Anyone ever successfully heaved to in a mac19

  • lyndonb@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2004
      Anyone ever successfully heaved to in a mac19
      I tried it on Friday and I got spun around like nobody's business.
      Any trick to this on a Mac19 is it to light to heave to.
      What setting should I have the centerboard at?

      Thanks

      Lyndon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2004
        --- lyndon,

        HEAVE TO To bring a vessel up in a position where it
        will maintain little or no headway, usually with the
        bow into the wind or nearly so.

        Took me a while to find the definition. Why would you
        want to do it accept maybe coming direct into the wind
        when docking? The boat doesn't tack that well or go
        upwind very well in a light wind but is fine with
        medium to strong wind. Was your water ballast tank
        full. Not sure if the centerboard position would be a
        factor. You might have to drop the sails if you were
        planning to come up to a dock. Was the weather
        severe?

        Anyone else have any answers>

        b@... wrote:
        > Anyone ever successfully heaved to in a mac19
        > I tried it on Friday and I got spun around like
        > nobody's business.
        > Any trick to this on a Mac19 is it to light to heave
        > to.
        > What setting should I have the centerboard at?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Lyndon

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • phiggy2003
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 12, 2004
          Greetings. For the un-initiated at "Heave to" is a sailing maneuver
          that puts the boat in kind of a autopilot state without any special
          equipment. Supposedly, you come about in to the wind but don't
          bring the jib across (leave it set against the wind), pull in the
          main tight, then you tie off the tiller fulll towards windward. The
          boat will then maintain a constant course just off the wind but
          with a lot side slip. It's supposed to be a good trick to ride out
          high winds, squalls etc as the boat acts much calmer than it does on
          a tack. When it works properly you don't have to tend the tiller so
          you can run around and do other tasks. The one caveat is that you
          have to have enough room to accomodate the side slip.

          A good overview can be found at

          http://www.sailonline.com/seamanship/Heaving_to_man.html

          I've never tried it with MAC19 but I would imagine if it did'nt work
          with centre board full down I would try half down next. You might
          have to experiment with doing it with the standard jib rather than
          the Genoa as well.

          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, mike fortuna
          <angelwilliams69@y...> wrote:
          > --- lyndon,
          >
          > HEAVE TO To bring a vessel up in a position where it
          > will maintain little or no headway, usually with the
          > bow into the wind or nearly so.
          >
          > Took me a while to find the definition. Why would you
          > want to do it accept maybe coming direct into the wind
          > when docking? The boat doesn't tack that well or go
          > upwind very well in a light wind but is fine with
          > medium to strong wind. Was your water ballast tank
          > full. Not sure if the centerboard position would be a
          > factor. You might have to drop the sails if you were
          > planning to come up to a dock. Was the weather
          > severe?
          >
          > Anyone else have any answers>
          >

          > b@... wrote:
          > > Anyone ever successfully heaved to in a mac19
          > > I tried it on Friday and I got spun around like
          > > nobody's business.
          > > Any trick to this on a Mac19 is it to light to heave
          > > to.
          > > What setting should I have the centerboard at?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Lyndon

          > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • phiggy2003
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 21, 2004
            Tried a heave to yesterday in about a 10 kt headwind. Seemed to
            work... I tied off the tiller and tightened the Genoa against the
            wind a bit and the boat mantained a constant angle against the wind
            for about 10 minutes or so. I can't say I maintained neutral headway
            but it seems most of the energy was going into side slip. I was
            running the stock Magregor Genoa and Main, keel full down, ballast
            full, and two adults aboard.