Swing keel control

  • cvosailor
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2004
      I'm learning that my Mac 19 sails better if I change the depth of
      the keel for different wind conditions: Sailing downwind - keel up,
      crosswind - keel down, main sail only - keel partway down, etc.

      To move and secure the keel in a new position, I have to climb down
      inside. Additionaly, it is a hard pull to go from keel down to keel
      up. (the bolt that my cable curves around does not have a pulley or
      pulley bracket on it. Looks like it never has.)

      Has anyone made a rope extension and alternate means of securing the
      keel control rope? I'd like to try sailing singlehanded and I can't
      see myself running below and back with no hand on the tiller.

      On a different note, yesterday I went aboard a 2005 Mac 26M. They
      have changed the inside on the 2005 model a lot. It is much more
      like the inside of the 26X model. You can control the daggerboard
      from the cockpit. It is a beautiful boat. Think I'll go buy a
      lottery ticket.

      Tim
      "Wings"
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2004
        Tim,
        while you're waiting for a good design on the CD rope,
        you can always use a "Tiller Tamer". They make a
        relatively expensive device( $40 or so) to hold your
        tiller in place, or you can just tie a piece of line
        to one side of the boat and wrap it around the tiller
        a few times before you secure it to the other side of
        the boat. Works great for awhile while you take a
        break. If it isn't obvious how it works, let me know
        and I probably have photos I can post. Mike ---
        cvosailor <timmaryg74@...> wrote:

        > I'm learning that my Mac 19 sails better if I change
        > the depth of
        > the keel for different wind conditions: Sailing
        > downwind - keel up,
        > crosswind - keel down, main sail only - keel partway
        > down, etc.
        >
        > To move and secure the keel in a new position, I
        > have to climb down
        > inside. Additionaly, it is a hard pull to go from
        > keel down to keel
        > up. (the bolt that my cable curves around does not
        > have a pulley or
        > pulley bracket on it. Looks like it never has.)
        >
        > Has anyone made a rope extension and alternate means
        > of securing the
        > keel control rope? I'd like to try sailing
        > singlehanded and I can't
        > see myself running below and back with no hand on
        > the tiller.
        >
        > On a different note, yesterday I went aboard a 2005
        > Mac 26M. They
        > have changed the inside on the 2005 model a lot. It
        > is much more
        > like the inside of the 26X model. You can control
        > the daggerboard
        > from the cockpit. It is a beautiful boat. Think I'll
        > go buy a
        > lottery ticket.
        >
        > Tim
        > "Wings"

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
          Hey Tim,

          I too want cockpit control of my centerboard, I guess I'm spoiled
          from my 26X.

          The way I plan on modifying is to put a small thru-hull in the
          top-aft section of
          the centerboard trunk at a 45-degree angle, pointing towards the
          cockpit. I
          will then install a 1" 45-dgree rail fitting upside down in the
          cockpit with the
          rail-fitting part inside the boat, pointing towards the centerboard
          truck. I will
          then add some brass tubing from the thru-hull so that it's about 6-8"
          above the
          centerboard trunk to ensure against leaks. Lastly, I will connect
          the two with
          1" sanitation tubing/hose clamps and use the exsting cable, but
          attaching to
          the aft end of the centerboard. This mod will provide more leverage
          to raise
          the centerboard as well.

          I was going to use solid brass tubing from top to bottom originally,
          but I fear
          that the Mac19 flexes too much and might put undo strain on the
          centerboard
          trunk. I have all the parts and I'm ready to go with the
          installation. I just need
          to finish with my Sealand Traveler installation (full marine head w/
          holding
          tank, pump-out and onboard thru-hull discharge using a macerator) and
          pressure water system. As you can see, I'm in "plumbing" mode right
          now. :>)
          And no matter how hard I try to be neat and clean, I'm always covered
          with 3M
          5200 by the end of the day!

          My only concern with this mod is how the ballast tank is situated
          next to the
          centerboard trunk. Does anyone know if the whole centerboard trunk
          is the
          wall of the ballast tank? Or is is separate, especially at the aft
          portion?

          Thanks,
          Chris

          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "cvosailor" <

        • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
            Had the same problem a couple weekends ago. Forgot I have to turn INTO the
            WIND. Then it's doable. A double pulley mod would help a lot.

            MMM