Looking for a Mac 19

  • jayhawkdriver2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
      Hello,
      I am living in Clearwater, Florida and I am trying to find a
      Macgregor 19 for sale in good shape. I would be willing to travel
      North if need be.
      I really enjoy sailing but with limited experience. I would like to
      teach the kids to love it as well. The kids (10 and 7) love the idea
      of the Mac 19 able to do 20 kts and I think the cabin will be roomy
      enough to satisfy the wife. The trailering ability is a must as well.
      I think the 26 is a little too large for us as I will need to tow it
      with a Toyota PU.
      If anyone knows where I might be able to find what I am looking for
      or has any advice for me in my search, please let me know. Also any
      good or bad things to say about the boat is appreciated. The 19 seems
      to be exactly what I am looking for if I am correct in assuming its
      easily managed by one person and stable enough to be forgiving. So if
      you have one for sale or know someone who does and live near Florida,
      please let me know.
    • Glenn Dubin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2004
        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "jayhawkdriver2001"
        <markllay@h...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        > I am living in Clearwater, Florida and I am trying to find a
        > Macgregor 19 for sale in good shape. I would be willing to travel
        > North if need be.
        > I really enjoy sailing but with limited experience. I would like
        > teach the kids to love it as well. The kids (10 and 7) love the
        idea
        > of the Mac 19 able to do 20 kts and I think the cabin will be roomy
        > enough to satisfy the wife. The trailering ability is a must as
        well.
        > I think the 26 is a little too large for us as I will need to tow
        it
        > with a Toyota PU.
        > If anyone knows where I might be able to find what I am looking
        for
        > or has any advice for me in my search, please let me know. Also any
        > good or bad things to say about the boat is appreciated. The 19
        seems
        > to be exactly what I am looking for if I am correct in assuming its
        > easily managed by one person and stable enough to be forgiving. So
        if
        > you have one for sale or know someone who does and live near
        Florida,
        > please let me know.

        Howdy,

        Well, I have owned my Mac 19 sincee this past August. I have been out
        sailing about three times in varying conditions and out motoring in
        varyiing conditions and have some observations. My history is with
        small 15' sailboats and I don't "like" motor boats. My wife and kids
        wanted a motor boat, I NEEDED a sailboat for sanity

        First, i pull my boat/trailer with a '90 toyota 4runner V6 auto. I
        pulls and trailers nice, aound town and on freeways I take it
        easy...no more than 60mph. Fairly stable trailer settup for towing.
        I would not take it over the mountains, I live in Washington State,
        probably not a big problem for you in FL. the V6 in this toyota
        barely gets out of its own way, so towing is slow, but it pulls along
        okay as long as I'm not in any hurry.

        As for amenities, well, the pictures in the brochures (plenty on
        line) make it out to be a cabin cruiser. Tell you wife that it will
        be alot like tent camping and she will be happy. I have not
        overnighted my boat and am not really looking forward to it. I
        cannot get my 200+lb frame into the little box the brochure calls
        an "enclosed head", but it is there for the ladies...they like having
        that option, should nature call. It does work well for stowing kids
        after skiing to stay warm, relax, etc, while under way.

        I am no "popeye the sailor man", but really enjoy how the boat
        performs under sail, it scoots but can be a bit of a challenge to
        sail under some conditions. It likes to go backwards, it takes work
        to keep a good line and steering is generally sluggish compared to a
        fixed keel, however it will hydroplane easily, and once you get the
        feel for the boat, sailling it is a hoot and it should satisfy your
        sailling jollies. (it does mine)

        Under power, again fairly sluggish is to perform as a motor boat, but
        with a 40hp engine, the boat will hydroplane and will get a skier out
        of the water. I rank as "Fun Uncle" with it, as taking loads of kids
        tubing is definetly one of the boats strong points. Again, I do not
        like motor boats, but as one, this one does what is advertised
        although I have not clocked the speed, the kids say it is fast enough-
        -works for me.

        So far, I am very pleased with my boat and look longingly at it in
        the garage, fits most standard house garages. Here in Seattle,
        winter is not inviting for sailing, but come spring.....
        I don't know of any other boats that do so much so well, in such a
        small package. We looked at the 26, but relized I need a bigger rig
        to tow it and would need to store it somewhere, this was the best of
        both worlds. Maybe when I win the lottery, the new 26m will be in my
        carport.

        Glenn.
        Go Noles.
      • Glenn Dubin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2004

        • scribner@schuyler.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2004
            I have a M19 for sale in beautiful shape. Right now it
            is garaged for the winter, but will be willing to take
            it out for serious buyers. Have many recent pictures as
            well. It's also listed in sailingtexas.com

            SS

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go
            to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/macgregor19sailboats/%c2%a0
            to:macgregor19sailboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            Terms of Service.

            Schuyler D. Scribner
            Scribner Creative Multimedia
            P.O. Box 63
            Durham, NH 03824
          • gq055
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 25, 2004
              Greetings,

              I am looking for a late model Mac 19 in good condition and reasonably
              priced.

              If you know of one for sale or if you have one and you're welling to
              part with, I have a good home for her, I reside in the Chicago area
              and welling to travel to pick her up.

              Please let me know at gq055@...

              Thank you
              Gus