opportunity to keep boat in water, need advice....

  • mandolin2k
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hello to all,
      I have not been very active this summer season, but have followed
      everyones posts nevertheless. I trust and hope all of the group is
      having a fine sailing season on Mac 19's, here's to sunny skies and
      fair winds.

      I have spent most of the summer looking at, and now just yesterday,
      closing on a new home for me in Fernandina Beach, FL. I am very
      excited to be moving to such a beautiful island, my home is located
      near the northern tip of the island, and I just found out the other
      day that a marina, Tiger Point, on Eagans Creek, has one space left
      at the dock that will accomodate my Mac 19 at an unbelievable low
      price per month. The marina is about a thousand yards from my house,
      and I am pleased with the thought of having the boat in the water,
      ready for use at a moments notice to enjoy the Amelia River, ICW, and
      Cumberland Sound, not to mention the ocean, a couple of miles away.

      Obviously, if I intend to keep the boat in the water, it will need
      anti-fouling paint on the bottom, does anyone have any
      recommendations? TIA
      Jeff Pierson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        Check with the local marine stores to see what they
        recommend and what's on sale. At some outrageous
        price they can sell you bottom paint which is basicaly
        regular paint with finely ground copper powder you add
        to it (or it's already added and you have to stir
        vigorously before applying). Some of the best
        antifouling compounds have probably been declared
        envioronmentally unsound but I've heard numerous
        recommendations for finely ground hot pepper added to
        regular paint about 1 part pepper to 5 to 10 parts
        paint. In fact in some warm water situations it
        appears to work better than regular anit-fouling
        paint. Not in Lousiana where the barnacles are Cajun
        (joke)
        One of the sail groups had a paint chemist who agreed
        that regular house paint would work just as well as
        expensive marine paint after extensive
        experimentation. Preparation of the surface is
        probably more important than the type of paint. If
        it's not clean and dry you need to do some fine
        sanding after a good cleaning if you want the paint
        to stick well. Also, make sure you rinse off any salt
        water from metal parts, cover others, use zinc
        anti-oxidant blocks, ,etc.. to prevent corrosion if
        your motor will be in the water very much. Good
        luck.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail