Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Access to the stern from inside

  • Michael Matthews
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 8, 2003
      The only drain I have for the engine well is a tiny little tube that
      is amidships and goes straight through the transom. The inside
      diameter of the tube can't be more than 1/4" and I don't think
      it's accessible from inside. The piece that it goes through looks
      solid to me. Otherwise there are no thru-hulls anywhere on the
      boat (except, of course, the ballast tank valve).

      It looks like I'll be drilling through the hull somewhere. I was
      toying with idea of mounting the thru-hulls on the section of
      stern that faces the engine, just behind the engine well, one on
      each side. I think I can get to this without touching the liner.

      I just got all the pieces I need to put a real electrical system
      in the boat (battery, battery switch, distribution panel, etc.).
      Once I get that and the bilge pumps installed I'm ready to
      see if she'll float. Assuming that is successful all I have to
      do is make a decision on the engine and she'll be ready
      for some fall sailing.

      By the way, did anyone else see the M-19 that was on
      E-Bay? I mention it because the pictures showed some
      interesting mods. The one I liked best was a mount for
      what looked like a depth finder and GPS placed at the
      top of the compression post. Nicely done!

      Take care,
      Michael

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 8, 2003
        Mike,
        when was the M-19 on Ebay and if it's no longer under
        completed sales, do you have any photos of the mods or
        recall the final sale price.\? This time of year most
        sailboats on Ebay aren't getting very good prices
        whereas used accessories are often going for almost
        new prices. thanks, Mike Fortuna

        wrote:

        > By the way, did anyone else see the M-19 that was on
        > E-Bay? I mention it because the pictures showed some
        > interesting mods. The one I liked best was a mount
        > for
        > what looked like a depth finder and GPS placed at
        > the
        > top of the compression post. Nicely done!
        >
        > Take care,
        > Michael

        === message truncated ===

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Dave Riordan
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 9, 2003
          Mike,

          The M-19 is still for sale on Ebay with a starting
          price of $14,000(!). No bids yet. Here's a link:

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26433&item=2430932252

          Dave M-19 "FUSION"

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • phiggy2003
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 10, 2003
            Found the boat your were speaking of on ebay... you are right, nice
            mods. I like the cockpit inset for compass and knot meter? I have
            uploaded the pictures from ebay to this groups pictures under a
            folder called "ebaymods" ... enjoy!

            --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, angela michele

          • angela michele
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 10, 2003
              Shame he didn't sell the M19 on Ebay for that price
              and make us all feel good about resale value. I'll
              invite the seller to join our group and give him some
              other sites and suggestions.

              The two instruments mounted at the front of the
              cockpit below the aft hatch could also be mounted on
              either side of the hatch. Visibility might be better.
              The instruments mounted on the compression post aren't
              very easy to see when you're under sail. I like
              Randy's idea better, which I've used on two boats now,
              of a swinging panel to hold radio, gps, etc. That way
              you can see it while sailing or use it inside the
              cabin. The mount for the autotiller and whatever the
              equipment/device next to it seems like it's in the
              way, the way it's mounted. I also found an
              inclinometer at a $ store which would work great if
              you sealed it from leakage.

              We just finished a two day trip on Lake Erie, to Put
              In Bay and the Erie Islands, which I'll let Randy
              describe but I did manage to get my depth sounder
              working and am still dismayed by some of the
              electrical wiring setup and will continue to improve
              it. I've temporarily used white duct tape to hold some
              wiring in place until I'm sure of where I want to
              route it before drilling into the liner with mounting
              straps. I'm also still experimenting with a bunge
              system of hooks and eyestraps to quick roll/store the
              main on the boom. I also added a topping lift which
              is handy and could be used for man overboard rescue.
              Will send some photos soon.

              I seem to have a leaky bouyancy tank. Fortunately it
              doesn't leak into the bilge but drains out via the
              centerboard area when boat's on a trailer and has a
              slight leak thru one of the access ports which lets
              water into the cabin floor. I thought I had sealed it
              but need to redo it after opening it to check possible
              leakage, probably around one of the centerboard
              bolts.I may be suffering from the C shaped damage
              someone mentioned in an earlier email.

              We did receive an amazing amount of interest in the
              boat from other sailors and potential sailors, which
              was handled by Randy's enthusiastic explanations and
              praise for the 19.

              Hope you all get in some good sailing before the
              seasnon's over. Mike Fortuna

              === message truncated ===

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 10, 2003
                The 1/4" hole is in the vertical part or the horizontal part? Mine is 1/4 "
                but in the horizontal part. From inside it looks like looks like a funnel
                and goes straight down to the 2" hose, then a sharp right angle adapter and
                another hose to starboard where there is another funnel and 1/4 hole on the
                outside. Really looks factory made.

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 11, 2003
                  Yep. It's a tiny, short "hose" that goes directly from the
                  engine well horizontally through the lip at the back of the
                  well. The tube can't be more than 1.5 inches long. It's a
                  bad design as it's above the bottom of the engine well so
                  some water collects in there and sits. I may have to add
                  a drain to the well later and T it into the bilge pump hoses
                  that I install.

