Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: Mac 19 planing video

  • Shawn Martin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
      Thanks for the feedback.  Very much appreciated.  Hoping to get her out on the water by end of summer for a couple of test runs. Mostly inshore cruising.  Next year will be all the fit and finish for multiple day cruising offshore.  Cheers and happy solstice!

      From: drtubesocks@...
      Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:16:10 -0700

      Nice modifications guys.  Thanks for posting.  Getting ready to mount new honda bf50 to my mac 19 I bought last summer.  Have a 10' cmc jack plate I plan on using.  Especially appreciate the specs on prop pitch as I've been weighing heavily over what will work best.  Was thinking maybe a 10" pitch.  I also ordered some 5 degree shims to help with a bit of negative trim, as I heard awhile back that it will help to trim the bow down, due to the lack of angle at the transom.  If you don't mind me asking, what length of shaft are you guys using 20" or 25"?  I want to make sure that I don't get cavitation and/or ventilation in heavy seas, but I'm also trying to keep weight to a minimum.  Anybody rebuilt the water ballast gate valve?  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

      From: bruceck9@...
      Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 18:36:00 -0700

      Very nice video.

      My daughter just helped me install a bimini on Father's Day.  I like your bimini, too.

      I wonder, if there's a way to adjust your motor tilt so that it does not angle as far down, whether that would level you out some...  I'm primarily a sailor, but perhaps adjusting the motor mount could help your speed and efficiency.  I don't know...

      We just picked up a kneeboard today, and when I have enough time off the water, I'll upload a couple winter projects that came out nicely : )

      - Bruce
      North Star

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 25 4:03 PM
        Can you send photos of your bimini?  I'm in the process of making one and can always use more suggestions.  thanks, Mike

        The rudders are out of the water and don't drag at all.

        The nose goes up more than it did with the rudders down, so I put all my gear from the rear birth up in the nose.

        A friend shot the video from shore, it was too long so I just took a cam of a few minutes of it.

        I hope you all are getting out on your M19s!

        --- In mailto:macgregor19sailboats%40yahoogroups.com, "dans" <sailhard@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I discovered something the other day with my rudders.
        > In the manual, Macgregor shows that you put the steel bolts in the
        > lower holes and the breakable bolts inthe top holes. The also allows you to drill an additional hole in the rudder to pin the up while trailering, and also lends itself to the kickup design I've seen. This is fine, but the rudders in the pinned up position drag in the water too much and the "cut" in back of the rudders prevents them from being pulled up fully out of the way.
        >
        > I found that by puttimg the steel pivot bolts in the top holes, you can pull the rudders all the way up and out of the way for faster powering. ( like the M26 ) The cutout of the rudders fits perfect against the stern...I think this is what Macgregor originally had in mind. BTW, I didn't drill any more holes...I use a long bungie to hold the rudders up, and will put nylon bolts in the lower holes for sailing.
        >
        > Of course you need an outboard that can turn both ways to steer powering with the rudders up...

      • dan sullivan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 26 7:06 PM

          this is a pretty good shot of it...I think it was 34" high and 4 feet long and 72 inches wide.

          To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
          From: angelwilliams69@...
          Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 16:03:24 -0700