Rudder replacement

  • m19nevertheless
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2012
      I broke my rudders on a boat ramp. It was a very steep ramp with a sharp dropoff. While they are still useable/repairable they are not great rudders to start with, tacking even in good wind is painful. Does anyone have feedback about the Ruddercraft (idasailor) rudders. Also is does anyone have good information for mods to easily raise/lower the rudders.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2012
        I got the first set of Idasailor rudders. They used mine as the template.  IMO, they are about 2" too long, so one has to be careful when using them. And with time and sun the two halves separated somewhat on each rudder. Fix the standard ones if you can.

        I use a nylon removable bolt on the as a breakaway.  When I stow the rudders up for travel, I put in brass.

        Ron

        "To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone."
        Reba McEntire
        <>< Click here to visit the family web site...

        I broke my rudders on a boat ramp. It was a very steep ramp with a sharp dropoff. While they are still useable/repairable they are not great rudders to start with, tacking even in good wind is painful. Does anyone have feedback about the Ruddercraft (idasailor) rudders. Also is does anyone have good information for mods to easily raise/lower the rudders.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            macgregor19sailboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
            macgregor19sailboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • dan sullivan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2012
          Did you miss the memo about using shearpins of some sort? That's a big oops... if you hit something powering fast you could wreck the boat and sink.

          Highlander got the idasail rudders and cliamed they were lighter and pointed better. They are bigger though so you will lose speed motoring due to drag.

          Look in the pictures section for pop up rudder mod. I haven't done it and just use cheap nylon 3/8 bolts from home depot.

          Mac 19's only tack/jibe with VERY little rudder in a HUGE arc...too much rudder and it slows you down too much to get through the turn..

          To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2012
            I was using the brass bolts that came with the boat that are supposed to act as shear pins. They bent, but the top of the rudder broke.
            I can't access any of the members only stuff. I guess I am not a member. I checked the macgregorowners.com site and there are no M19 mods listed.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2012
              The rudders broke around the brass shear bolt. They did not crack nicely, but instead seemed to break into a loose crushed gravel of resin chunks. THere seems to be very little glass fiber in there at all.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2012
                Wow, that stinks...you had shear rudders!

                If I had to buy rudders I'd get the idas... especially since you want to optimized for sailing.

                I'll email you the pop up rudder pics of the mod.

                To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
                From: sfaurschou@...
                Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 22:53:53 +0000
                Subject: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: Rudder replacement

              • henry.ning@sympatico.ca
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2012

                  In the future, I would advise you to use the nylon bolts as suggested.

                  Regards,
                  Henry

                  To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
                  From: sfaurschou@...