Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Solo Mod Tips

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 18, 2011
      thanks.  Amazing.  Looks like some of the luxury cruising BIG sailboats.  I especially liked your solar vent. I was even thinking of mounting one on my van roof for when I have to park in the hot sun.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 19, 2011
        Anyone had any experience servicing/repairing the Mac 19 daggerboard. I am about to explore tomorrow why mine doesn't seem to go up or down well or completely. Any thoughts. Also I just joined the group at Yahoo and am awaiting approval my the group's monitor.
        Barry Chaloner
        Durango, CO

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2011
          Barry,

          From my archives, mainly to do with the centerboard cable.

          There is a drawing of how the centerboard is rigged in the user instructions:

          Ron
          Mike,

          In the twelve years, I have had my Mac 19 I have repaired the centerboard cable twice. The first time it was done professionally while the boat hung on a crane beside the harbor pier. A new cable was fixed to the top of the centerboard pushed up through the cable housing and fixed to the pulley system in-board. This repair lasted for a season and then the cable came away from the centerboard again.

          This time I decided to fix the cable myself. We took the boat out of the water on the trailer. Then we undid the screws on the water ballast tank inspection hatches either side of where the centerboard bolt is fitted. This gave me access to the bolt, which easily unfastened liberating the centerboard. I had to jack-up the underside of the boat (lift it above the trailer) to enable the centerboard to fall free because it was held in place by a strut across the trailer. However, having got the centerboard away from the boat I was able to fix a new length of cable very securely to the fixing point at the head of the centerboard by crimping a copper piece around the cable ends -- having the  centerboard free I was able to do this properly which I think is where things fell down before.

          Then it was a case of putting the centerboard back in place, threading the cable up through the cable housing, re-inserting the bolt and  fixing it (using lots of sealant), refitting the inspection hatches (again using lots of sealant) and fixing the cable to the rope pulley system  in the boat.

          I suppose it took about a couple of hours, most of which was spent finding a way of jacking-up the boat to get the centerboard in and out (I used my car jack under a large piece of wood) and getting hold of a crimping tool and the copper bits with which to crimp the cable together.

          The good news is that the last time I did this was in 1996 and the centerboard has not given me a moment's problem since.

          Best of luck, Dane Sherrard

          Mac19 Olivebank on Loch Lomond in Scotland --  This e-mail comes from the Office of the Reverend Doctor H. Dane  Sherrard;  The Parish Churches of Arrochar and Luss;  The Manse, Luss, Argyll G83 8NZ  Telephone 01436 860240

          To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
          From: "safieradam" <Mad_Mac_Mod@...>
          Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:42:11 -0000
          Subject: Access Panels

          The floor "fittings" on either side of the mast are access panels.  You unscrew the 6 screws and pry them up.  They are caulked in.  Mark the edges before you take them up - the screws are unevenly spaced so you have to put them back exactly the same to match holes.

          Careful, they are fiberglass.  One of mine split horizontally - i.e. I ended up with 2 thin but whole plates which I simply glued together again.

          Anyway, they give you access to the ballast tank interior and the centerboard pivot bolt.  You put them back on with caulk and the screws - I used 3M 5200 and may regret it when I go to take them off again.  4100 may have been smarter.  No O ring.

          MMM - M19 "Fred"

          Hi Bruce
          When I was motoring along one day at about 22mph in about 4ft water making a turn last spring my centerboard cable came off the center board mounting brackets. Apparently the previous owner had it off at one time to paint it with antifouling paint. Anyway, I smacked it pretty good and took a huge chunk off the bottom and split it up the back some to. When I got the boat home I jacked the back of the boat way up off the trailer sat the boat back down on some big wooden bocks on the ground the front of the boat sitting on the trailer and some safety blocks between the trailer bed boards on the trailer and the boat. With the boat just resting on the safety blocks to keep it from tilting, I stacked up the rear blocks on the ground to the rear of the boat at the flat center keel section in front of the engine. I had to be real careful. I used a big 4"x8" block on its side on top of the jack so as not to put a hole through the hull and spread the load. I had to keep raising the jack up on blocks to get enough height to remove the centerboard. Anyway, I found the bolt for the centerboard cable still sitting in one of the centerboard brackets. The cable came out and the nut was missing. On further inspection I found that the bolt threads had been cross threaded and that you could only get a nut to go on about 1 1/2 turns. I guess some one had just reefed it that far and figured it would be ok. So my guess is it eventually vibrated loose. At the same time I found out why the dam thing was so hard to raise and lower. They had routed centerboard cable wrong it was running over the guide pin instead of running between the guide pin and the pulley. It sure goes up and down nice and easy running on the pulley. I thinking of cutting the bottom half of the old centerboard off which I had temp. repaired and adding a poss. 3/8" steel plate with a hinged v-wing on the bottom for better pointing and overall performance nothing like a little bit of experimenting when I've now got a spare centerboard to play with . By the way, Ida Sailor wanted about $700.00 for one of their centerboard which they wanted me to ship my old centerboard down to them so as they could make a mould and me pay for the shipping. I thought he should have gave me a centerboard at least for nothing as I was supplying him with a mould with which he was going to be making money from.? Anyway the Macgregor centerboard was less than half the price of the Ida sailor centerboard. By the way Bruce, when I made up my 4ft bow sprit I made up a support shroud wire from the bow eye to the 3/4 point on the bow sprit at West Marine. The manager of the store gave me a hand. They have the tools to do it. ("hand crimping only") They let you use them free of charge. Some West Marine Stores do have rigging people on staff. your centerboard cable has only one end that has to have an eye crimped on it. The other end you feed through to the inside of the boat and use a clamp to make an eye. Hope this helps. Jes, I'm long winded, eh? We got about 2ft of snow this week-end so I'll not be sailing any time soon
          See Ya John S. (maccutter19)
        • dan sullivan
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2011
            http://www.dougpile.com/mac19/p17.html#centerboard

            HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE ALL THE ORIGINAL HARDWARE.

            Annoying to say the least. I fixed mine on the trailer ( without opening the ballast ports) this year by swagging the smallest loop possible on the and of the cable (so you can get it thru the pulley) and replacing the annoying little nut and bolt on the CB with a clevis pin and small cotterpin.

            I used needle nose vice grips on the cotter pin and taped the clevis pin to a popsicle stick to get it in place.  It's a pain but much less than jacking up the boat, removing the water tank ports, hardware and everything else, and then resealing everything again.

            good luck.

            ds

            To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com