Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: Horsepower/ motor experiences?

  • Bruce Kinzinger
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 10, 2013
      Awesome responses, guys. It's good to learn from your mistakes, and better to learn from others'. :). And successes, too of course.

      Hence, these forums are nice!  I appreciate the help.

      I'm really looking forward to knowing the boat better and better.  The Mac19 is a fun one.

      - Bruce.

      On Jul 10, 2013, at 11:33 AM, "Doug" <Doug_Cox@...> wrote:

      I agree with Dan, the Honda 50 with the centered tiller is my next motor. I currently have the orginal Tohatsu 40 with remote throttle and it's been great, but the cables for the throttle just hang there and look a little sloppy. Most 50hp's are 40hp's with different crank and jets so they're the same weight wise. Speaking of weight I would try and get the lightest one possible which is the Honda followed by the Tohatsu or Nissan as these boats are stern heavy with motor, fuel, and you all back there.
      Doug

      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, dan sullivan <sailhard@...> wrote:

      > IMO the best motor for the M19 is a Honda bf50 4 stroke with the long tiller. It's under 200 lbs and the centered tiller allows you to steer both ways for powering with rudders up. The gear shift, key and tilt/trim are all located on the long tiller so no strange reaching is required. You can use a 7, 8 or 9 pitch prop, depending on how heavy you plan to run....m19's are similar to pontoon boats in performace. You lose more top speed the lower the pitch, but you can reach max rpm when loaded.
      >

      > I have had no problems with my well drain..I always bring a small sink plunger with me to clear clogs and use a rod to get the mussels out at the end of the year.
      >

      > The factory video manual states "don't use more than a 40 hp", but I've seen one on ebay with a 120 hp installed...(I wouldn't want to blow out my transom) I have a BF40 only because that is all I could find used.. If you have remote steering/throttle you have more options, I'm not sure if the vtech fits under the stern rail. I would also recommend a jack plate as the M19 stern angle makes it hard to trim out at speed.
      >

      > good luck.
      >

      > To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
      > From: bruceck9@...
      > Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 00:22:22 -0400
      > Subject: [macgregor19sailboats] Horsepower/ motor experiences?
      >

      > We are looking at a new motor for our Mac 19. The 1993 40 hp Johnson 2 stroke has quirks and is not so reliable.
      >
      > I'm curious about what motors folks are using...
      >
      > Can you go to 50 or 60 hp? The Evinrude series has 40-60 hp all at 240#.
      >
      > Does this provide increased thrust/ speed?
      > Change in efficiency?
      >
      > Any prop recommendations for cruising v skiing/ tubing/ kneeboarding etc?
      >
      > Electric tilt/ trim implementation?
      >
      > Also, has anyone put in a more direct engine well drainage, rather than a tube going through the aft birth area?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any insights/ experiences.
      >
      > Bruce
      > North Star

    • Bruce Kinzinger
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 22, 2013
        I see the Honda is popular.  But the folks that did such good work for me in the past, and have made an offer on my old Johnson 40 deal with Mercury and Yamaha.

        I'm really more of a sailor guy, so I'm trying to figure out if these other motors would fit (like a 40 or 50 hp), or if one is a lot quieter/ noisier than the other?  Any experiences?  We do like to use the boat to do some kneeboarding/ waterskiing, too, so noise does matter for the family.

        Thanks, guys...

        Bruce

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 22, 2013
          I went to a large commecial fabric store and bought enough closed cell foam sheet material to line the cowling of my outboard, using contact cement to hold it in place and it reduces noise quite a bit. It might also be available on line.

> [...]

          > good luck.
          >

          > To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
          > From: bruceck9@...
          > Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 00:22:22 -0400
          > Subject: [macgregor19sailboats] Horsepower/ motor experiences?
          >

          > We are looking at a new motor for our Mac 19. The 1993 40 hp Johnson 2 stroke has quirks and is not so reliable.
          >
          > I'm curious about what motors folks are using...
          >
          > Can you go to 50 or 60 hp? The Evinrude series has 40-60 hp all at 240#.
          >
          > Does this provide increased thrust/ speed?
          > Change in efficiency?
          >
          > Any prop recommendations for cruising v skiing/ tubing/ kneeboarding etc?
          >
          > Electric tilt/ trim implementation?
          >
          > Also, has anyone put in a more direct engine well drainage, rather than a tube going through the aft birth area?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any insights/ experiences.

        • dan sullivan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 23, 2013
            Any 4 stroke will be much quieter than the 2 stroke, but full throttle is still loud.

            It looks like Yamaha and Merc both have an optional "do it all" tiller. ( hopefully centered?) I would investigate the the "Bigfoot" 60hp with the beefy lower unit...that would be the best for towing and you will need the power for the extra weight vs. a Honda.

            I assume that the merc 40/50/60 are the same engine wieght...

            http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/outboards/fourstrokes/40-60/

            I'd love to have 20 more HP...assuming your transom is in good shape and you only use full throttle on flatwater.

            Good luck, keep us posted. I'm curious if it will fit.

            To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com