Re: 1993 Mac

  • cvosailor
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 21, 2004
      Tom,

      I'd be happy to mail you a copy of my copy. The photos might not be
      real clear. If you want a copy from the original article you can
      call Pacific Yachting at (604) 606-4644. Their website is
      www.pacificyachting.com if you want to look at their article
      archives. They are based in Vancouver, Canada and were very helpful.
      I was pleasantly suprised that their reprint prices are in Canadian
      dollars!

      What is your hull number? Mine is MACP 0108 K192. See the Wings
      folder in the photos. I'm told the red hull was only available in
      the first year of production.

      Tim

      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Garmon, Tom"
      <tomg@w...> wrote:
      > Tim,
      >
      > Do you have a copy of that article from Pacific Yachting? I've been
      > looking for that! I have the same sails that you talk about, full
      batten
      > main and a 3/4 rig. It even had dual tillers! I'll post a picture
      of
      > that on the mac 19 site I've changed it to a full rig, bought a
      new full
      > jib from Minnies Yacht Surplus, and had the main reconditioned at
      > Sailcare. I haven't put the boat in the water yet I just finished
      the
      > standing rigging and have been trying to find time to put the
      sails up.
      > The article would be of great help!
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Tom
      >
      > '92 19' (yes it's a '92, one of the first made!)

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129dsrlfp/M=298184.5285298.6392945.30011
      76/

      D=groups/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1095795281/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*
      htt
      > p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click
      here

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
      > s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=139580136>
      >

      > _____
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      subject=Unsubsc
      > ribe>

    • cvosailor
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 22, 2004
        Ron,

        I posted a picture in the "Wings" album. If you make it full size,
        you can see the details. I only put one in because the group is
        approaching the photo storage limit. I can e-mail you more photos if
        you want them.

        The only change I would make is to move the spinlocks a little
        farther forward. The genoa sheet just touches them. I have to be
        careful so that I don't drop a halyard unexpectedly.

        Tim

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Ron Buckles
        <ronbuckles@y...> wrote:
        > Tim,
        >
        > How about some pictures of how you run the halyards
        > back.
        >
        > Thanks for the info.
        > Ron
      • Garmon, Tom
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 23, 2004
          Message
          Tim,

          If you've got a scanner, try scanning the article and posting it on the Mac 19 website. but I'd be glad to give you a mailing address if you want it. I'm going to have to dig up my serial #, but you may be right! According to Herman Wadler's web site: http://www.wadler.org/Boating/hullid.htm you've got the 108th Mac 19 made, built in November of '92. Yours is the only one that I've ever seen with a red hull. I'd like to see if a couple of things on your boat match mine. My 19' has no winches, only camcleats for the jib. also, the centerboard cable/rope is rigged up underneath the fiberglass for the v berth. The v berth deck is flat. I've noticed that the later 19's have a molded in 'slot' under the v berth cushion that the pulleys for the centerboard cable are in. easy access to all parts of the centerboard system. Which one do you have?

          Tom
          '92 19'

          <tomg@w...> wrote:
          > Tim,

          > Do you have a copy of that article from Pacific Yachting? I've been
          > looking for that! I have the same sails that you talk about, full
          batten
          > main and a 3/4 rig. It even had dual tillers! I'll post a picture
          of
          > that on the mac 19 site I've changed it to a full rig, bought a
          new full
          > jib from Minnies Yacht Surplus, and had the main reconditioned at
          > Sailcare. I haven't put the boat in the water yet I just finished
          the
          > standing rigging and have been trying to find time to put the
          sails up.
          > The article would be of great help!

          > Thanks

          > Tom

          > '92 19' (yes it's a '92, one of the first made!)

          subject=Unsubsc
          > ribe>

        • cvosailor
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 5, 2004
            Tom,

            I finally got the article scanned. It's in the files labeled Mac 19
            review0001, Pacific Yachting 9/92.

            My boat has the same V berth and centerboard rigging as yours. I do
            have winches.

            My hull number is on a small brass tag on the starboard outside
            transom and also on another brass tag on the outer aft wall of the
            head visible if you were in the aft berth looking forward.

            I've noticed from photos and reading that our early boats have some
            other differences:
            - Our access ports in the floor to the ballast tank are large
            threaded, easily removed-by-hand plugs. Later boats have a cap that
            is held on with phillips head screws.
            - The engine well drain is about a 1/4 inch hole that empties
            through the transom. Later boats have a larger hole that exits out
            the bottom of the engine well and empties via a thru hull fitting.

            I still haven't seen another Mac 19 besides mine. Does anyone know
            how many were built?

