bilge

  • Sharon Darley
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2012
      Hi,

      I am new to sailing and bought my Mac 19 in the fall of 2011.  Forgive the dumb question, but where is the bilge tank?  I can hear my pumps somewhere under the cockpit but can't see any drain plugs or where the water is.  I'd like to be able to tell whether or not the bilge has water in it.  Again, sorry I know this is so basic, but it is puzzling me!

      Thanks!
      Sharon
    • Capt. Randy
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2012
        Hi Sharon, sorry there is no bilge tank on the Mac 19. Under the cabin floor there is a 100 gallon ballast tank that you can fill with water to add weight to the bottom of the boat so she can sail more up right when it is windy. It has nothing to do with your bilge pumps.

        To let air out of the tank when filling it or to let air into the tank when draining it there is a vent with a plug under the round black cover in the floor just below the step. It is above the water line so water will not come in when you open it. stick your finger in the vent or just look to see if the tank is full.

        The other ballast tank vent (drain) is low on the outside of the transom and connected to the tank by a tunnel that runs aft down the keel. This vent has a handle to open or close it on the port side at the water line by the outboard. You have to reach way down to get to it.

        To fill the tank, open both vents when the boat is stopped or very slow. Then wait a few minutes then close both vents. To empty the tank, open both vents and run the boat above 10 mph a few minutes so the suction at the back of the boat drains the water out then close the transom vent before slowing down. I leave the air vent open when the tank is empty to save a step. When you pull the boat out on the trailer open both vents and let the 100 gal.s (800 lb.s) out before driving around.

        If your tank is full the boat won't go very fast and that might answer your other question as well. Most Mac 19s don't have bilge drains in the transom to let water out of the bilge.
        If you didn't get an owners manual there is one posted on this site. Let us know how this turns out. Capt. Randy

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Darley <sdarley1@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am new to sailing and bought my Mac 19 in the fall of 2011.  Forgive the dumb question, but where is the bilge tank?  I can hear my pumps somewhere under the cockpit but can't see any drain plugs or where the water is.  I'd like to be able to tell whether or not the bilge has water in it.  Again, sorry I know this is so basic, but it is puzzling me!
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Sharon

      • dan sullivan
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2012
          Hi Sharon,

          If you hear pumps running under the cockpit, someone must have added bilge pumps. There are 2 wooden access panels under the rear birth that access the bilge. Bilge pumps were not standard equipment on the m19 but should have been. I added mine just like highlander did  with his mod. ( see link)  If you hear the pumps running a lot you may have a leak somewhere, or it could be rainwater getting in the deck fittings like it does with mine.  I use a shop wac to empty the bilge completely.

          http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/index.php?view=885

          To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com