Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: Fully battened jib

  • angela michele
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
      Michael, I just got the Minney's jib but haven't tried
      it. Mounting the blocks for it probably requires a
      track for optimum adjustments. The dimensions seem
      more like a spinnaker. Sail looks brand new. Battens
      can improve sail performance but are a hassle in
      tacking if they overlap the mast and you're right
      about how small the regular jib is.
      You might find a larger jib used on ebay or some of
      the many other intenet sites with used sails or even
      some of the local sailmakers. Before buying the
      Minney's jib, although they say it's returnable, you
      might consider whether you plan to add a furler.
      Having a huge genoa that can furl down to a smaller
      size is very convenient. Many boats with big furling
      genoas don't even bother to put up the main when just
      going out for a short sail unless they have really
      light air. The Hobie jib I mentioned was custom made
      as a "super jib, requiring special mast head and
      bridle rigging. It zips up the forestay, which is
      great when furling but less convenient for frequent
      changes than hanks. On the other hand it was driving
      us along at almost 8 mph without a main in strong
      winds. I had to recut one panel and still haven't
      found the ideal spot for genoa blocks. I'll keep you
      and the group informed. Mike Fortuna

      --- Michael Matthews <mike_matthews@...>

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Michael Matthews
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
        I don't have any plans to buy a furler right now.
        I have one on my other boat (a 26' Tartan sloop).
        I love it about 90% of the time but when the
        wind gets really high, it's more of a problem.
        My Tartan normally tacks amazingly well. In
        high winds with the main reefed and genoa
        partially furled she can actually stall out during
        a tack! Nothing more frustrating than stalling
        a boat in 35kts of wind. The problem is that
        a heavily furled genoa has a terrible sail shape.
        I used to think that didn't matter but experience
        has proven otherwise.

        I'm actually kind of looking forward with the Mac
        to going back to changing jibs. Of course I may
        change my opinion after doing it a few times!

        What I'd really rather have is a nice asymetrical
        or cruising spinnaker. I crewed a two day race
        aboard a 38' Catalina earlier in the summer. We
        flew the asymetrical as far up as a close reach
        then switched to about a 110 higher up. When
        the winds picked up flying the asymetrical on
        a beam or even close reach was very exciting!

        If anyone has an asymetrical or cruising
        spinnaker that works really well can you please
        post the measurements?

        Take care,
        Michael