Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Centerboard loose

  • angela michele
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 30, 2003
      Why not just put some rubber foam padding with or
      without carpet over the crossbrace under the CB? I've
      had slight problems getting it up or down at times
      but one time a 1/2" diameter twig stuck in between the
      board and trunk keeping it up. After some bad
      sailing, it took me 15 minutes of prying with a
      special tool I made to remove it while it was on the
      trailer because it was jammed so tight.

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1, 2003
        Most CB's are hard to haul up unless you are pointing into the wind or close
        to it or going downwind. i.e. with the wind directly off the beam I can't
        get mine up either - the CB that is. Heard lots of others comment on this
        with Mac 26X's as well.

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 1, 2003
          Maybe we should try spraying silicone on the board and
          in the trunk or other means of reducing friction? KY
          jelly is too expensive and is water soluble-(heard
          about the blond in the hospital who said everything
          was fine except for the "Kentucky Jelly" which didn't
          taste very good? At least she knew some of her state
          abbreviations. Usuallly it's just easier to point up
          into the wind for a moment, then get the board down.
          I'm working on a revised, extensive boat checklist.
          Mine plus suggestions from other Yahoo sailing groups.
          I'll post to files. I forgot to add, "release
          centerboard line/drop rudders after launching"

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 1, 2003
            Just modified my old boating checklist (below) after
            inputs from several other Yahoo sailing groups. Let
            me know if you have any additions or corrections
            before I post it to files.

            Went sailing on Lake Erie last Tuesday on a friends
            Oday 24 wih winged keel. Nice sail with perfect
            weather and the boat's nice if you want to keep a boat
            in a marina and don't ever need to exceed 6 knots or
            enter shallow water. We're planning a trip to the
            Erie Islands sometime in August. He'll sail for 9
            hours to get there. I'll drive for less than two,
            launch and sail out 5 miles to meet him and spend the
            extra time exploring the islands. Let me know if
            anyone wants to join us.

            Fellow in NJ has a Mac 17 for sale for about $3500 if
            someone can't afford a 19. Invited him to join us.

            happy sailing, Mike Fortuna

            BOATING CHECKLIST

            BEFORE ARRIVAL
            �Food, Snacks, Drinks, Cooler, Extra hats or caps,
            �Spare sunglasses, Sunblock, extra clothes/raingear,
            if weather turns
            � Aspirin, anti�diarreal pills, decongestant,
            antihistimine pills,Dramamine or Ginger(for
            motionsickness. May already be on boat)
            �Money &/or Charge Cards, Marina Gate key. or pass to
            MetroPark, etc.
            �Storm Whistle tied to all life jackets, $4.50 each at
            walmart, they work even when submerged, loudest
            whistle on planet. Bright clothes for visibility in
            water.
            � Float plan with someone staying at on shore.� If you
            go overdue, they can call coast guard.� Should have
            description of boat, launch site, planned route.
            �Bring phone numbers of C.G., towing services, local
            marina to call for help, etc.
            � paddle or oars, they are great for maneuvering in
            tight places
            � 2 anchors, if something fails, great to have plenty
            of time to fix it
            while swinging on anchor
            � plenty of water
            � flash lights, because the wind doesn't cooperate,
            but the sun goes down like clockwork. Spare batteries
            & bulb for the flash light(s) or lantern.
            �Basic tools and spare small spare parts
            �Marine radio. Fixed and or handheld for backup,
            convenience w/weather radio and waterproof
            instructions for use if it's a newer complicated unit.
            �Water proof container for ID, boat registration,
            proof of insurance and other such personal items.
            �Clear screw top container(s) from Walmart/Tupperware,
            etc. Fanny pack with wallet, keys, cell phone etc goes
            into the container, and a COPY of the float plan
            (original goes to someone responsible on shore) goes
            inside so the data shows thru the container.� Has the
            cell phone numbers of everyone I am sailing with,
            their next of kin, etc. very convenient to
            ship�to�ship call everyone else.
            �Make sure all quipment not in use is secured to the
            boat or safely inside if cabin or cutty
            �Consider a bucket with sealing lid.�Or can be used as
            Porta Potty in emergency. I've been tossed into the
            water twice, had the bucket, and the leash kept it
            from leaving the boat.� However didn't have my regluar
            paddle, had a spare that didn't have a leash, and it
            went swimming.
            �Knife to cut rigging if it should become tangled from
            a failure.
            �Really should consider a fixed blade kayak knife that
            is attached to your
            lifejacket (maybe make a pocket for it on life vest or
            belt holder for safety).� Very handy, and deploys in a
            fraction of a second.�� Last time
            had to use it, another guy was fiddling for his pocket
            knife on a string, I
            chopped the line long before he even got it out of his
            pocket.
            � first aid kit
            � mosquito repellant
            � lanterns with citranilla oil (for over nighting)
            � a couple of small towels for the cockpit are nice
            � fenders
            � boat hook
            � compass and a backup or GPS with charts on bigger
            water
            � flare gun (not required but smart)
            � horn (required)
            � fire extinguisher (required)
            � marine electrical connector /match dock amperage if
            staying overnight at dock

