Centerboard concerns

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
      Hi Mike,
      I'm responding to your question from last week.....

      > --- Chris,

      > I don't understand why your trailer doesn't have the
      > crossbar under the centerboard which supports the
      > centerboard during trailering? On mine it's just a 1"
      > bar from side to side with some padding under the
      > board contact area.

      My trailer does have the crossbar which I recently covered with latex
      sealant and plastic tubing to prevent further damage the centerboard.
      From observations on my old Mac26X, I was able to raise the
      centerboard on the trailer so that is was fully supported by the
      cable, and not sitting on anything else. So, it is normal that the
      Mac19 centerboard isn't supported by the cable when on its trailer?

      When looking at my current centerboard set-up, there is just a cable
      that attaches to the front centerboard goes up around a bolt and into
      the boat through a tube and etc. I think there is supposed to be a
      pulley in there somewhere, but my boat doesn't have it, making the
      lifting power signicantly less. When I try to lift the centerboard
      off of the trailer support using alot of effort, it doesn't budge.
      The leverage provided by cable attachment IMO is not sufficient given
      the weight of the centerboard out of the water.

      Additionally, I've heard of a story where a party of four piled into
      the bow section of a Mac19 during a storm, and the water started to
      come into the boat through the centerboard cable tube. I'm going to
      have alot of weight in the bow from the Plastimo water tank and I
      don't want to have a similar consequence.

      What I wanted to do was to install a tube that goes from the cockpit
      into the aft section of the centerboard trunk. From there, I would
      have a cable that would attach to the back area of the centerboard and
      lead into the cockpit through the tube so that I could raise/lower the
      centerboard without going into the boat.

      Has anyone one int this group modified the centerboard system with
      success?

      Thanks much for your response!
      -Chris
      Mac19 in San Diego
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
        Another reply...

        > --- Chris,
        > You have to post a photo of your linkage between the
        > rudders and motor. I've been pondering several
        > designs, particularly something that doesn't have to
        > be detached when you swing the motor up for
        > trailering. Hope the motor has a power tilt. I'm
        > replacing my manual tilt with a power mod.

        I'll gladly take some pictures once I'm happy with the design and
        operation. Currently, I need to raise the complete rudder system by
        about 4-6inches to clear the motor when it's in the up position.
        Also, I'm using the Acco-Morse 304860 series steering cable for the
        Mercury Ride Guide. If I don't use it in a while it's very stiff. I
        might need to get a new steering cable instead of the used one I have
        now that I got cheap to test out my design. Lastly, my outboard does
        have PT&T.

        Have a good weekend,
        Chris
        Mac19 in San Diego
      • cvosailor
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
          Mike,
          My Honda 40HP has a 11 1/2 X 12 prop. At full power the bow raises
          for about 5 seconds as the speed increases, then drops nicely to a
          plane. Ballast tank empty. I carry one full 6 gallon fuel tank aft.
          There are usually 2 adults on board, but last week I had 3 adults
          and 2 kids on board and had the same results. After a day of
          sailing, the kids wanted to "Go fast!" I had to empty the ballast
          tank anyway. When I was lowering the mast on the trailor, a power
          boat owner came up to me and said, "I've never seen a sailboat go
          that fast! Do you have a 40 HP or a 140 HP on that?" I told him all
          about the Mac 19.

          I don't have a GPS so I don't know what max speed it really goes.
          I'm thinking about trying to pull a skier or tuber - the kids are
          all for it! Question for those who have tried - Did you use the 2
          aft cleats to attach a tow rope?
          Thanks,
          Tim
          1992 - Wings

          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, mike fortuna

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 12, 2004
            Tim,

            Do you know your WOT rpm with that prop? If it's centered at Honda's
            reccomended 5K-6K rpm range for the BF40, it's a keeper. I might need
            to re-prop sometime down the road, which is why I ask.

            Also, if you have the plastic cleats on your boat like I have, I
            wouldn't pull a skier/tuber with them. I've heard other people
            breaking them when hitting a wake or going into a sharp turn. I would
            suggest using metal SS cleats with beefy backing washers on the bolts.

            -Chris

            --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "cvosailor"

          • Glenn Dubin
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 13, 2004
              Tim, I had to jump in, I trailored my boat over the Cascade
              Mountains to put in in Lake Chelan. Wapato Point has free overnight
              moorage and I found myself in the middle of 30 major motor power
              boats. I think they use aircraft engines or something. The point to
              this rambling, is Saturday I was sailing around the lake, winds fresh
              to 15 from the north. I ran south to the town of Chelan then tied
              down the sails. Oh you should have seen the faces of the motorboats
              when this sailboat started motoring around tubing a couple of kids.
              I could just see them watching me. I gave them a good look. Got
              back to the dock, unloaded kids raised the sails and tacked home.
              Okay, I didn't exactly have an audience, but it was fun to watch
              their questioning faces. Afterwards, more than a couple of guys
              came up to me and asked me if i was the owner of that "fast
              sailboat". Once again Macgregor got a free plug. I was the only boat
              owner that actually slept aboard Saturday night.
              Isn't it fun to have strangers walk up to you and ask you questions
              about your Mac19?

              Glenn Dubin
              Jersey Girl
              1993 Mac19

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 14, 2004
                Chris,

                What is WOT?
                From a standing start, when I go to full power, the RPM goes up to
                about 4800. As speed increases, RPM increases to stabilize at about
                5400 at top speed. I don't have 10 hours on the motor yet, so I stay
                at full power only a couple minutes before throttling back. I mostly
                sail, so it's going to take a long time to get above 10 hours. The
                dealer told me that after the motor is broken in the top speed RPM
                should be about 5800.

                I do have the plastic cleats. Thanks for the info on those. I'm
                thinking about replacing the top motor mount bolts with eye bolts
                and connecting the rope there, but it seems to close to the prop.
                Probably won't do that...

                Tim

                --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Chris"

              • bke1988
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 14, 2004
                  I have pulled a tube by connecting the rope at the top of the rudder
                  shafts, I am only pulling small kids

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 14, 2004
                    Tim,

                    Sorry for the abbreviation, WOT is gearhead-speak for "wide open
                    throttle". From what you said, it sounds like your outboard has the
                    correct prop. It would be interesting for you to borrow someone's
                    handheld GPS to see what your top speed is.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 15, 2004
                      --- Chris,
                      if you're doing any "serious" water skiing, and with
                      your larger motor you'll have more capability for
                      pulling larger skiiers on smaller skis you might think
                      about one of the fancy poles they mount near the
                      center of the boat, several feet above the cabin top
                      so when you turn, the boat doesn't slide on you.

                      Don't know if I've ever seen one mounted on a sailboat
                      and you may have to do some jury rigging and want to
                      make it easily removable when it's not in use but it
                      might work better than attaching to the rear of the
                      boat and then you'd really get some stares from the
                      powerboaters. Mike

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail