Mac 19 Rudders pivot pin position.

  • dans
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
      Hello,

      I discovered something the other day with my rudders.
      In the manual, Macgregor shows that you put the steel bolts in the
      lower holes and the breakable bolts inthe top holes. The also allows you to drill an additional hole in the rudder to pin the up while trailering, and also lends itself to the kickup design I've seen. This is fine, but the rudders in the pinned up position drag in the water too much and the "cut" in back of the rudders prevents them from being pulled up fully out of the way.

      I found that by puttimg the steel pivot bolts in the top holes, you can pull the rudders all the way up and out of the way for faster powering. ( like the M26 ) The cutout of the rudders fits perfect against the stern...I think this is what Macgregor originally had in mind. BTW, I didn't drill any more holes...I use a long bungie to hold the rudders up, and will put nylon bolts in the lower holes for sailing.

      Of course you need an outboard that can turn both ways to steer powering with the rudders up...
    • dans
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 20, 2013
        Sure enough, I picked up a few extra mph. 21+ mph in light chop w/ 40 hp Honda and 3 blade 9 pitch prop @5500 rpm.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08R_-0dbFVM

        The rudders are out of the water and don't drag at all.

        The nose goes up more than it did with the rudders down, so I put all my gear from the rear birth up in the nose.

        A friend shot the video from shore, it was too long so I just took a cam of a few minutes of it.

        I hope you all are getting out on your M19s!

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "dans" <sailhard@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I discovered something the other day with my rudders.
        > In the manual, Macgregor shows that you put the steel bolts in the
        > lower holes and the breakable bolts inthe top holes. The also allows you to drill an additional hole in the rudder to pin the up while trailering, and also lends itself to the kickup design I've seen. This is fine, but the rudders in the pinned up position drag in the water too much and the "cut" in back of the rudders prevents them from being pulled up fully out of the way.
        >
        > I found that by puttimg the steel pivot bolts in the top holes, you can pull the rudders all the way up and out of the way for faster powering. ( like the M26 ) The cutout of the rudders fits perfect against the stern...I think this is what Macgregor originally had in mind. BTW, I didn't drill any more holes...I use a long bungie to hold the rudders up, and will put nylon bolts in the lower holes for sailing.
        >
        > Of course you need an outboard that can turn both ways to steer powering with the rudders up...

      • Bruce Kinzinger
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 20, 2013
          Very nice video.

          My daughter just helped me install a bimini on Father's Day.  I like your bimini, too.

          I wonder, if there's a way to adjust your motor tilt so that it does not angle as far down, whether that would level you out some...  I'm primarily a sailor, but perhaps adjusting the motor mount could help your speed and efficiency.  I don't know...

          We just picked up a kneeboard today, and when I have enough time off the water, I'll upload a couple winter projects that came out nicely : )

          - Bruce
          North Star

          --- In mailto:macgregor19sailboats%40yahoogroups.com, "dans" <sailhard@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I discovered something the other day with my rudders.
          > In the manual, Macgregor shows that you put the steel bolts in the
          > lower holes and the breakable bolts inthe top holes. The also allows you to drill an additional hole in the rudder to pin the up while trailering, and also lends itself to the kickup design I've seen. This is fine, but the rudders in the pinned up position drag in the water too much and the "cut" in back of the rudders prevents them from being pulled up fully out of the way.
          >
          > I found that by puttimg the steel pivot bolts in the top holes, you can pull the rudders all the way up and out of the way for faster powering. ( like the M26 ) The cutout of the rudders fits perfect against the stern...I think this is what Macgregor originally had in mind. BTW, I didn't drill any more holes...I use a long bungie to hold the rudders up, and will put nylon bolts in the lower holes for sailing.
          >
          > Of course you need an outboard that can turn both ways to steer powering with the rudders up...

        • dan sullivan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 21, 2013
            Thanks Bruce!

            My bimini is small but it actually can be up while sailing. We love it. I want to make side curtains someday but don't really need them.

            The transom of the m19 is actually too flat to trim the outboard properly...the outboard leg actually hits it.

            I  already modded and installed a jack plate that allows both more forward trim and the motor can lift all the way up without hitting the motor well.  The trim angle is MUCH better now, ( you couldn't see forward unless someone was sitting on the bow with the original transom angle) but could be better...