            BEFORE DEPARTURE
            �Unlock rear hatch. Clean cockpit, etc, remove bugs,
            etc. Unconnect trailer wiring,
            �Check Motor Oil, Gas, Tools for emergency repairs,
            Loose Fasteners or lines, tangled rigging, weather
            forecast, Check Radios, Batteries, Cell Phone &Charge
            Cord, �Charts, Phone numbers.
            �Life Devices easily Accessible, Drain any Water in
            Bilges, Install cushions.
            �Rudders partially down if in shallow water, full down
            in deeper water or when sailing.
            �Make sure centerboard 's not jammed. 1/4 down when
            motoring, full under sail
            Stow anything that might fall, out
            �Check Water level in Water Ballast Tank (Macs)(within
            3" of Air Valve), Both valves closed. Empty ballast
            if motoring with small crew, smooth water. Full
            Ballast while sailing, or in rough waters or with
            larger crew.
            �Passport , drivers License or two other pieces of
            picture ID. Customs forms if going into Canadian
            waters and touching land. Find US customs location
            when returning. Places like Put�In�Bay have a US
            Customs video booth manned 24/7
            �Check steering, gas levels, start and idle motor til
            warmed up, cast off
            �Check lights if possible after dark operation
            �Make sure trailer is securely locked to vehicle,
            raise mast, launch boat, tie to dock, get sails, seat
            cushions ready.
            �Throwable ring/horseshoe or cushion and life vests
            accessible, preferably worn.
            � Unbolt rudders and lock centerboard up while
            launching. Release centerboard line/drop & lock
            rudders after launching

            ***MAKE SURE BOAT IS UNTIED FROM TRAILER BEFORE
            LAUNCHING!!

            AFTER SAILING�ARRIVAL AT OVERNIGHT DOCK
            �Blow water ballast (Mac), Tie Up, Dry sails if wet,
            furl and cover, remove exterior cushions, coil and
            stow /tie all lines, remove personal stuff, cell phone
            and trash, make sure power is off, connect to electric
            power if available, store motor key in blue bag near
            sink, check tie lines, spring line, bumpers, lock
            boat, have a beer!

            AFTER ARRIVAL AT LAUNCH SITE
            �Tie boat to dock, drop and tie sails, get trailer(two
            people) while stowing sails, store exterior equipment,
            crank boat on to trailer, lock/bolt rudders up secure
            hatches, connect trailer wiring, tie down boat and
            drop mast. Finish draining water ballast, secure all
            rigging for traveling, have a beer!

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 1, 2003
              My short checklist and rigging instructions are in the files area
              under Rigging the Mac19. Angela is would be nice if you took your
              checklist/instruction and uploaded them in a .doc or something with
              format. Anyone else with checklists or rigging instructions be do
              the same. Everyone does things differently, some methods better than
              others. It is nice to have alternatives.

              I shall also upload my 1 sheet (2 sides) of what to do in an
              emergency (In Case of Emergency Rev B.doc). One one side is the
              emergency side with instructions on PDFs, what to do if you fall in
              the water, motor use, gps, etc. (I lifted this idea from an Mac26X
              user.) The other side is info on the Mac19 and general
              sailing/sailboat info. This was my own creation.

              Happy sails!
              Ron
            • schyf
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 1, 2003
                Those bolts run directly into the ballast tank? Looks like the bolt
                that holds the pulley system on mine has a hole next to it. I'm
                gonna fill the tank up using my garden hose tonight and see if she
                leaks. I noticed I had a lot of water in my ballast tank last time I
                hauled her out...and I hadn't opened the valve.

