mast raising winch

  • billeckerly@q.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2012

      I'm considering buying a Macgregor 19 from a neighbor but am concerned about my ability to raise the mast.  The boat would be trailered rather than moored, so mast raising and lowering would need to be done on each sailing trip.

      The boat does have a block and tackle arrangement to raise the mast but I'm wondering if anyone out there has used the Macgregor winch system to raise the mast which is available on Macgregor 26 boats.  If so, was this system reasonably easy to install and use?

      I'll appreciate any information on this.

      billeckerly@...

    • Scott Rounds
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2012
        I’ve had a block and tackle mast raising system for my Mac 19 for 3 years now and it works quite well.  I recently, for grand total of a $15 investment, modified this system with a hand winch and it is so much quicker and simpler than the block and tackle...I wish I would done it sooner.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2012
          Hi,

          Here is a link to pictures (and info) on my mast raising system:

          http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1224284747161.27029.1830278817&type=3&l=1de032800f

          This is also somewhere in the group's documents.

          Ron

          I'm considering buying a Macgregor 19 from a neighbor but am concerned about my ability to raise the mast.  The boat would be trailered rather than moored, so mast raising and lowering would need to be done on each sailing trip.

          The boat does have a block and tackle arrangement to raise the mast but I'm wondering if anyone out there has used the Macgregor winch system to raise the mast which is available on Macgregor 26 boats.  If so, was this system reasonably easy to install and use?

          I'll appreciate any information on this.

        • Ed Pentico
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2012
            Bill, I use the 26M system on my 26D and it works very well.  My 9-year-old daughter would beg me to raise the mast by herself, once I connected the winch rig.  You may need to replacement deck plates with newer units that have hinge-bolt holes in the front.  Bluewater Yachts: http://www.bwyachts.com/ is the place to call for help and parts.  I am not related to BWY or get anything by recommending them, but have had excellent service the few times I needed something.  If I get a 19 I will put this system on the boat so I can raise it myself as I do on my 26D.

            Ed Pentico
            1987 26D
            San Diego