Motor replacement

  • Buck
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2013
      Hi to all,
      I may have to replace my Tohatsu 40HP. What is the minimum horse power I can use that will get the M19 up on a plane? With two large people and gear.
      Thanks, Ron
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
        If you're going to replace it, go for a 50 hp, preferably a Honda 4 cycle,  but lots of bargain outboards out there used especially this time of year.   Even if you have to pay for a tune up, carb cleaning and new impeller, lots cheaper than a new one.  I replaced my 1993 40 hp with a used 1986 50 hp that had tilt and trim and a separate shifter/throttle control and have it hooked to the rudder system so rudders and motor all turn together. Probably added about 5 mph to the top speed plus the other features are nice.

        I don't think anything less than a 40 hp motors will get it to plane. I think the Mac videos showing them going over 20 mph use an empty new boat with some 10 year old kid running it.  Add the passengers, gas and all the gear and a non ideal prop and you can barely get it to plane with a 40 hp.

        I may have to replace my Tohatsu 40HP. What is the minimum horse power I can use that will get the M19 up on a plane? With two large people and gear.
        Thanks, Ron

      • Doug
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
          I agree with Mike, when I have to repower I will be going up to a 50. I don't think a 30 hp or less will get you on plane. Maybe a 35 if you are lightly loaded and the load is distributed well, at least 80% on the v berth. When powering we will gain almost 2 mph (gps) when my wife (135 lbs.) moves from the cockpit and goes below and sits on the edge of the v berth. The only thing I can offer is if you stick with a 40 try to get the lightest model available as they can range from around 200 to almost 300lbs.
          Doug

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1 3:34 PM
            The other aspect is prop choice.  A prop can get you up on plane faster vs. a higher top speed.  Also angle of the motor and possible use of a planing plate on the outboard or adjustable angle planes on the transom  like some power boats use to keep the bow down and get up on plane faster.  Lots of choices/decisions.