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 4, 2003
                  The garden hose is a good idea - I did the same. I'll bet you that you get
                  plenty of leakage. Yes, the bolts run right through the tank. Mine had
                  rotted rubber bushings and large washers. I could not find bushings so I
                  took out the bushings and gooped up the inner face of the washers with lots
                  of 5200 and made a nice mess on the bolt head and nut. looking from
                  underneath, I can actually see some that seeped around the bolt on one side.

                  No other holes near my pivot hole but I should have put 5200 on that as
                  well. The old caulk is drying out and flaking. I may put some on the
                  outside and open up the tank again this winter.

                  My CB feels tight on the trailer - I can't rattle it with my hand at least.
                  I do see some wear marks on the hull and may want to P-tex or coat it some
                  way.

                  MMM - Mac 19 - "Fred" - MACP02921293
                  "When I grow up I want to be a Mac 26M?"

                  > Those bolts run directly into the ballast tank? Looks like the bolt
                  > that holds the pulley system on mine has a hole next to it. I'm
                  > gonna fill the tank up using my garden hose tonight and see if she
                  > leaks. I noticed I had a lot of water in my ballast tank last time I
                  > hauled her out...and I hadn't opened the valve.

                • Stephen Schyf

                    > Those bolts run directly into the ballast tank? Looks like the bolt
                    > that holds the pulley system on mine has a hole next to it. I'm
                    > gonna fill the tank up using my garden hose tonight and see if she
                    > leaks. I noticed I had a lot of water in my ballast tank last time I
                    > hauled her out...and I hadn't opened the valve.

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/A1TolB/TM

                  • angela michele
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 5, 2003
                      I haven't been able to find the handairpump I used
                      last season when I was in a hurry to empty the ballast
                      tank but it speeds up the process. I even thought
                      about using my compressed air tank but it takes up too
                      much space, Boat load, speed and time are the normal
                      variables for emptying the ballast tank put you can
                      pressurize it to speed it up. Mike

                      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                    • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 6, 2003
                        Next time leave her full when you come in and pop her on the trailer and
                        haul out. When I do that I get plenty of leakage in the CB. Some is from
                        the CB itself (has holes in it) but I think some is from the tank. When it
                        slows from the CB slot I open the rear valve and wash the ramp for another
                        few minutes. (Do this only at a low traffic ramp). It's an amazing amount of
                        water.

                        I hear the valve is from an RV holding tank (sewage). They might be able to
                        help with washers/parts.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 20, 2003
                          Just a warning. My centerboard became loose because the pin holing
                          it to the hull had eroded the fiberglass in the centerboard. The
                          side to side motion of the board punched a hole in the hull inside
                          the centerboard well. The repair work was difficult. If anyone has a
                          similar problem and wants to hear what I learned during the repair,
                          let me know.
                          I would recommend frequent inspections of the centerboard and/or a
                          nodifacaction before damage is done. The repairs were fairly
                          extensive once the holes are in the hull.-Bob Stermer
                        • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 21, 2003
                            I plan dropping the CB for inspection this winter but would appreciate
                            hearing about your lesson. Mine seems tight at this time but you never know
                            what you find.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
                              I've opened up the ballast tank to recaulk the
                              centerboard pivot and stop fittings but when the boat
                              is on the trailer, how do you inspect the exterior/CD
                              trunk to see if there's any wear? Mine sometimes acts
                              funny as far as not going down but I assumed it was
                              from side pressure while sailing. Mike

                              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                            • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                                I suspect you can remove the pivot bolt and the front of the board will come
                                down. Try to slide it forward out of the slot. It is supported by the
                                trailer less than half way from the tip - I think....

                                MMM - Mac 19 - "Fred" - MACP02921293
                                "When I grow up I want to be a Mac 26M?"

                                > I've opened up the ballast tank to recaulk the
                                > centerboard pivot and stop fittings but when the boat
                                > is on the trailer, how do you inspect the exterior/CD
                                > trunk to see if there's any wear? Mine sometimes acts
                                > funny as far as not going down but I assumed it was
                                > from side pressure while sailing. Mike

                              • robertstermer
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
                                  The top ogfthe CB cut two halfmoons on the walls of the CB well. I
                                  dropped out the CB and found pretty large holes through the hull
                                  into the ballast tank. The holes were big enough that I had to patch
                                  them from the front and the back. I cut two circular holes to the
                                  ballast tank through the cabin floor so that I could have access. I
                                  patched the holes and I had stainless steel plates made and fitted
                                  them inside the CB well to protect the patch from the CB. I also
                                  fitted a larger bolt to hold the CB and I used large washers to try
                                  and keep the CB from swinging side to side.

