photos if
      you want them.

      The only change I would make is to move the spinlocks a little
      farther forward. The genoa sheet just touches them. I have to be
      careful so that I don't drop a halyard unexpectedly.

      Tim

      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Ron Buckles
      <ronbuckles@y...> wrote:
      > Tim,
      >
      > How about some pictures of how you run the halyards
      > back.
      >
      > Thanks for the info.
      > Ron
    • Garmon, Tom
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 23, 2004
        Message
        Tim,

        If you've got a scanner, try scanning the article and posting it on the Mac 19 website. but I'd be glad to give you a mailing address if you want it. I'm going to have to dig up my serial #, but you may be right! According to Herman Wadler's web site: http://www.wadler.org/Boating/hullid.htm you've got the 108th Mac 19 made, built in November of '92. Yours is the only one that I've ever seen with a red hull. I'd like to see if a couple of things on your boat match mine. My 19' has no winches, only camcleats for the jib. also, the centerboard cable/rope is rigged up underneath the fiberglass for the v berth. The v berth deck is flat. I've noticed that the later 19's have a molded in 'slot' under the v berth cushion that the pulleys for the centerboard cable are in. easy access to all parts of the centerboard system. Which one do you have?

        Tom
        '92 19'
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 5, 2004
          Tom,

          I finally got the article scanned. It's in the files labeled Mac 19
          review0001, Pacific Yachting 9/92.

          My boat has the same V berth and centerboard rigging as yours. I do
          have winches.

          My hull number is on a small brass tag on the starboard outside
          transom and also on another brass tag on the outer aft wall of the
          head visible if you were in the aft berth looking forward.

          I've noticed from photos and reading that our early boats have some
          other differences:
          - Our access ports in the floor to the ballast tank are large
          threaded, easily removed-by-hand plugs. Later boats have a cap that
          is held on with phillips head screws.
          - The engine well drain is about a 1/4 inch hole that empties
          through the transom. Later boats have a larger hole that exits out
          the bottom of the engine well and empties via a thru hull fitting.

          I still haven't seen another Mac 19 besides mine. Does anyone know
          how many were built?

          <tomg@w...> wrote:
          > Tim,
          >
          > If you've got a scanner, try scanning the article and posting it
          on the
          > Mac 19 website. but I'd be glad to give you a mailing address if
          you
          > want it. I'm going to have to dig up my serial #, but you may be
          right!
          > According to Herman Wadler's web site:
          > <http://www.wadler.org/Boating/hullid.htm>
          > http://www.wadler.org/Boating/hullid.htm you've got the 108th Mac
          19
          > made, built in November of '92. Yours is the only one that I've
          ever
          > seen with a red hull. I'd like to see if a couple of things on
          your boat
          > match mine. My 19' has no winches, only camcleats for the jib.
          also, the
          > centerboard cable/rope is rigged up underneath the fiberglass for
          the v
          > berth. The v berth deck is flat. I've noticed that the later 19's
          have a
          > molded in 'slot' under the v berth cushion that the pulleys for the
          > centerboard cable are in. easy access to all parts of the
          centerboard
          > system. Which one do you have?
          >
          > Tom
          > '92 19'

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1299sol16/M=298184.5285298.6392945.30011
          76/

          D=groups/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1095874555/A=2352667/R=0/SIG=11t4iivpf/*
          htt
          > p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185359&partid=5285298> click
          here

          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
          M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
          > s/S=:HM/A=2352667/rand=490854198>
          >

          > _____
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          subject=Unsubsc

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 6, 2004
            As I recall from some early discussions, there were
            over 1000 19's built. If he hasn't posted a note
            here soon, there's a fellow in VA who wants to buy one
            if anyone is interested in selling. He said the one
            in CA was over his budget when he added shipping. Let
            me know and I'll forward his email. Mike

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Garmon, Tom
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 6, 2004
              Tim,

              Wow! Thanks for the article. That's the rig that my boat originally came with, a 3 wire standing rigging system with no spreaders and a small jib. Although the sails are white.This past summer I was working on the boat and added spreaders, upper shrouds, and a backstay, I never had a chance to put the main up because I had sent it out to be reconditioned. Now looking at the picture I can't use the backstay with my fully battened main because the sail shape will interfere with it! I think that I'll just use the aft bolt on the gooseneck to mount a pulley for a topping lift.

              Note that the boat in the article has no winches.

              While I was working on it I had noticed a very strange setup for mounting the mast to the deck, it had only three bolts protruding from the deck, no u-shaped mast base, and nothing on the mast to mount it to! I ended up buying a 2 part mast base from Macgregorparts.com (this was when you were still able to get a hold of the owner) and mounted the mast that way. I now realize, from reading the article, that those three bolts were part of the rotating mast base!

              The access ports to the ballast tank on my boat were really messed up. The P.O. had tried to seal it with some kind of caulk. What a mess! I managed to clean the caulk out and figure out that the plugs were a Sea Dog 4" screw-in access plug. I bought two new ones to put in.

              I have the boat in a garage away from my house, but I'll stop by on my way home from work to get the ser.#

              Tom
              '92 19'

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 7, 2004
                Tim,

                I made a mistake on you're ser#. Your boat was actually built in Nov. of 1991. The # breaks down as follows:

                MAC   Manufacturer (Macgregor)
                P        Powersailer
                0108   Serial #
                K        Month of Manufacture (K=November)
                1        Last digit of manufacturing year (1991)
                92      Model Year

                My Ser# is MACP0138B292. Which makes it out to be the 138th 19', built in Feb. of  '92.

                Thanks again for the article.

                Tom
                '92 19'
                (Gotta think of a name)

                href="http://www.wadler.org/Boating/hullid.htm">http://www.wadler.org/Boating/hullid.htm>

                http://www.wadler.org/Boating/hullid.htm you've got the 108th Mac
                19
                > made, built in November of '92. Yours is
                the only one that I've
                ever
                > seen with a red hull. I'd like to see if
                a couple of things on
                your boat
                > match mine. My 19' has no winches,
                only camcleats for the jib.
                also, the
                > centerboard cable/rope is
                rigged up underneath the fiberglass for
                the v
                > berth. The v berth
                deck is flat. I've noticed that the later 19's
                have a
                > molded in
                'slot' under the v berth cushion that the pulleys for the
                > centerboard
                cable are in. easy access to all parts of the
                centerboard
                > system.
                Which one do you have?

                href="http://home.comcast.net/~mike_matthews/mac19">http://home.comcast.net/~mike_matthews/mac19

                href="http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?">http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?

                M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group

                s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=139580136>

                > >   _____
                > >
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                subject=Unsubsc
                > > ribe>
                > >

                > > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is
                subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                of
                > > Service <
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups
                Sponsor

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1299sol16/M=298184.5285298.6392945.30011
                76/

                D=groups/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1095874555/A=2352667/R=0/SIG=11t4iivpf/*
                htt

                p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185359&partid=5285298> click
                here

                > <
                href="http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?">http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group

                s/S=:HM/A=2352667/rand=490854198>

                >   _____
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups
                Links