Mac 19 wanted and a few questions

  • racephoto@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 24 11:43 AM
      Hello all,
      Anyone know of a Mac 19 in the NYC area for sale? Or even one I
      could just go look at? I looked at a 26X and I am thinking a 19
      would be sufficient for my needs, but the only ones I have seen for
      sale are a few hundred miles away. I'd hate to travel 400 miles
      and discover the boat is too small.

      Also, how difficult is the handling at slow speeds? I have read
      once or twice that it is not maneuverable due to limited motor
      movement. I have one boat now that is almost impossible to dock and
      don't really need two. :-)

      Thanks,
      Gail
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 25 5:47 AM
        Gail,

        Yes the Mac 19 has limited motor movement. But most
        sailboats have not motor movement at all. If you have
        the centerboard down and just enough speed so the
        rudders will bite, the Mac 19 will turn quickly.

        Ron

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/A1TolB/TM

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 25 8:28 AM
          Gail,
          check our files section. There is a list of internet
          sites with boats for sale. Some are very specialized
          by type of boat or geographic location but there are
          dozens more that may list the 19.

          Also, I'll post the site in the files, or go to:
          www.Macgregorowners.com and look for owners near you.
          Most will be friendly and more than willing to show
          you the boat and probably take you out for a demo sail
          if you have any time flexibility. Check the old
          message list on our site. There may be some for sale
          near you and you'll see lots of helpful hints, mods,
          etc. Some of us are still working on a design for
          linking the motor and rudder together to make steering
          faster and easier.

          In addition, when you put a 40 hp motor on a 19, it's
          MUCH more able to maneuver than the typical sailboat
          that size with a puny 4hp, which is all most can
          utilize, since they have displacement hulls and the
          extra power won't gain any significant speed. . good
          luck, Mike

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • racephoto@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 25 9:45 AM
            Thanks for the replies. I'm a fairly new boater and the sailboat I
            took some lessons on earlier this year, a Sonar 23, didn't have an
            engine at all. So I didn't realize most sailboat outboards don't
            turn....looking at pictures now, though, I can see that. My current
            boat is a single inboard with a deep-v hull, and the low-speed
            handling is non-existant. Which is why I'm selling it....it's just
            not fun.

            I checked out the owners directory, nothing near me. I'm on Long
            Island, NY, about 45 mi east of Manhattan. I did go through a lot
            of the links in the file....the closest I've seen is Providence RI,
            which would probably be a 6 hr drive. There was one in Greenwood
            Lake, NJ but it sold before I could get out there.

            I am still considering a 26X, but I really think I'd be happier with
            a smaller boat. I had a blast on that Sonar, that's for sure. But
            I also want some sort of accomodations and I love the idea of being
            a powerboat too. Oh well, I guess I either need to gear up for a
            trip to RI or else resign myself to waiting for a while.

            Thanks again,
            Gail
          • MMM
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 26 9:59 PM
              I have a Mac 19 in Maryland and keep going back and forth about sell / don't
              sell. It's in the shop right now getting the engine fixed a second time.
              New carbs the first time, now a new temperature computer.

              I should warn you that the Mac 19 can be a handful to handle under sail. I
              was out a couple weekends ago in fresh winds and my crew was getting very
              frustrated because she could not keep the boat on a steady course and had to
              keep correcting hard. I anticipate motion and make it look easy but the
              truth is that if your attention wonders a bit you get off course, especially
              if you like to sail her on her side like I do. The rudders coming out of
              the water also complicates things. She's better when sailing flatter but
              then is less fun. The one thing I did wrong on this sail until the very end
              is that I had the CB all the way down. Last year I discovered that if you
              have the CB part way up it moves the center of effort back and balances the
              boat better.

              Also, the Mac will sideslip more than a Deep V hull.

              I suggest you sail a Mac 19 a couple times to make sure you are comfortable
              with the boat.

              MMM - owner of Fred. See pictures of some mods at the Yahoo group site.

              > Thanks for the replies. I'm a fairly new boater and the sailboat I
              > took some lessons on earlier this year, a Sonar 23, didn't have an
              > engine at all. So I didn't realize most sailboat outboards don't
              > turn....looking at pictures now, though, I can see that. My current
              > boat is a single inboard with a deep-v hull, and the low-speed
              > handling is non-existant. Which is why I'm selling it....it's just
              > not fun.
              >
              > I checked out the owners directory, nothing near me. I'm on Long
              > Island, NY, about 45 mi east of Manhattan. I did go through a lot
              > of the links in the file....the closest I've seen is Providence RI,
              > which would probably be a 6 hr drive. There was one in Greenwood
              > Lake, NJ but it sold before I could get out there.
              >
              > I am still considering a 26X, but I really think I'd be happier with
              > a smaller boat. I had a blast on that Sonar, that's for sure. But
              > I also want some sort of accomodations and I love the idea of being
              > a powerboat too. Oh well, I guess I either need to gear up for a
              > trip to RI or else resign myself to waiting for a while.
              >
              > Thanks again,
              > Gail
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • MMM
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 26 10:12 PM
                I was testing my motor repair a couple weekends ago and while it may seem
                the Mac has limited motor movement it is very maneuverable.

                I turn my rudders with my motor usually. When using just the rudders the
                turns are slow. Turn the motor and the boat can make a really sharp turn.
                Scared the **** out of me when I first thought it was slugish in turns and
                then thought to jerk the motor handle to starboard at high speed. The boat
                dipped 45 dedgrees into the turn and I could feel the G forces. Lesson -
                move the motor but move it very slowly.

                I have a 1993 Johnson 40 HP which will turn over 30 degrees each direction
                from center in the well. Just bring the handle up to clear the sides.

                MMM