Macgregor 19 yacht club

  • Michael F
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
      Does anyone have any interest in our becoming a yacht club? I used to belong to several over the years and one benefit is the reciprocity offered by other yacht clubs when traveling. Not sure what's involved other than getting the name. We could even order small Birgees to fly on our mast and have membership cards. Since we wouldn't have a clubhouse, etc. our fees would be zero.

      Some of you may already belong to a local yacht club. but let me know what you think. Mike
    • Capt. Randy
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
        Mike, just to be clear, you are proposing turning are yahoo group with members all over the world into a yacht club with birgees and membership cards and zero fees so some of us might get reciprocity benefits offered by other clubs. As our "club" wouldn't have any benefits to offer their members in return it would seem fraudulent to me. Also the Mac19 is a trailer boat not not a yacht. Sorry, that is what I think. Capt. Randy

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
          It may be a foolish idea or not.  I just checked with the National Yacht Club organization-Yachting Club of America (http://www.ycaol.com/) and they want yearly dues of $500 to belong.Don't know how many clubs don't belong to the national.

           I wasn't proposing changing the yahoo group.  But if enough members were interested, we could pursue the idea. Yacht club doesn't exclude trailerable boats and there might be other benefits-discounts available to members, etc.

            If you've never belonged to a Yacht Club, you didn't have the advantage of reciprocity-being able to go to almost any Yacht Club and utilize their facilities: meals, drinks, dockage, etc.  It's probably cheaper for most people to join a local yacht club.  When I belonged to West Shore Yacht Club out of Wyandotte, dues were only $30/year since we met in a local restaurant and didn't have a club house.

          Mike, just to be clear, you are proposing turning are yahoo group with members all over the world into a yacht club with birgees and membership cards and zero fees so some of us might get reciprocity benefits offered by other clubs. As our "club" wouldn't have any benefits to offer their members in return it would seem fraudulent to me. Also the Mac19 is a trailer boat not not a yacht. Sorry, that is what I think. Capt. Randy

          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Michael F" <angelwilliams69@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have any interest in our becoming a yacht club? I used to belong to several over the years and one benefits the reciprocity offered by other yacht clubs when traveling. Not sure what's involved other than getting the name. We could even order small Birgees to fly on our mast and have membership cards. Since we wouldn't have a clubhouse, etc. our fees would be zero.
          >
          > Some of you may already belong to a local yacht club. but let me know what you think. Mike

        • Jody
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
            It seems like it would be fun - I wonder how yatch clubs would react to a Mac 19 in their midst.

            --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, mike fortuna <angelwilliams69@...> wrote:

            > It may be a foolish idea or not.  I just checked with the National Yacht Club organization-Yachting Club of America (http://www.ycaol.com/) and they want yearly dues of $500 to belong.Don't know how many clubs don't belong to the national.
            >  I wasn't proposing changing the yahoo group.  But if enough members were interested, we could pursue the idea. Yacht club doesn't exclude trailerable boats and there might be other benefits-discounts available to members, etc.
            >   If you've never belonged to a Yacht Club, you didn't have the advantage of reciprocity-being able to go to almost any Yacht Club and utilize their facilities: meals, drinks, dockage, etc.  It's probably cheaper for most people to join a local yacht club.  When I belonged to West Shore Yacht Club out of Wyandotte, dues were only $30/year since we met in a local restaurant and didn't have a club house.

          • Richard
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 5, 2011
              I am a member of the Tellico Village Yacht Club in Loudon, TN. My little M19 is quite comfortable among the big boys and when I pull up to the fuel dock, some of them get downright envious.

              We have everything from 15 footers to one 80 footer and I have never seen any "Snobbery", we all have boating in common.

              Richard Norman
              S/V Silver Lining

              > It seems like it would be fun - I wonder how yatch clubs would react to a Mac 19 in their midst.

            • John Spalvins
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 5, 2011
                I had my M19 at Arey's Pond for a season in Dennis on Cape Cod, and boy, you talk about snobbery!! It wasn't a yacht club per se, but I was treated as an alien since my M19 was a powerboat and a sailboat. The majority of boats were catboats (very common on the East Coast) and if you didn't believe in their way of sailing, you were considered unworthy. Maybe sailors on the Cape are snobs and elsewhere things are different, but I certainly will not ever take my M19 there again!

