Fuel Leak on 40hp Tohatsue

  • Glenn Dubin
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 18, 2004
      Jersey Girl came out of the garage for a spring get ready, lower
      unit oil changed but when I pressureized the fuel system, by
      squeezing on the bulb, fuel seemed to squirt out of the back, bottom
      or top of the the top carb. Here is what I know:
      The carb bowl drain plug is secure, the fuel line to the side of the
      carbs behind the oil tank appear dry, the fuel line just above the
      carb is dry. Fuel just pours out of the top carb. Nothing appears
      to be loose. I believe that when I squeezed the fuel bulb, I must
      have blown something off or out. Any ideas? It looks like a trip to
      the Tohastue dealer. I can replace lines if accessable, but anything
      about carbs is way out of my (little)league.
      BTW, thanks for the pix of Fred. Gave me some ideas about bilge
      tanks.

      Good sailing.
      Glenn
      Jersey Girl
    • Mad_Mac_Mod
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 19, 2004
        Your welcome. I have better pics but that PC is out of commission right
        now. FYI, the pump and switch are mounted on an aluminum L shaped base and
        not mounted to the hull. No screw holes and it is very stable. Wires are
        way out of the way - the switch does not hang up on them and the whole
        assemply lifts out for checking.
        MMM

        > Jersey Girl came out of the garage for a spring get ready, lower
        > unit oil changed but when I pressureized the fuel system, by
        > squeezing on the bulb, fuel seemed to squirt out of the back, bottom
        > or top of the the top carb. Here is what I know:
        > The carb bowl drain plug is secure, the fuel line to the side of the
        > carbs behind the oil tank appear dry, the fuel line just above the
        > carb is dry. Fuel just pours out of the top carb. Nothing appears
        > to be loose. I believe that when I squeezed the fuel bulb, I must
        > have blown something off or out. Any ideas? It looks like a trip to
        > the Tohastue dealer. I can replace lines if accessable, but anything
        > about carbs is way out of my (little)league.
        > BTW, thanks for the pix of Fred. Gave me some ideas about bilge
        > tanks.
        >
        > Good sailing.
        > Glenn
        > Jersey Girl
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • bke1988
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 19, 2004
          The fuel coming out of the carb could be simply that the float is
          stuck in the bowel (I don't have a Tohastue) but most carb bowels
          usually come off fairly easily for cleaning.

          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Dubin"

        • astro27go@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 25, 2004
            Jim, I agree with Glen about your carb. having a stuck float, also the float may have leaked, filled with gas and sank causing the bowl to overflow. I've seen this happen before on small carbs. One other thing could be debris holding the float valve open. It's hard to get to the carb with the OB on the boat. If you pull the OB to take to dealer, you could remove the float bowl like Glen said and check these things (it's pretty simple but don't loose the small parts) before you take it to the shop.                                                  Good Luck, Randy S.V. Windfall
          • giandubin@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 26, 2004
              Randy and all, Thank you.  I did verify a stuck float first with #1(?) top carb, then with #2 carb.  Tends to flood the #2 cylinder and cause a misfire.  Tapping on the carbs with a rubber mallet seemed to solve condition, however, I have noticed this occurs after anytime the engine is run out of fuel, then it sits until the next fire up in the stuck down possition. it is not practical for me to remove the cowling and pound on the carbs before priming each time, so I'm wondering if anyone has used carb cleaner to cleanse the carb.  I agree with randy, the float could be "sunk" - real bad technical term when referring to anything nautical - but it seams to refloat after a good pounding. I am hoping to get on the water this weekend or next but will not make way until I am sure there are no fuel leaks. I am convinced that this chronic stuck float condiiton has been this way with this used motor for some time, as the air intake box surrounding the carbs seems somewhat distorted just under the carbs.
              Otherwise engine runs well, starts easily but smokes alot.....any ideas would be helpful.

              Glenn
              Jersey Girl

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 27, 2004
                An old trick a friend showed me a few years ago for
                cleaning the carb on a 2 cycle engine is to use
                regular gas, not 2 cycle mix. Let it sit for a few
                days, start it and run it for only a second or two,
                drain out the regular gas, then fill it with 2 cycle
                mix. This dissolves some of the gum and oil buildup,
                stuck floats, etc. Some of the carb cleaners are just
                solvents like laquer thinner,but they can damage some
                of the gaskets and rubber type hoses, etc. so don't
                let them sit very long. If you can carefully remove
                the bowl without losing any small parts like needle
                valves,washers,gaskets etc you can check to see if the
                float is still light instead of fuel logged, remove
                any dirt and gum and reinstall. good luck

              • giandubin@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 27, 2004
                  Thanks, great idea, I will try that, let the fuel just sit for a bit. I think my Tohatsu has oil injection, ( I fill a resevoir once every couple of tanks), and the oil is injected rather than mixed in the carb.  I could be wrong and I will go connect my fuel line tonight and let it sit for a couple of days. If i do have a sunk float(s), I should be able to pump more fuel out of the carb if the float is stuck down.  The condition does seem to go away after the fuel is in the carb for a while which leads me to believe it is just stuck.  I am off now to connect and prime fuel.
                  By the way,  I am really astounded by the wealth of info from this group.  I have gotten so much good info and insights into Mac 19 ownership .  I can't believe I can have this much fun with a computer ABOUT a sailboat!

                  Glenn
                  Jersey Girl

                  Glenn.
                • lyndonb@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
                    Glen, I'm taking my Mac19 out this Saturday morning to Blake island
                    want to follow us in yours? Weather shoudl be great.

                    -Lyndon
                    Cecilia 94 Macgregor 19.

                  • giandubin@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
                      Wow, a Mac 19 convoy.  I would love to but I gotta work, earn the money to afford boat payments.  (and college fund, mortgage, etc...).. sailing or motoring or both>
                    • Glenn Dubin
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 30, 2004
                        Lyndon

                        Good luck on your cruise to Blake Island. Take some pix!

                        Glenn