RE: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: Macgregor 19 yacht club

  • Richard Norman
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011

      Well, it takes ll kinds.  You can find snobs and great folk just about anywhere you look.

      Richard Norman

      S/V Silver Lining

      Tellico Lake, TN

      865-408-7307

      http://telliconormans.com/WP/

      http://kiva.org/invitedby/richard9697

      From: Richard <cmtpres@...>
      To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, November 5, 2011, 8:49 AM

      I am a member of the Tellico Village Yacht Club in Loudon , TN. My little M19 is quite comfortable among the big boys and when I pull up to the fuel dock, some of them get downright envious.

      We have everything from 15 footers to one 80 footer and I have never seen any "Snobbery", we all have boating in common.

      Richard Norman
      S/V Silver Lining

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011
        Sometimes we sailors do feel a bit above most power boaters, especially when they're rude, noisy, reckless or just stupid.

        We took our Mac to Douglas Lake a few years ago near where my cousin lives in Sevierville near Pidgeon Forge, Tennessee and had a funny/sad incident.  The ramp to the reservoir/lake is really long and concrete.  Just as we were launching, some idiot rednecks were rescued by the lake rangers.  Their powerboat had a big leak and had been sinking fast.  They ended up at the bottom of the ramp with their boat upside down.  Instead of righting  it with my offer of help and getting the trailer down the ramp, they dragged it up the whole ramp and ground off the top of their outboard plus other parts of the boat??

        One thing about sailboats. Really dumb sailors can't figure out how to make them "go" so they stick with powerboats and often irritate us or create some humor like the first time boater who didn't remove the trailer from the boat while launching and wondered why his boat was so slow (with the trailer still attached).

        Or the youtube video showing someone backing a van into a lake in order to get their jet ski into the van directly from the water and the van sinking completely into the lake, or the power boater who drove his truck into the lake nose first with the boat behind the truck??

        When I was a boat dealer we actually had some power boat customers who couldn't figure out how to use the throttle lever so we charged them to install a foot pedal, often shaped like a real foot in chrome.  Of course, putting the boat in reverse became a challenge.