Re: Centerboard loose

  • robertstermer
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 20, 2003
      Just a warning. My centerboard became loose because the pin holing
      it to the hull had eroded the fiberglass in the centerboard. The
      side to side motion of the board punched a hole in the hull inside
      the centerboard well. The repair work was difficult. If anyone has a
      similar problem and wants to hear what I learned during the repair,
      let me know.
      I would recommend frequent inspections of the centerboard and/or a
      nodifacaction before damage is done. The repairs were fairly
      extensive once the holes are in the hull.-Bob Stermer
    • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 21, 2003
        I plan dropping the CB for inspection this winter but would appreciate
        hearing about your lesson. Mine seems tight at this time but you never know
        what you find.

        MMM - Mac 19 - "Fred" - MACP02921293
        "When I grow up I want to be a Mac 26M?"

        > Just a warning. My centerboard became loose because the pin holing
        > it to the hull had eroded the fiberglass in the centerboard. The
        > side to side motion of the board punched a hole in the hull inside
        > the centerboard well. The repair work was difficult. If anyone has a
        > similar problem and wants to hear what I learned during the repair,
        > let me know.
        > I would recommend frequent inspections of the centerboard and/or a
        > nodifacaction before damage is done. The repairs were fairly
        > extensive once the holes are in the hull.-Bob Stermer

      • angela michele
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
          I've opened up the ballast tank to recaulk the
          centerboard pivot and stop fittings but when the boat
          is on the trailer, how do you inspect the exterior/CD
          trunk to see if there's any wear? Mine sometimes acts
          funny as far as not going down but I assumed it was
          from side pressure while sailing. Mike

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
            I suspect you can remove the pivot bolt and the front of the board will come
            down. Try to slide it forward out of the slot. It is supported by the
            trailer less than half way from the tip - I think....

            MMM - Mac 19 - "Fred" - MACP02921293
            "When I grow up I want to be a Mac 26M?"

            > I've opened up the ballast tank to recaulk the
            > centerboard pivot and stop fittings but when the boat
            > is on the trailer, how do you inspect the exterior/CD
            > trunk to see if there's any wear? Mine sometimes acts
            > funny as far as not going down but I assumed it was
            > from side pressure while sailing. Mike

          • robertstermer
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
              The top ogfthe CB cut two halfmoons on the walls of the CB well. I
              dropped out the CB and found pretty large holes through the hull
              into the ballast tank. The holes were big enough that I had to patch
              them from the front and the back. I cut two circular holes to the
              ballast tank through the cabin floor so that I could have access. I
              patched the holes and I had stainless steel plates made and fitted
              them inside the CB well to protect the patch from the CB. I also
              fitted a larger bolt to hold the CB and I used large washers to try
              and keep the CB from swinging side to side.

              Everything Has worked so far. The only problem I have is that I had
              difficulty sealing the holes that I cut through the floor of the
              boat. There is a layer of balsa wood between the floor of the cabin
              and the top of the ballast tank which made it difficult to install
              the acccess port covers.

              Prevention is a much better option so take a good look at the walls
              of the CB well.-Bob
            • robertstermer
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
                The first Symptom I had was that my ballast tank would not stay
                empty. The second symptom was that when I pulled the boat out of the
                water a lot of water would pour out of the CB well. The CB fit
                snugly in the well and I could not see the sides of the well from
                under the boat. I dropped out the CB and found two halfmoon shaped
                holes in both sides of the CB well.-Bob
              • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 29, 2003
                  The ballast tank on my boat already has two round holes in it, with
                  fiberglass circles for covers that are held in place by caulk and 6 screws.
                  Didn't you boat have these? Or did you have to make additional bigger
                  holes?

                  I don't like having wood in the boat.

                  MMM - Mac 19 - "Fred" - MACP02921293
                  "When I grow up I want to be a Mac 26M?"

                  > The top ogfthe CB cut two halfmoons on the walls of the CB well. I
                  > dropped out the CB and found pretty large holes through the hull
                  > into the ballast tank. The holes were big enough that I had to patch
                  > them from the front and the back. I cut two circular holes to the
                  > ballast tank through the cabin floor so that I could have access. I
                  > patched the holes and I had stainless steel plates made and fitted
                  > them inside the CB well to protect the patch from the CB. I also
                  > fitted a larger bolt to hold the CB and I used large washers to try
                  > and keep the CB from swinging side to side.
                  >
                  > Everything Has worked so far. The only problem I have is that I had
                  > difficulty sealing the holes that I cut through the floor of the
                  > boat. There is a layer of balsa wood between the floor of the cabin
                  > and the top of the ballast tank which made it difficult to install
                  > the acccess port covers.
                  >
                  > Prevention is a much better option so take a good look at the walls
                  > of the CB well.-Bob

                • robertstermer
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 30, 2003
                    --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, <Mad_Mac_Mod@h...>
                    wrote:
                    > The ballast tank on my boat already has two round holes in it, with
                    > fiberglass circles for covers that are held in place by caulk and
                    6 screws.
                    > Didn't you boat have these? Or did you have to make additional
                    bigger
                    > holes?
                    >
                    > I don't like having wood in the boat.

                    I had the same setup when I bought my boat. In order to get to the
                    bolt that holds the CB you have to go through those plates. I
                    wrecked them when I tried to get them off. I replaced them with
                    stock access covers that unscew and let me examine the tank. I had
                    to increase the diameter of the hole very slightly (I used a
                    grinder). There is no wood between the layers at that point.
                    In order to repair the holes I had to cut two new holes futher aft
                    and slightly larger. I thought thatit would be the same as the
                    original access covers and did not expect the material sandwiched
                    between the floor and the top of the ballast tank. I do not know how
                    far the sandwich material extends._Bob Stermer
                  • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                      Were you able to see any of the damage through the factory access holes?

                      My trunk looked pretty solid as far as I could see. Ugly workmanship on the
                      glass layering but OK, though I didn't use a mirror or look too far back.

                      Replacing those access holes with stock screw on covers sounds like a great
                      idea.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                        The area that was eroded through was not visible through the access
                        holes. They could be seen with a mirror, but that would only be
                        after you have a hole in the hull.

                        The gap between the CB and the well is pretty tight, so it is hard
                        to inspect visually. The holes were cut by the bracket that is
                        attached to the CB cable and were "half moon" shaped about 6-8
                        inches above the CB bolt. I could not remove the CB with my boat on
                        the trailer, I did the work with the boat up on blocks at a boatyard.

                        I would say that you should inspect the bolt that holds the CB and
                        see if there is any erosion of the centerboard around the holes. If
                        the boat is in the water you could swim under and see how much
                        lateral movement the CB has.
                      • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 5, 2003
                          Yuck! There is no way I would have time to tackle a job like that if my
                          boat needed it.