                                  Everything Has worked so far. The only problem I have is that I had
                                  difficulty sealing the holes that I cut through the floor of the
                                  boat. There is a layer of balsa wood between the floor of the cabin
                                  and the top of the ballast tank which made it difficult to install
                                  the acccess port covers.

                                  Prevention is a much better option so take a good look at the walls
                                  of the CB well.-Bob
                                • robertstermer
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
                                    The first Symptom I had was that my ballast tank would not stay
                                    empty. The second symptom was that when I pulled the boat out of the
                                    water a lot of water would pour out of the CB well. The CB fit
                                    snugly in the well and I could not see the sides of the well from
                                    under the boat. I dropped out the CB and found two halfmoon shaped
                                    holes in both sides of the CB well.-Bob
                                  • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 29, 2003
                                      The ballast tank on my boat already has two round holes in it, with
                                      fiberglass circles for covers that are held in place by caulk and 6 screws.
                                      Didn't you boat have these? Or did you have to make additional bigger
                                      holes?

                                      I don't like having wood in the boat.

                                      MMM - Mac 19 - "Fred" - MACP02921293
                                      "When I grow up I want to be a Mac 26M?"

                                      > The top ogfthe CB cut two halfmoons on the walls of the CB well. I
                                      > dropped out the CB and found pretty large holes through the hull
                                      > into the ballast tank. The holes were big enough that I had to patch
                                      > them from the front and the back. I cut two circular holes to the
                                      > ballast tank through the cabin floor so that I could have access. I
                                      > patched the holes and I had stainless steel plates made and fitted
                                      > them inside the CB well to protect the patch from the CB. I also
                                      > fitted a larger bolt to hold the CB and I used large washers to try
                                      > and keep the CB from swinging side to side.
                                      >
                                      > Everything Has worked so far. The only problem I have is that I had
                                      > difficulty sealing the holes that I cut through the floor of the
                                      > boat. There is a layer of balsa wood between the floor of the cabin
                                      > and the top of the ballast tank which made it difficult to install
                                      > the acccess port covers.
                                      >
                                      > Prevention is a much better option so take a good look at the walls
                                      > of the CB well.-Bob

                                    • robertstermer
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 30, 2003
                                        wrote:
                                        > The ballast tank on my boat already has two round holes in it, with
                                        > fiberglass circles for covers that are held in place by caulk and
                                        6 screws.
                                        > Didn't you boat have these? Or did you have to make additional
                                        bigger
                                        > holes?
                                        >
                                        > I don't like having wood in the boat.

                                        I had the same setup when I bought my boat. In order to get to the
                                        bolt that holds the CB you have to go through those plates. I
                                        wrecked them when I tried to get them off. I replaced them with
                                        stock access covers that unscew and let me examine the tank. I had
                                        to increase the diameter of the hole very slightly (I used a
                                        grinder). There is no wood between the layers at that point.
                                        In order to repair the holes I had to cut two new holes futher aft
                                        and slightly larger. I thought thatit would be the same as the
                                        original access covers and did not expect the material sandwiched
                                        between the floor and the top of the ballast tank. I do not know how
                                        far the sandwich material extends._Bob Stermer
                                      • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 1, 2003
                                          Were you able to see any of the damage through the factory access holes?

                                          My trunk looked pretty solid as far as I could see. Ugly workmanship on the
                                          glass layering but OK, though I didn't use a mirror or look too far back.

                                          Replacing those access holes with stock screw on covers sounds like a great
                                          idea.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
                                            The area that was eroded through was not visible through the access
                                            holes. They could be seen with a mirror, but that would only be
                                            after you have a hole in the hull.

                                            The gap between the CB and the well is pretty tight, so it is hard
                                            to inspect visually. The holes were cut by the bracket that is
                                            attached to the CB cable and were "half moon" shaped about 6-8
                                            inches above the CB bolt. I could not remove the CB with my boat on
                                            the trailer, I did the work with the boat up on blocks at a boatyard.

                                            I would say that you should inspect the bolt that holds the CB and
                                            see if there is any erosion of the centerboard around the holes. If
                                            the boat is in the water you could swim under and see how much
                                            lateral movement the CB has.
                                          • Mad_Mac_Mod@hotmail.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 5, 2003
                                              Yuck! There is no way I would have time to tackle a job like that if my
                                              boat needed it.