                I am a member of the Tellico Village Yacht Club in Loudon, TN. My little M19 is quite comfortable among the big boys and when I pull up to the fuel dock, some of them get downright envious.

                We have everything from 15 footers to one 80 footer and I have never seen any "Snobbery", we all have boating in common.

                Richard Norman
                S/V Silver Lining

                > It seems like it would be fun - I wonder how yatch clubs would react to a Mac 19 in their midst.

              • Doug
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 6, 2011
                  I'm a member of the Macgregor Yacht Club of British Columbia (www.MYCBC.ca). Dues are $25 a year and like Mike we also don't have a clubhouse and meet at a local restaurant. At most marine stores, some marinas, and other yacht clubs you will get discounts and or access to facilities just because you are a card carrying member of a club and not just some yahoo (sorry about the pun) with a cooler of beer, a 500hp motor and no seamanship knowledge what so ever. I'm all for a Mac 19 club.
                  Doug

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011
                    About 8 years ago I ran into a swimmer who had an attractive  swimsuit that said Macgregor 19.  He couldn't remember where he got it  and didn't even have a boat, but I thought it was neat.  Guess I'd rather have membership cards and mast head Birgees which I'm sure we can order online and some other benefits all in a no cost yacht club.  Anyone want to design a membership card we can all copy and a Birgee?  M19YC in a triangle?

                    Maybe I'll contact Macgregor Yachts in CA and ask if they have any fun items we can order.  Even though 19's have been out of production for 16 years it might still be good publicity for them.  Many of their early boats were of poor construction and poor performance but the 19 was the start of reasonably high quality, unique design and outstanding performance under power, if not under sail in light conditions.  We may not tack as well as an America's Cup boat but for the $, we're still a super bargain.

                    I'm a member of the Macgregor Yacht Club of British Columbia (www.MYCBC.ca). Dues are $25 a year and like Mike we also don't have a clubhouse and meet at a local restaurant. At most marine stores, some marinas, and other yacht clubs you will get discounts and or access to facilities just because you are a card carrying member of a club and not just some yahoo (sorry about the pun) with a cooler of beer, a 500hp motor and no seamanship knowledge what so ever. I'm all for a Mac 19 club.
                    Doug

                    --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <cmtpres@...> wrote:

                    > I am a member of the Tellico Village Yacht Club in Loudon, TN. My little M19 is quite comfortable among the big boys and when I pull up to the fuel dock, some of them get downright envious.
                    >
                    > We have everything from 15 footers to one 80 footer and I have never seen any "Snobbery", we all have boating in common.
                    >
                    > Richard Norman
                    > S/V Silver Lining
                    >

                    > > It seems like it would be fun - I wonder how yatch clubs would react to a Mac 19 in their midst.

                  • Richard Norman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011

                      Well, it takes ll kinds.  You can find snobs and great folk just about anywhere you look.

                      Richard Norman

                      S/V Silver Lining

                      Tellico Lake, TN

                      865-408-7307

                      http://telliconormans.com/WP/

                      http://kiva.org/invitedby/richard9697

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011
                        Sometimes we sailors do feel a bit above most power boaters, especially when they're rude, noisy, reckless or just stupid.

                        We took our Mac to Douglas Lake a few years ago near where my cousin lives in Sevierville near Pidgeon Forge, Tennessee and had a funny/sad incident.  The ramp to the reservoir/lake is really long and concrete.  Just as we were launching, some idiot rednecks were rescued by the lake rangers.  Their powerboat had a big leak and had been sinking fast.  They ended up at the bottom of the ramp with their boat upside down.  Instead of righting  it with my offer of help and getting the trailer down the ramp, they dragged it up the whole ramp and ground off the top of their outboard plus other parts of the boat??

                        One thing about sailboats. Really dumb sailors can't figure out how to make them "go" so they stick with powerboats and often irritate us or create some humor like the first time boater who didn't remove the trailer from the boat while launching and wondered why his boat was so slow (with the trailer still attached).

                        Or the youtube video showing someone backing a van into a lake in order to get their jet ski into the van directly from the water and the van sinking completely into the lake, or the power boater who drove his truck into the lake nose first with the boat behind the truck??

                        When I was a boat dealer we actually had some power boat customers who couldn't figure out how to use the throttle lever so we charged them to install a foot pedal, often shaped like a real foot in chrome.  Of course, putting the boat in reverse became a challenge.