            <tomg@w...> wrote:
            > Tim,
            >
            > If you've got a scanner, try scanning the article and posting it
            on the
            > Mac 19 website. but I'd be glad to give you a mailing address if
            you
            > want it. I'm going to have to dig up my serial #, but you may be
            right!
            > According to Herman Wadler's web site:
            > <http://www.wadler.org/Boating/hullid.htm>
            > http://www.wadler.org/Boating/hullid.htm you've got the 108th Mac
            19
            > made, built in November of '92. Yours is the only one that I've
            ever
            > seen with a red hull. I'd like to see if a couple of things on
            your boat
            > match mine. My 19' has no winches, only camcleats for the jib.
            also, the
            > centerboard cable/rope is rigged up underneath the fiberglass for
            the v
            > berth. The v berth deck is flat. I've noticed that the later 19's
            have a
            > molded in 'slot' under the v berth cushion that the pulleys for the
            > centerboard cable are in. easy access to all parts of the
            centerboard
            > system. Which one do you have?
            >
            > Tom
            > '92 19'

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1299sol16/M=298184.5285298.6392945.30011
            76/

            D=groups/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1095874555/A=2352667/R=0/SIG=11t4iivpf/*
            htt
            > p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185359&partid=5285298> click
            here

            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
            > s/S=:HM/A=2352667/rand=490854198>
            >

            > _____
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            subject=Unsubsc

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 6, 2004
              As I recall from some early discussions, there were
              over 1000 19's built. If he hasn't posted a note
              here soon, there's a fellow in VA who wants to buy one
              if anyone is interested in selling. He said the one
              in CA was over his budget when he added shipping. Let
              me know and I'll forward his email. Mike

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Garmon, Tom
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 6, 2004
                Tim,

                Wow! Thanks for the article. That's the rig that my boat originally came with, a 3 wire standing rigging system with no spreaders and a small jib. Although the sails are white.This past summer I was working on the boat and added spreaders, upper shrouds, and a backstay, I never had a chance to put the main up because I had sent it out to be reconditioned. Now looking at the picture I can't use the backstay with my fully battened main because the sail shape will interfere with it! I think that I'll just use the aft bolt on the gooseneck to mount a pulley for a topping lift.

                Note that the boat in the article has no winches.

                While I was working on it I had noticed a very strange setup for mounting the mast to the deck, it had only three bolts protruding from the deck, no u-shaped mast base, and nothing on the mast to mount it to! I ended up buying a 2 part mast base from Macgregorparts.com (this was when you were still able to get a hold of the owner) and mounted the mast that way. I now realize, from reading the article, that those three bolts were part of the rotating mast base!

                The access ports to the ballast tank on my boat were really messed up. The P.O. had tried to seal it with some kind of caulk. What a mess! I managed to clean the caulk out and figure out that the plugs were a Sea Dog 4" screw-in access plug. I bought two new ones to put in.

                I have the boat in a garage away from my house, but I'll stop by on my way home from work to get the ser.#

                Tom
                '92 19'

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 7, 2004
                  Tim,

                  I made a mistake on you're ser#. Your boat was actually built in Nov. of 1991. The # breaks down as follows:

                  MAC   Manufacturer (Macgregor)
                  P        Powersailer
                  0108   Serial #
                  K        Month of Manufacture (K=November)
                  1        Last digit of manufacturing year (1991)
                  92      Model Year

                  My Ser# is MACP0138B292. Which makes it out to be the 138th 19', built in Feb. of  '92.

                  Thanks again for the article.

                  Tom
                  '92 19'
                  (Gotta think of a name)

                  href="http://www.wadler.org/Boating/hullid.htm">http://www.wadler.org/Boating/hullid.htm>

                  http://www.wadler.org/Boating/hullid.htm you've got the 108th Mac
                  19
                  > made, built in November of '92. Yours is
                  the only one that I've
                  ever
                  > seen with a red hull. I'd like to see if
                  a couple of things on
                  your boat
                  > match mine. My 19' has no winches,
                  only camcleats for the jib.
                  also, the
                  > centerboard cable/rope is
                  rigged up underneath the fiberglass for
                  the v
                  > berth. The v berth
                  deck is flat. I've noticed that the later 19's
                  have a
                  > molded in
                  'slot' under the v berth cushion that the pulleys for the
                  > centerboard
                  cable are in. easy access to all parts of the
                  centerboard
                  > system.
                  Which one do you have?

                  href="http://home.comcast.net/~mike_matthews/mac19">http://home.comcast.net/~mike_matthews/mac19

                  href="http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?">http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?

                  M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group

                  s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=139580136>

                  > >   _____
                  > >
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                  subject=Unsubsc
                  > > ribe>
                  > >

                  > > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is
                  subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                  of
                  > > Service <
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups
                  Sponsor

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1299sol16/M=298184.5285298.6392945.30011
                  76/

                  D=groups/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1095874555/A=2352667/R=0/SIG=11t4iivpf/*
                  htt

                  p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185359&partid=5285298> click
                  here

                  > <
                  href="http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?">http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                  M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group

                  s/S=:HM/A=2352667/rand=490854198>

                  >   _____
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups
                  Links