Gas Tanks

  • Sandra
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2012

      I bought my MacGregor 19 at the beginning of the summer and have plenty of opportunity to enjoy it.

      I was aware of most of its limitations before I bought it, but the challenge that I am facing at the moment is the limited range I get with the existing gas tanks (about 7 imperial gallons each) that fit in the two compartments under the seats on either side of the cockpit.

      The places that I want to go use more gas than I can hold in these tanks.  I have tried going slower and using less gas, sailing (on the rare occasion that he wind cooperates) and bringing an extra 5 gallon container, but these solutions do not help enough.

      We have some beautiful places here on the coast of BC, but many of them are remote and do not have services available.

      With such limited space in the boat, I am finding it difficult to figure out where to put more gas without interfering with some other function of the boat.

      Has anyone else come up with a creative solution?  I’m thinking of towing a dinghy and putting gas containers in it??

      I would love to hear any ideas that you might have.

      Thank you for your assistance.

    • dan sullivan
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 17, 2012
        When I sold my tohatsu 40 hp 2 stroke and got a honda 40 hp 4 stroke, my overall fuel economy more than doubled.

        If you can find discontinued Tempo 9 gallon tanks I hear they fit perfectly under the seats.

        I installed a swim platform on the starboard stern and you could easily strap a miltary style jerry can to it.

        Good luck.

        To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 17, 2012

          Thanks for the suggestions.  I had thought about a swim platform and I think that is a really good idea.  I’ve also thought about replacing the motor, but I’m not willing to spend the money right now, but I’m impressed that it doubled your fuel economy.  That would be a huge improvement in range that I can go.

          Thanks again for your suggestions.

          Sandra