                  I'm beginning to think that my boat was built in one of the
                  early production runs. The interior finish is really rough and,
                  as I've mentioned before, there's very little deck hardware.
                  Does anybody know how to read the Mac hull number?
                  Mine is MACP240F292.

                  On a positive note the new electrical system is complete.
                  I installed a battery, battery switch, 6 switch distribution
                  panel, a couple of bus bars (one for ground, one for cabin
                  lights) and then added a light to the head. I ran the wires for
                  the bilge pump so now all I need to do is drill the thru-hulls,
                  install the pumps and I'm ready to slap an engine on her.

                  Right now the Honda 30hp 4 stroke is the leading contender.
                  I've been warned by a couple of mechanics to stay away from
                  the direct injection two strokes as they're brand new and they
                  can't sell regular 2-strokes in California anymore. I'm still hoping
                  to stumble into something used but can't wait much longer.

                  Take care,
                  Michael

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 11, 2003
                    For MacGregor Hull numbers look here:

                    http://www.wadler.org/hullid.htm

                    Wadler is a good source of Mac info. A lot of his
                    stuff I have copied into Word files.

                    Happy sails,
                    Ron

                    wrote:
                    > Yep. It's a tiny, short "hose" that goes directly
                    > from the
                    > engine well horizontally through the lip at the back
                    > of the
                    > well. The tube can't be more than 1.5 inches long.
                    > It's a
                    > bad design as it's above the bottom of the engine
                    > well so
                    > some water collects in there and sits. I may have to
                    > add
                    > a drain to the well later and T it into the bilge
                    > pump hoses
                    > that I install.
                    >
                    > I'm beginning to think that my boat was built in one
                    > of the
                    > early production runs. The interior finish is really
                    > rough and,
                    > as I've mentioned before, there's very little deck
                    > hardware.
                    > Does anybody know how to read the Mac hull number?
                    > Mine is MACP240F292.
                    >
                    > On a positive note the new electrical system is
                    > complete.
                    > I installed a battery, battery switch, 6 switch
                    > distribution
                    > panel, a couple of bus bars (one for ground, one for
                    > cabin
                    > lights) and then added a light to the head. I ran
                    > the wires for
                    > the bilge pump so now all I need to do is drill the
                    > thru-hulls,
                    > install the pumps and I'm ready to slap an engine on
                    > her.
                    >
                    > Right now the Honda 30hp 4 stroke is the leading
                    > contender.
                    > I've been warned by a couple of mechanics to stay
                    > away from
                    > the direct injection two strokes as they're brand
                    > new and they
                    > can't sell regular 2-strokes in California anymore.
                    > I'm still hoping
                    > to stumble into something used but can't wait much
                    > longer.
                    >
                    > Take care,
                    > Michael

                  • Tom Garmon
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 11, 2003
                      Mike,

                      Your boat sounds to be setup just like mine. I have the same engine well
                      drain hole and no winches on the deck. Mine is a '92 model. I also do
                      not have the long trough running under the v-berth cushions for the
                      centerboard cable and pullies, it's just flat with the cable under the
                      fiberglass. This makes it difficult to do any work to the centerboard
                      cable system.

                      Tom
                      '92 19'

                      "
                      > but in the horizontal part. From inside it looks like looks like a
                      > funnel and goes straight down to the 2" hose, then a sharp right angle

                      > adapter
                      and
                      > another hose to starboard where there is another funnel and 1/4 hole
                      > on
                      the
                      > outside. Really looks factory made.
                      >
                      > MMM - Mac 19 - "Fred" - MACP02921293
                      > "When I grow up I want to be a Mac 26M?"

                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 12, 2003
                        I think the last two digits may be the year. My serial number is
                        MACP02921293.

                        I would not rush on the motor. The boat can be moved with a 5 HP so if you
                        know anyone who could lend you one you could go sailing. If you are brave
                        or foolish you could sail without a motor. I did that on lakes with my
                        SouthCoast 22 and managed to dock even in a lively breeze. However,
                        eventually I did buy a 3HP electric for docking and departing.

                        Also, I think the extra horsepower of a 40 will really make the boat a lot
                        more lively and satisfying. My motor lets me crank it up to full power for
                        short periods before insisting on running at half speed. The boat feels
                        very different on a full plane than on a half plane.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 14, 2003
                          No wenches on that boat. No winches either... Didn't Mac 19s come with
                          winches?

                          Also, the bottom and one rudder look awfully dirty for a boat that has only
                          been out once... OK, out once, but for how long?

                          If the boat was $9.5K originally and they added 3 sails (why?) and GPS and
                          autopilot and minor stuff it might add up to $14K.

                          They used the table to mount the GPS stuff, so do you still have a table?

                          Also, the stern light is round silver. Is this a mod? Mine is black.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 20, 2003
                            Adam, My 1994 came with winches standard, my stern 120 degree nav lite is silver and dome shaped. Mike's 1993 didn't come with winches and the backstay for his masthead rig is on the port side. Mine is on the starboard side of the transom.
                               Windfall might go out on Lake ST. Clare soon.
                                                                           Randy
                          • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 20, 2003
                              Interesting.  Mine is a 1993 but I think a late year model.  It also has the stay on the starboard side but the lights are the black Aquasignal ones.