Tempo 9 7.5 Gallon gas tank

  • lyndonb@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11 8:43 PM
      I have a plastic tempo 9 7.5 gallon gas tank that I added.
      However when less than half of the tank of gas is left is used
      suction appears to be an issue because the engine dies
      This does not oocur on my 6 gallon metal gas tank.

      Should the little vent on tank be open when running the motor how
      far open?
      Shouls the vent be widened or tightened as the tank draws down or
      remain the same
      Should it be closed tight when the taks are sitting on the trailer?

      Thanks for your advice

      Lyndon
      Cecilia 1994 Macgregor 19
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11 8:55 PM
        I once left the vent closed and motored a bit. The
        gas tank deflated like a ballon. The amount of the
        vent is not very important, as long as there is a bit
        air flow.

        Make sure the quick disconnects are not leaking air.
        I had this problem once. I replace the hose assembly
        and it worked great ever after.

        I tend to leave the vent open when not in use, but put
        the boat gas into my car tank if has sit for a month
        or two.

        Ron

        --- lyndonb@... wrote:
        > I have a plastic tempo 9 7.5 gallon gas tank that I
        > added.
        > However when less than half of the tank of gas is
        > left is used
        > suction appears to be an issue because the engine
        > dies
        > This does not oocur on my 6 gallon metal gas tank.
        >
        > Should the little vent on tank be open when running
        > the motor how
        > far open?
        > Shouls the vent be widened or tightened as the tank
        > draws down or
        > remain the same
        > Should it be closed tight when the taks are sitting
        > on the trailer?
        >
        > Thanks for your advice
        >
        > Lyndon
        > Cecilia 1994 Macgregor 19
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • mandolin2k
        Message 3 of 5 , May 12 11:02 AM
          I have two Tempo 9.75 Gal. tanks, what I like about them is how they
          fit perfectly into the space the are intended to go in. Plastic is
          nice because it doesn't rust.

          Jeff Pierson
        • Glenn Dubin
          Message 4 of 5 , May 12 9:40 PM
            --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, lyndonb@c... wrote:
            > I have a plastic tempo 9 7.5 gallon gas tank that I added.
            > However when less than half of the tank of gas is left is used
            > suction appears to be an issue because the engine dies
            > This does not oocur on my 6 gallon metal gas tank.
            >
            > Should the little vent on tank be open when running the motor how
            > far open?
            > Shouls the vent be widened or tightened as the tank draws down or
            > remain the same
            > Should it be closed tight when the taks are sitting on the trailer?
            >
            > Thanks for your advice
            >
            > Lyndon
            > Cecilia 1994 Macgregor 19

            Lyndon,

            I found that when the vent is open, The hatch covers tend to make
            contact with the open vents, and cause the vent to close. I have not
            figured out a solution yet, but I get that frequently and its "oops I
            forgot to open my vent" reaction, to calm the passengers..

            Glenn
            Jersey Girl
            Message 5 of 5 , May 13 4:53 AM
              What about making a doughnut or ring thick enough so
              that the hatch cover presses down on the ring instead
              of pushind down on and closing the vent? A scrap of 4
              or 6" PVC pipe cut off about 1.5", or whatever length
              is required, would keep the hatch from hitting the
              vent. It could just sit on top of the tank around the
              filler cap. You could get fancy and glue it to the
              tank or just let it sit there. It might even give
              extra support to the hatch covers, which can crack if
              you jump on them in the process of raising the mast.

              You can tell you're young and strong when you can
              carry around the larger gas tanks instead of the 6 gal
              size.

              Randy (Astro) and I went out on his boat Tuesday in
              between all the scattered storms, with great weather
              for Michigan, and almost finished making his kick up
              rudder system. How's everyone else doing?

              good luck and good sailing.