Upgrading 40HP Tohatsu to Remote

  • Glenn Dubin
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
      Has anyone modified their tiller controled 40hp Tohatsu to be
      controled by remote? Is it possible? Any ramblings would be
      helpfull. I would like to make this my winter project. I see quite
      a few boats in the photos section with remotes.

      Glenn
      (still no-name for my 19)
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
        Seems like lots of work for the small advantage you'd
        get. I presume you're talking about just the shifter
        and throttle controls, not steering. If you check
        with Nissan.Tohatsu dealers you might find a used
        remote and cables then you'd just have to drill a
        hole in the cockpit and wind the cables back to the
        engine. I'm still thinking about a simple linkage
        design to steer the engine while you're turning the
        tiller, like the 26x uses, which would be handy in
        tight manuevering situations.

        I'll bet someone has published a book of boat names
        since many of them have cute double meanings or
        spellings like miott =my yacht. Maybe some of the
        marine stores know of one. good luck, Mike

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
          I just searched under Yahoo for "boat names book" and
          found about 10 entries, one of them with 300,000 boat
          name books. Library may even have one you can borrow.
          Mike