Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: Interested in buying Mac 19 - couple of questions......

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
      Your test method of adding water to the tank and
      looking for leaks while the boat is on the trailer is
      a good one. Ballast tank leaks are more common
      between the tank and the lake, usually around the
      centerboard bolts, and can be tricky to stop from the
      inside of the tank because of the water pressure, even
      after you go through the hassle of opening the hatches
      into the tank. However, they don't pose a safety
      threat because even if there were leaks into the
      cabin, the positive floatation of all the foam will
      support the boat even with the cabin full of water.
      More common is that the tank will partially fill up
      with water while you're motoring and slow you down
      somewhat. In this case, water will be seen to be
      leaking out around the centerboard trunk. I'm even
      planning to use a small air pump to keep blowing air
      into the tank to make sure it's empty because the
      optimum speed of the boat with a 40 hp engine, the
      right prop, minimum crew and baggage is over 20 mph.
      However, even with the ballast tank full, 5 big people
      and gear onboard and the wrong prop, you can still
      make over 10 mph which is twice the speed any
      non-planing hull will achieve.

      Where are you located?

      Check our files section for many Internet sites with
      boats for sale, or someone in this group may have a
      boat for sale or a half interest in one, which is a
      smart way to own a boat. Half the cost, half the work
      and the same amount of fun unless you're anti-social.
      Also check any local dealers and private parties.
      Some of the sites will have a wanted section. There
      is a list of Mac 19 owners by state at
      sailboatowners.com. Some of the names are out of date
      but many are still current.

      Other than obvious hardware problems or missing parts,
      you're more likely to have motor problems than boat
      problems and most boat problems are easy and cheap to
      fix compared to motor problems. Check our old messages
      for problems as well as lots of solutions and neat
      mods. It's an amazingly versatile and well built
      boat for the price, which can be anywhere from about
      $5,000 to 10,000. If you're not in a big hurry,
      prices will drop somewhat starting in the fall. On the
      other hand if gas prices go up after the election,
      powerboat prices may drop even more while sailboat
      prices may rise. good luck, Mike

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • MMM
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2004
        Fixing the engine may not be so cheap if you have a mechanic do it instead
        of doing it yourself.... It cost me an arm and a leg, but at least it's
        done.

        MMM