            I also picked up a used spinnaker that I want to try and fly this year as well!

            Can't wait to see your mods!

            ds

            To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com

            The rudders are out of the water and don't drag at all.

            The nose goes up more than it did with the rudders down, so I put all my gear from the rear birth up in the nose.

            A friend shot the video from shore, it was too long so I just took a cam of a few minutes of it.

            I hope you all are getting out on your M19s!

            --- In mailto:macgregor19sailboats%40yahoogroups.com, "dans" <sailhard@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I discovered something the other day with my rudders.
            > In the manual, Macgregor shows that you put the steel bolts in the
            > lower holes and the breakable bolts inthe top holes. The also allows you to drill an additional hole in the rudder to pin the up while trailering, and also lends itself to the kickup design I've seen. This is fine, but the rudders in the pinned up position drag in the water too much and the "cut" in back of the rudders prevents them from being pulled up fully out of the way.
            >
            > I found that by puttimg the steel pivot bolts in the top holes, you can pull the rudders all the way up and out of the way for faster powering. ( like the M26 ) The cutout of the rudders fits perfect against the stern...I think this is what Macgregor originally had in mind. BTW, I didn't drill any more holes...I use a long bungie to hold the rudders up, and will put nylon bolts in the lower holes for sailing.
            >
            > Of course you need an outboard that can turn both ways to steer powering with the rudders up...

          • Shawn Martin
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 21, 2013
              Nice modifications guys.  Thanks for posting.  Getting ready to mount new honda bf50 to my mac 19 I bought last summer.  Have a 10' cmc jack plate I plan on using.  Especially appreciate the specs on prop pitch as I've been weighing heavily over what will work best.  Was thinking maybe a 10" pitch.  I also ordered some 5 degree shims to help with a bit of negative trim, as I heard awhile back that it will help to trim the bow down, due to the lack of angle at the transom.  If you don't mind me asking, what length of shaft are you guys using 20" or 25"?  I want to make sure that I don't get cavitation and/or ventilation in heavy seas, but I'm also trying to keep weight to a minimum.  Anybody rebuilt the water ballast gate valve?  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
                Hey, glad someone else has a pulse!

                That 50 Honda HP should be great! I was looking for a used one with the long tiller but could only find the 40.
                10 pitch should be fine with the extra 10 horses, but if you leave you boat in all season even with bottom paint, the slime buildup will slow you down BIG time unless you scrape it. The M19 really should be viewed as a pontoon boat when it comes to powering. Go fast in flat water, but In heavy seas fill the ballast and just go hull speed...like 10 mph.

                I have the 20" shaft and for the first 2 seasons I mounted it in the top mounting holes. ( lowest position ) To do this I had to rotate the ballast gate valve a few degrees so the Honda bracket wouldn't hit it...so you fill in the old holes and drill new ones. I also mounted a new valve with a long cable so I don't have to reach down to open it.

                Mounting the Honda in the top 2 holes means you can't raise the motor all the way up into the well...the tiller hits so you can't use the metal stays to hold the motor up so all the weight is on the power tilt/trim. This year I'm using the second set of holes and the motor comes up all of the way. This should take some stress off the power tilt as you can use the metal stops...mine failed this year I think from corrosion. (the bf40/50 design locates the relief valve BELOW the water line...duh) and I had to buy a new one for $970!  Anyway the cavitation plate is just about even with the bottom but we'll see how it goes. ( they say it should be 1 inch below) If you trailer your boat none of this matters....and if your jack plate adjusts up and down you can tweak it more than mine.  Not sure with the 25' shaft...I think it would be too long.

                good luck!

                To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
                From: drtubesocks@...
                Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:16:10 -0700

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
                  Thanks for the feedback.  Very much appreciated.  Hoping to get her out on the water by end of summer for a couple of test runs. Mostly inshore cruising.  Next year will be all the fit and finish for multiple day cruising offshore.  Cheers and happy solstice!

                  From: drtubesocks@...
                  Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:16:10 -0700

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 25, 2013
                    Can you send photos of your bimini?  I'm in the process of making one and can always use more suggestions.  thanks, Mike

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013

                      this is a pretty good shot of it...I think it was 34" high and 4 feet long and 72 inches wide.

                      To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
                      From: angelwilliams69@...
                      Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 16:03:24 -0700