Sailing on Lake Erie

  • Mike Fortuna
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
      I sent this note to the W. Lk Erie sail group which has lots of
      helpful information. If you're sailing anywhere on Lake Erie you
      might want to join and get their daily emails.

      Go to: <lakeerie-list@...> to sign up.

      Thanks to all for the helpful info about sailing to Put-In-Bay, etc.
      Randy and I met
      up with an O Day 24 that took most of the day to sail from around
      Monroe, Mi
      to PIB and most of the next day sailing/motoring back.

      We trailered our Mac 19 to Catawba State Park, which is a great
      place to launch and FREE. Out of guilt, we spent reasonable
      sums in Ohio to
      help support their great park system. Since we arrived early in
      the day,
      after shopping in marine stores we sailed to Middle Bass to
      check out the
      park/marina there. It was midweek and we were about the only
      visitors. We had hoped to
      visit the old winery but it was too far to walk and we heard they're
      redoing
      it into a marina. It's famous for collapsing a few years ago with
      many injuries to tourists.

      Midweek at PIB, on Lower Bass Island, was great unless you
      miss rowdy crowds. The service was great
      and you could actually sleep in the marina! Great restaurants
      and shops and a famous tall tower in honor of Admiral Perry and
      historic naval battles on Lake Erie. Next day we visited Kellys
      and
      the beach next to the harbor. Having an M19 with a draft of 9"
      sure
      is an advantage in shallows and beaching, but launching it
      against strong
      wind took some extra effort. Of course the winds died eventually
      and we
      had to motor at up to 15mph which left us time to tour the yacht
      club next to the Catawba
      state park and check out all the luxury boats there before
      heading back. Our motoring speed never reached optimum
      since I still have a 17 pitch prop and our ballast tank spilled quite
      a bit of water into the bilges and I haven't installed bilge pumps
      yet. Still, it was at least twice the speed most sailboats can
      travel.

      Not sure if Indian summer will give us a chance to repeat or to
      make it all
      the way across to Pelee to check out the hotel there and see if
      their great
      staff are still the helpful party animals I remember from a prior
      visit.

      Happy sailing to all. MIke
    • Lynn Steimel
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
        Mike, I enjoyed hearing about your trip to Put-In-Bay. One of my
        favorite places to sail to.

        My wife and I have also sailed to Put-in-Bay, Ohio. We trailer our boat
        from northwest Indiana to Catawba Island State Park and put the boat in
        the water there. The people at the park are very nice. It is
        approximately a 7.5 mile sail from the state park to the marina in PIB.
        It is a beautiful island, and if you like the crazy nightlife, it
        definitely gets crazy there. I learned about PIB from the Travel
        Channel. They rated it the second best party place in the country after
        Marti Gras. Mike is that winery you were talking about on Middle Bass
        Island or South Bass Island? We have gone to the one of SBI and had a
        ball. We rented a golf cart for the day and stopped at the winery with
        another couple. It began to storm while we were there so what a good
        excuse to share a couple bottles of wine out on the patio. Of course,
        after that we didn't feel like going out that night. It is only about a
        4 hour trip from my house to the state park. We went two times last
        year. We didn't get there this year but next year for sure we will go.

        Mike, maybe we will see you there sometime.

        Lynn
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2003
          Lynn,
          the winery, or ex-winery is on Middle Bass Island,
          just a few miles North of PIB. It's closed because of
          an accident a few years ago, documented in detail on
          one of the travel channel programs. I think a balcony
          collapsed with lots of people on it. Many injuries.
          When we saw the winery, it looked abandoned and they
          plan to convert it to another marina. The State Park,
          just a mile or so North of it is accessed by a Y
          shaped inlet, one side of which is a private club, I
          believe. One of the members of the Lake Erie Sailnet
          groups said that just a short walk from the State
          Park/Marina on Middle Bass is a fancy resort worth
          visiting.

          If we get it together for another visit to the area
          before winter, I'll let everyone know and see if we
          can get a few boats together for a group sail/visit to
          the area. Mike

          --- Lynn Steimel <lynn.steimel@...> wrote:
          > Mike, I enjoyed hearing about your trip to
          > Put-In-Bay. One of my
          > favorite places to sail to.
          >
          > My wife and I have also sailed to Put-in-Bay, Ohio.
          > We trailer our boat
          > from northwest Indiana to Catawba Island State Park
          > and put the boat in
          > the water there. The people at the park are very
          > nice. It is
          > approximately a 7.5 mile sail from the state park to
          > the marina in PIB.
          > It is a beautiful island, and if you like the crazy
          > nightlife, it
          > definitely gets crazy there. I learned about PIB
          > from the Travel
          > Channel. They rated it the second best party place
          > in the country after
          > Marti Gras. Mike is that winery you were talking
          > about on Middle Bass
          > Island or South Bass Island? We have gone to the one
          > of SBI and had a
          > ball. We rented a golf cart for the day and stopped
          > at the winery with
          > another couple. It began to storm while we were
          > there so what a good
          > excuse to share a couple bottles of wine out on the
          > patio. Of course,
          > after that we didn't feel like going out that night.
          > It is only about a
          > 4 hour trip from my house to the state park. We
          > went two times last
          > year. We didn't get there this year but next year
          > for sure we will go.
          >
          > Mike, maybe we will see you there sometime.
          >
          > Lynn

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Lynn Steimel
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2003
            Thanks Mike for the info. It sounds like a fun get-together. Lynn