Forgot the ballast ports (Duh!)

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2002
      I forgot to close the ballast ports this weekend and we had two large
      guests. Someone noticed the large cushions in the back floating a
      bit. I realized what was wrong and closed the ports. The rest of
      the sail was wonderful. We got into the edge of a squall and got
      some good winds. Even with the heavy guests and extra water, the 19
      took off like a rocket!

      I was thinking of putting a float switch in the bilge to warn me if I
      am taking on water. Anyone else done this?

      Ron
    • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2002
        My boat came with 2 bilge pumps and manual switch. I added two float
        switches and am real glad of it. The boat takes on 2-3 inches of water in
        24 hrs at dock or while sailing - found one source and am still checking
        other culprits (CB cable tube?). Anyway, the float switches were from Boat
        US at $22 each. They activate at about 1.5-3 inches of water and turn off at
        1-1.5. You can get slightly larger (less elegant?) switches for about $14
        from my local Wal-Mart but I did not try those - too much of a rush.

        Note that the ballast tank filler line splits the bilge in 2 and you can get
        about 3 inches of water in one side before it shows up on the other side. I
        recommend 2 switches and bilge pumps. There are also bilge pumps with built
        in float switches. I already had pumps so worked with what I had.

        I did not install an alarm but one of the bilge pump exhaust hoses exits
        through the same hole as the oil and electrical wires for the motor. A
        piece of hose points back from the boat to keep the water out of the motor
        well. When the bilge pump comes on I see the stream.

        The second bilge pump T's into the drain line from the motor well. When it
        comes on I can sometimes see water welling up into the motor well - usually
        only when I accelerate under power.

        The bilge pumps were loose in the bilge when I got the boat. Rather than
        screw everything into the boat bottom I bought a flat piece of aluminum at
        Home Depot and dry fitted the bilge pumps and switches for length before
        cutting off a base. I cut another 6" piece which I attached to the first
        piece to form an L shape. The L shape gives the whole rig stability and I
        can move it around a bit if I decide I want to experiment with placement.for
        optimum drainage at anchor vs. under power. The whole rig fits nicely
        against the ballast filler tunnel and has remained stable with the bilge
        pumps upright.

        Be careful of the wiring with cheap bilge pumps. Reversing the wiring will
        still have the pump pushing water but at a reduced efficiency/power. Mine a
        re wired in parallel to a single switch on my new panel. Since they have
        independent float switches they work independently when water accumulates on
        one side or the other of the bilge.

        MMM

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2002
          (no message)
        • angela michele
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 17, 2002
            Ron,
            what do you mean by ballast ports? As far as water in
            the bilge, you might even think about automatic bilge
            pumps(you need one on each side). I have a device that
            shuts off my battery before it gets critically low but
            you can use a trickle charger if the boat is docked
            and to keep your battery from running down. The angle
            of the boat while on a trailer makes a difference.
            Nose up, water goes to the rear of the bilge, nose
            down it goes to the front. When boat is level, water
            doesn't show up in the front or rear access areas
            unless there's lots of it. I think the bolts for the
            centerboard and the tube for the CB cable are sources
            of water along with any leaks in the ballast tank but
            compared to some boats, including the 26x, the 19
            doesn't have as many likely leaks.You can add water
            when it's on the trailer and look for leaks from the
            ballast tank or the bilges. You must be somewhere
            warm, enjoying the boat while we're looking at the
            snow covering our boats up here. Mike

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 2002
              Actually the water squirted out of the air vent with
              the heavy load(s). I do not have any measureable
              leaks if I close both ballast ports, water and vent.
              I would just like to know if I am taking on water. If
              I cannot I figure out why, then that is why we have
              40HP motors to take us home.

              Happy sails,
              Ron

            • Angelo Michelotti
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2003
                Ron,
                Why not just install automatic bilge pumps or two(one one each side
                of the keel stiffener so it drains both sides) and you can always
                connect some kind of noisemaker or flashing light to the pump to let
                you know it's working. Adam in Baltimore, in our group, has
                successfully installed the pumps if you want details. I've used them
                on other boats I've owned. I was planning to do the same this summer
                before going on any long cruises just in case anything leaks, by
                accident or otherwise. I believe he bought his at Walmart for less
                than the typical marine supply store price.

                --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Buckles"

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 7, 2003
                  Yes, that would be the way to go. But I still have
                  not talked myself into doing it yet.

                  --- Angelo Michelotti <angelwilliams69@...>

                • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 7, 2003
                    It does add peace of mind to know they are working, though I find myself
                    watching for the telltales that they are pumping when the bow goes up.

                    A 500 Gallon pump on port is T'd into the motorwell drain and a 300 gallon
                    pump on starboard is connected to a hose that exits with the motor wires/oil
                    hose and takes a bend to face backwards. The starboard pump rarely needs to
                    come on. The port pump often comes on when I turn on the engine and the bow
                    comes up. BTW, the pumps are mounted on an aluminum plate with a float
                    switch for each so I didn't have to drill into the boat bottom. When they
                    were mounted I simply dropped them in the bilge wells in the back and
                    connected the short wires to a long wire to the battery with screw caps.
                    Filled the caps with 5200 to keep water out and tried to use plastic ties to
                    hang the mess on top of the spine from a tiny hole already in the edge of
                    the well cover lip. Seems to have worked and I have not shorted the battery
                    yet. I'll have to get some pictures.

                    MMM